Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CarPlay solution for Tesla by Michal Gapinski using Raspberry Pi with Android

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How did you fix your issue mentioned in #44 ? This could help another user.

From the instructions:
"Audio output

Audio from Android is routed directly to your Tesla Browser.
Playback is allowed even when Drive or Reverse is engaged, meaning that there is no need to pair Tesla Android with your car using Bluetooth(Bluetooth link with the car is only used by your phone for Android Auto or CarPlay).
Audio output from Tesla Browser does not pause media playback from Tesla OS or CarPlay.
Not all apps support audio capture, this restriction will be removed in a feature update."
My apologies. I had the wrong Geekworm card

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricAnt54
@ElectricAnt54 on first glance it looks like you've got the correct Geekworm board. I've seemed to have issues with picture quality with my two Pi setup, and issues when I first built it. I think a lot of them have come down to that flimsy ribbon connection. I recall at least one instance where I found that the cable wasn't seated well and corrected it.

With the 1 Pi build I think I found the same thing. When I was messing around the other night I think re-seating that cable fixed the issue. And the issue was similar to what you've got - can view release notes but nothing else.

You may want to try a different HDMI to micro HDMI cable. It looks like you're not able to secure your board with the short one you have. I'd also be concerned that you don't have a heat sink and fan on your Pi. It's possible it's overheating and causing your issue.

Here's the cable I'm using

You may also want to try connecting the HDMI output of the Geekworm board direct to a TV or monitor. I'm pretty sure I did that briefly when putting together the first build, and it worked.

@ElectricAnt54 on first glance it looks like you've got the correct Geekworm board. I've seemed to have issues with picture quality with my two Pi setup, and issues when I first built it. I think a lot of them have come down to that flimsy ribbon connection. I recall at least one instance where I found that the cable wasn't seated well and corrected it.

With the 1 Pi build I think I found the same thing. When I was messing around the other night I think re-seating that cable fixed the issue. And the issue was similar to what you've got - can view release notes but nothing else.

You may want to try a different HDMI to micro HDMI cable. It looks like you're not able to secure your board with the short one you have. I'd also be concerned that you don't have a heat sink and fan on your Pi. It's possible it's overheating and causing your issue.

Here's the cable I'm using

You may also want to try connecting the HDMI output of the Geekworm board direct to a TV or monitor. I'm pretty sure I did that briefly when putting together the first build, and it worked.
Great tips. I figured out my issue. The ribbon which connected geek worm to pi was a tad loose and might not have had a good connection. But more importantly, I did not have the micro HDMI plugged in to PI properly. On my system there was a substantial "click" which needed to happen which indicated proper insertion of the cable. Previoulsy I did not push the cable in far enough.

Reactions: timeshifter
The developer said that removing the geek worm card is next up on his list of priorities. That can’t come soon enough. I think once that happens this project will really take off. The issues you had and I had with it are a big deal. Plus the parts needed to build, like the case, etc. is going to make putting all these together so much simpler.

That looks like the one I got. Took it to an AT&T store and got a SIM there, regular sized SIM.

He has an offline mode where you don't need that, but I haven't tried it yet.
What
Offline mode requires you to turn off WIFI or the RPI in order to unlock your car automatically, so I won't be using that mode. I don't know much about the LTE. Once AT&T set you up with a SIM card, is there a monthly fee for usage? How much?
Simply turning off wifi in the car didn’t work for me. The car would just turn wifi back on when I leave and connect to the pi. Only workaround I found was to just forget the network and just add the password to connect to the wifi when needed.

Hey everyone. I finally got it to work. A few things I noticed while setting it up.
  • With the CarPlay adapter, you need to make sure you update the version on the pi with the latest from the adapter maker’s website. The APK included in the project files is outdated from 2021 and never recognized my phone when connected. The instructions with the adapter link point here: http://121.40.123.198:8080/AutoKit/AutoKit.apk
  • Use the USB-C port on your Tesla if not using a 12v adapter. It will give you enough power to run properly. I have a Jeda hub and the usb-A ports weren’t enough.
  • Def use the layout that timeshifter shared if you’re doing any of the solutions. Those aren’t explained at all on the project website, at least not on the latest version of instructions.
Good luck! Waiting for the No capture card iteration.

I'm currently experiencing the red wheel of death RWOD

1665085409330.png

It's been working fine today. I've been parked for a while, on phone, etc. The CarPlay screen was still visible but noticed that the time wasn't current, so I refreshed browser. My phone is still connected via WiFi to CarLinkit device. I'm actually posting this by connecting to the TeslaAndroid WiFi, so it's got connectivity.

Also I noticed. I turned off Tesla's WiFi. I can still click on the red banner in the top right and get release notes.

Gonna power cycle Pi and see if that helps.

And it did. Took almost exactly two minutes from the time I powered it on for the Tesla-Android WiFi signal to be visible. When it came on I noticed CarPlay came on the screen immediately, so the car must have joined the WiFi the moment it saw it. Note that I'm parked away from home and any networks that my car already knows.

Last edited:
I'm currently experiencing the red wheel of death RWOD

View attachment 860769
It's been working fine today. I've been parked for a while, on phone, etc. The CarPlay screen was still visible but noticed that the time wasn't current, so I refreshed browser. My phone is still connected via WiFi to CarLinkit device. I'm actually posting this by connecting to the TeslaAndroid WiFi, so it's got connectivity.

Also I noticed. I turned off Tesla's WiFi. I can still click on the red banner in the top right and get release notes.

Gonna power cycle Pi and see if that helps.

And it did. Took almost exactly two minutes from the time I powered it on for the Tesla-Android WiFi signal to be visible. When it came on I noticed CarPlay came on the screen immediately, so the car must have joined the WiFi the moment it saw it. Note that I'm parked away from home and any networks that my car already knows.
I got something similar when re-connecting to the pi via wifi. I ended up having to reboot the pi

Had a 2 stack set up running perfectly and switched to one Pi and there was a lot of lag. Tried to go back to the 2 Pis and now I'm getting an error message "virtual touchscreen is not active". I can't progress past this. Reinstalled all the code several times with no luck! Any help would be appreciated!

I think most of the RWODs are related to the capture board and its connections. Ribbon cables, HDMI cables, you may need to reattach cables or purchase new ones to make sure those connections are stable and maintained.
There is no way to check the status of the capture, and this is a very tedious process.

Everyone has pointed out the lack of explanation on the website, and that’s exactly right.
However that text is maintained in git, so anyone can send a improvement via pull request.
Maybe this forum thread could summarize what should be added to the website.

Had a 2 stack set up running perfectly and switched to one Pi and there was a lot of lag. Tried to go back to the 2 Pis and now I'm getting an error message "virtual touchscreen is not active". I can't progress past this. Reinstalled all the code several times with no luck! Any help would be appreciated!
I guess you used the same SD card for the new 1 Pi build, so you're rewriting the card to go back? For anyone thinking about going from two Pi to one I'd recommend getting a second SD card and keeping the old one in tact. That's what I did and I've thought about going back.

I seem to recall a similar issue on my first build of the two Pi. Don't recall exactly but seems like it was some kind of IP or DNS setting I skipped or missed. May want to look through the old thread, starting at post 284 where I may have faced the same issue

I think most of the RWODs are related to the capture board and its connections. Ribbon cables, HDMI cables, you may need to reattach cables or purchase new ones to make sure those connections are stable and maintained.
There is no way to check the status of the capture, and this is a very tedious process.
After my troubles this afternoon where I had to reboot, it only worked for a while. I rebooted and messed with it for my next two stops. Then after being away for about an hour and a half I rebooted and it was working for the drive home.

Was thinking it would be nice if there was some kind of terminal we could SSH into on the Android Pi and see what's happening. When I'm getting RWOD I can often connect to the Pi WiFi and even get out to the Internet through it and ping 9.9.0.1 too.