Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CarPlay solution for Tesla by Michal Gapinski using Raspberry Pi with Android

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking to get CarPlay on your Tesla. This solution is the best I've found so far. The developer just released a simplified version that only requires one Raspberry Pi computer. It's not a finished plug and play product. You need to get your hands dirty a little bit. But, it works great. And I would know as I've tried three or four other approaches in the last year and a half.

A lot of those have been thoroughly covered in this thread, but it's got over 300 posts over 18 months and discusses lots of solutions.

I thought it might be best to have a thread dedicated to this solution. So here it is.

For the most up to date information you can check the developer's Twitter pages at:

Presently I'm running the two Raspberry Pi solution and am quite pleased. I'll be trying the single board version soon.

What type of rpie4 case / enclosure seems to work well with the current setup which uses the geek worm Hdmi to CSI-2 C779 plus using recommended argon mini fan? Does the hdmi to csi-2 stay in the case or does it hang outside and needs its own enclosure?
Maybe this will help. Apparently someone is using a case by Geekworm who I think makes that HDMI device too.

Although it looks like the developer might be moving fast to remove the need for that board.

The new instructions are pretty limited and I didn't see where he explains the hardware layout. Glad timeshifter posted that image of the 1 pi setup.

Separately, I followed the instructions and tried connecting to my pi, but was getting an error saying Tesla couldn't get the IP address. Anyone else come across this?

Here's my current 2 board setup, laid out on the kitchen table to make it easier to understand. Most of the pics I had seen make it tough to discern what you're looking at.

1. Raspberry Pi 4 8GB (Android)
  2. Raspberry Pi 4 2GB (Linux)
  3. Geekworm TC358743XBG HDMI-CSI-2
  4. Short microHDMI to HDMI cable
  5. Carlinkit CarPlay adapter
  6. 12V (cigarette lighter) power adapter to two USB-C ports
  7. USB-C to USB-C cables
  8. Alcatel IK41UC USB LTE modem
rpi-tesla-android-2pi-setup.png

Here's my current 2 board setup, laid out on the kitchen table to make it easier to understand. Most of the pics I had seen make it tough to discern what you're looking at.

7. USB-C to USB-C cables
View attachment 858700
This is what was needed on the Tesla Android project page back when I was trying to get the 2 pi setup working. Thank you, good sir!

I'm hoping the community can fill in the gaps in the instructions on the 1 pi setup. Can't get my Tesla to connect to the pi's wifi.

Reactions: pilotSteve

7. USB-C to USB-C cables
View attachment 858700

For the LTE card, do I need a Nano SIM card for activation? Is that something I need to buy or have a contract with a provider?

For the LTE card, do I need a Nano SIM card for activation? Is that something I need to buy or have a contract with a provider?

I think I answered my own question. I found this on EBAY. It comes with a SIM card for TMOBILE.

Do you have this or something different?

I think I answered my own question. I found this on EBAY. It comes with a SIM card for TMOBILE.

Do you have this or something different?
That looks like the one I got. Took it to an AT&T store and got a SIM there, regular sized SIM.

He has an offline mode where you don't need that, but I haven't tried it yet.

That looks like the one I got. Took it to an AT&T store and got a SIM there, regular sized SIM.

He has an offline mode where you don't need that, but I haven't tried it yet.

Offline mode requires you to turn off WIFI or the RPI in order to unlock your car automatically, so I won't be using that mode. I don't know much about the LTE. Once AT&T set you up with a SIM card, is there a monthly fee for usage? How much?

Having to turn the system off when you exit the car isn’t necessarily a bad thing. I’ve been using mine for about two months. I normally leave it on during the day as I come and go. The problem is, whenever I get near the car whatever audio I had playing will start playing on my phone’s speaker before I get in the car.

Not a problem if I’m headed to the car to get in and drive. But at home and while I’m out and about I frequently will walk near the car. It’s getting pretty annoying.