Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CarPlay solution for Tesla by Michal Gapinski using Raspberry Pi with Android

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow. Thanks for the tip @EMEV . i am adventurous enough to try it šŸ¤£.
Ok. Iā€™m less adventurous this morning. Dreaded dealing with more cables and gadgets in car. Iā€™ll wait to see if next version of single pi setup fixes lte modem issue. So far, I have not missed the tesla not having connectivity too much. But eventually Iā€™ll want to set temperature via voice again and open the glovebox via voice šŸ¤£.

Reactions: EMEV
Ok. Iā€™m less adventurous this morning. Dreaded dealing with more cables and gadgets in car. Iā€™ll wait to see if next version of single pi setup fixes lte modem issue. So far, I have not missed the tesla not having connectivity too much. But eventually Iā€™ll want to set temperature via voice again and open the glovebox via voice šŸ¤£.

I understand and would also much prefer for the simpler solution if it worked but since I already had this travel router for other purposes it will fit the bill until the one pi solution is working.

Reactions: ElectricAnt54
I've been using the single raspberry pi setup for a few days. I like it but there are quirks with apple car play due to the carlinkit / autokitt software which are not present in my hansshow 9" linux console display system. Here is what I have noticed within Apple CarPlay when using the single pi.

1) When listening to a podcast, navigation audio from maps will pause the podcast and podcast will not resume again after nav audio is done. However, when listening to music, the music is paused and played correctly.
Solutions / Workarounds:
A) To continue playing the podcast push the left steering wheel button inwards. This is play/pause. This can be annoying if you have many audio directions.
B) Turn off spoken navigation directions via CarPlay's interface when in map mode and it is providing navigation.
C) In Maps settings on the phone (it only appears on phones) set the spoken audio section to not pause audio. The navigation audio will be spoken louder than the podcast & music audio

2) If you ask Siri to perform a task such as tell you a joke or tell you the time, music and podcast audio will be paused and not resume when Siri is done speaking. To continue playing the audio push the left steering wheel button inwards. This is play/pause.

Autokit & CarPlay Tips:
1) When asking Siri to do something wait for the deep "beep" tone which happens after Siri talks. If you talk before this, Siri probably did not hear you.

2) If you hold down the icon in the lower left of CarPlay screen which looks like rows of small squares, Siri will ask you how it can help you. This is an alternative to yelling "hey Siri".

3) If you overclocked your raspberry pi and have the cooler tower, set autokit's preferences to be 60 frame per second (FPS). You can optionally lower CarPlay resolution in the prefs. Bumping resolution down by one + 60 FPS + overclocking with cooling tower yields a very smooth CarPlay. However, I like the extra resolution so I leave mine at the highest and it still seems pretty smooth.

4) If you encounter a grey screen after auto kit links with your CarPlay / android auto. You can still swipe upwards from bottom to top to get the the android os's "kill app" screen. Kill auto kit. Then on your phone turn off CarPlay / android auto. Then start auto kit. Then turn on CarPlay / android auto on your phone. This is what I do for CarPlay and it always gets me out of the situation.

I came across the project a couple weeks ago before taking delivery of my used Model Y. I cannot find any MSRP RPi 4anywhere as it's sold out but surprisingly there's people price gauging it all over the place. Wondering if the Odroid board would work the same as the RPi 4. Have anyone used alternative board for this?

I had the two-pi setup running a while ago but abandoned it because it got too hot in the center console. This thread inspired me to try out the 1-pi setup and just finished setting it up. I was getting the spinning red ring until I switched the micro-hdmi connector to connect to the more central one - next to the audio jack. Haven't tested it in my car yet, but on my laptop, the display pops up immediately after the wifi network becomes available and I connect to it. I had to reboot the Pi after swapping the HDMI slot - it didn't work until I did so.

IMG_6425.jpg

I had the two-pi setup running a while ago but abandoned it because it got too hot in the center console. This thread inspired me to try out the 1-pi setup and just finished setting it up. I was getting the spinning red ring until I switched the micro-hdmi connector to connect to the more central one - next to the audio jack. Haven't tested it in my car yet, but on my laptop, the display pops up immediately after the wifi network becomes available and I connect to it. I had to reboot the Pi after swapping the HDMI slot - it didn't work until I did so.

View attachment 865011
I have single pi setup. You might encounter heat issues. Developer uses an open enclosure and using a cooler tower (not yet in the instructions but on twitter). I did as developer suggests & do not have heat issues.

Reactions: minnesnowta
For those having problems (or related problems) with the WiFi and the Capture Card - I was having random WiFi dropouts/no connection and random Capture Card image problems (image freeze, spinning red wheel, etc...) and after some trial and error found out that the Capture Card, Geekworm X630 (Black), was creating some intermittent problems (the flexible flat cable connecting to the X630 was good and well seated). I switched to the Geekworm C779 (Green) and it resolved the WiFi problems and the image problems.

I am not sure if the X630 card I have is bad or it creates those intermittent problems. In any case my two cents experience.

Reactions: timeshifter
For those having problems (or related problems) with the WiFi and the Capture Card - I was having random WiFi dropouts/no connection and random Capture Card image problems (image freeze, spinning red wheel, etc...) and after some trial and error found out that the Capture Card, Geekworm X630 (Black), was creating some intermittent problems (the flexible flat cable connecting to the X630 was good and well seated). I switched to the Geekworm C779 (Green) and it resolved the WiFi problems and the image problems.

I am not sure if the X630 card I have is bad or it creates those intermittent problems. In any case my two cents experience.
For me, So far no big issues when Geekworm X630 (Black). Been using the setup for about 4 days on long drives. I could be šŸ€ lucky.
my main issue is that the first power up of the day which happens in the morning when car is cold is characterized by browser never connecting to pie, just grey screen With message about waiting to connect. I power pi off after 10 minutes and then power pi on and it works the next time. Developer mentions this tip in documentation.
My suspicion is the geek worm could be cold and needs to warm up. Perhaps Iā€™ll keep the pi in my house overnight for a few consecutive days so geekworm is prewarmed šŸ¤£ as a test.

Last edited:

I'm having random issues again today. (Note, I went back to the single Pi build about a week ago when I got some new ribbon cables). I think the issues started when I disturbed the system by plugging in a USB to Lightning cable into the Carlink adapter. Eventually I pulled it all out and reseated the ribbon cable on the Geekworm card. It's working OK now. I have the X630 (Black) version.

If you're implementing this system and haven't bought a Geekworm card yet, wait. The release where it's all done is software is imminent.

I'm having random issues again today. (Note, I went back to the single Pi build about a week ago when I got some new ribbon cables). I think the issues started when I disturbed the system by plugging in a USB to Lightning cable into the Carlink adapter. Eventually I pulled it all out and reseated the ribbon cable on the Geekworm card. It's working OK now. I have the X630 (Black) version.

If you're implementing this system and haven't bought a Geekworm card yet, wait. The release where it's all done is software is imminent.
I use wired CarPlay too via an carlinkit from 2021. I keep the lighting / usb plugged in to carlinkit but I only connect phone after running autokit manually. I find if my phone is plugged in before autokit runs, often the whole android os slows down and becomes unresponsive until I unplug phone. Just happened to me before I sent this post.

I set up Tasker on the Pi and was able to configure two tasks:
  1. When my phone is connected to the pi via bluetooth, enable hotspot (so it broadcasts Tesla-Android_XXXX wifi network)
  2. When my phone disconnects from the pi via bluetooth, disable hotspot
I haven't tested it much, but it seems promising to have the hotspot disable when I walk away from the car so that the car will disconnect from the Pi and use its LTE connection. Since the Pi remains on, I can begin using CarPlay within seconds after connecting back to the Pi via bluetooth.

Has anyone come up with a better solution? I might switch the "trigger" to be when I plug/unplug the carlinkit USB adapter, but that requires me remebering to unplug the carlinkit from the Pi when I leave, which is not as foolproof as the bluetooth solution. The only issue with the bluetooth solution is that sometimes my phone just randomly disconnects from the Pi, which then shuts off the wifi.

Reactions: timeshifter
I would appreciate if anyone could help me out on this. I followed the installation guide to flash the img files to the Pi. No errors during flashing and executing the commands. However, after the last reboot, Pi boots into u-Boot and starting kernel, then it just blacks out after that. I've tried with 3 different SDcards and all the same result. Loaded Pi OS on another SD card to make sure it's not the board but OS loaded up just fine.

Not sure how to proceed further from here.

P/S: Flashed img using both balenaEtcher and Raspberry Pi Image Imager did no difference in the result.

I would appreciate if anyone could help me out on this. I followed the installation guide to flash the img files to the Pi. No errors during flashing and executing the commands. However, after the last reboot, Pi boots into u-Boot and starting kernel, then it just blacks out after that. I've tried with 3 different SDcards and all the same result. Loaded Pi OS on another SD card to make sure it's not the board but OS loaded up just fine.

Not sure how to proceed further from here.

P/S: Flashed img using both balenaEtcher and Raspberry Pi Image Imager did no difference in the result.
Actually I just noticed that after booting into U-Boot, below is the error message, is this normal? I was still able to find the device in fastboot devices and execute the commands in the instructions.

P/S: I setup under Windows environment

4134 bytes read in 13s (310.5 KiB/s)
## Executing script at 03000000
Could not find "misc" partition
** Bad device specification mms 0#misc **
Couldn't find partition mmc 0#misc

When I get in the car my iPhone doesn't consistently connect to the CarLinkit device / CarPlay. This is not the fault of the Pi project. It was temperamental when I was using it with Android tablets last year.

I have the CPC200-Autokit model Carlinkit adapter, that I bought about a year ago

On the Pi it shows that it's running AutoKit.apk version 2021.06.01.0952. I don't know what firmware level I'm on. The current AutoKit.apk is 2022.06.06.1609 according to this

Any reason not to update to this latest APK?

Should I try to upgrade the firmware on my unit?

There is also a model CPC200-CCPA that I believe is newer.

Michal says for wireless Android Auto order the CPC200-CCPA. I don't ever expect to need wireless Android Auto. But I wouldn't mind buying that one if it's somehow newer / better.

Is the CPC200-CCPA better?