Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CarPlay solution for Tesla by Michal Gapinski using Raspberry Pi with Android

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I get in the car my iPhone doesn't consistently connect to the CarLinkit device / CarPlay. This is not the fault of the Pi project. It was temperamental when I was using it with Android tablets last year.

I have the CPC200-Autokit model Carlinkit adapter, that I bought about a year ago

On the Pi it shows that it's running AutoKit.apk version 2021.06.01.0952. I don't know what firmware level I'm on. The current AutoKit.apk is 2022.06.06.1609 according to this

Any reason not to update to this latest APK?

Should I try to upgrade the firmware on my unit?

There is also a model CPC200-CCPA that I believe is newer.

Michal says for wireless Android Auto order the CPC200-CCPA. I don't ever expect to need wireless Android Auto. But I wouldn't mind buying that one if it's somehow newer / better.

Is the CPC200-CCPA better?
I have two carlinkit dongles. One from 2021 which is wired only. I also have CPC200-CCPA (wireless and wired).

I was hoping to use wired connection but no matter what I do, I find this scenario to cause instability with anderoid os itself! Just having the usb-a to lightening cable plugged in to carlinkit & not phone seemed to cause issues. Connecting everything after autokit was running yielded best results but what a pain! And even then anderoid would often freeze up / screen unresponsive or become sluggish.
Now I just gave up and use wireless and it is much more stable.

Have you tried different cables?

Does your phone connect to CarPlay wirelessly every time... is it consistent and reliable?
Wireless is very consistent for me. Usually it connects so quickly I do not see main autokit screen! If I want to change autokit settings, I turn off the CarPlay option on my phone 🤣.
I am using autokit 2022.04.29.1750 . Box version is 2022.04.25.1317 . If I connect pi to internet, autokit will ask if I want to install an update. In past, this update caused instability and removed all the vendor icons you can set for the exit button which appears in CarPlay. I have not worked up the energy to test the newer update again. If it ain’t broke, why fix it 🤣.

I have not tried any other usb-a to lightening cables. I am using a high quality anker cable which is sturdier than apple’s. I’ll try apple though just in case it is cable issue.

I’ve been driving all morning via wireless setup and so much more stable than when I use wired. Don’t fear the wireless, let the data flow in to the air 🤣.

You don't use the LTE stick, right?

I do, and the only time I saw it ask for an update was the very first time I ran it after build. I guess I could just go in to the settings and force an update.
LTE doesn’t work for me. Probably will in 10/31/2022 release. To update autokit. I uninstalled it on pi. Using home computer I downloaded the autokit version i mentioned previosly, it was the latest available on internet As of a few weeks ago. Saved it on a fat32 usb stick. Plugged usb stick in to pi. Used pi’s file browser to launch the autokit install file. Although I used latest version on internet autokit would ask me to apply an update if pi had internet access. I forget if this only happens if I enter prefs or not as it would be annoying to get that update request all the time. I suspect the requested update was a minor patch to remove all the car logo icons and only leave a generic icon remaining. perhaps due to request by automakers… 🤷‍♂️just a guess too Swamped to keep track 🤣

Box version is at 2021.05.06.2039 but has another update that “Reduce product power consumption and heat generation”

And now they’re both fully up to date, box version is now 2021.08.30.1821

Hope this means my connections to CarPlay will be more consistent.

Box version is at 2021.05.06.2039 but has another update that “Reduce product power consumption and heat generation”

And now they’re both fully up to date, box version is now 2021.08.30.1821

Hope this means my connections to CarPlay will be more consistent.
where did you find release notes? All I ever see is a link to download the update file via carlinkit page. Would be nice to read the change log.

Anyone else just stuck on "Please insert the product" ?
I followed all the instructions on the website, got the PI 4B 4GB to boot up, everything seemed to work so well, but I can't get AutoKit to recognize the CarLinkit.
I tried with 2 different Carlinkits, CPC200-U2W-Plus 2021.07.04.2222 and CPC200-CP2A 2022.06.09.1652. None of them work with AutoKit, while both work in my other car (non tesla, OEM Carplay) without an issue.
They power just fine, show the wifi network, have a red LED, just never makes any connection to AutoKit

I have also updated the Autokit firmware to the latest, thinking it would solve the issue, but it didn't.
Is there a way to check Autokit logs, or enter debug mode? I feel helpless just looking at the display hoping for things to work.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-20 at 11.47.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-20 at 11.47.02 PM.png
    449.1 KB · Views: 120
  • Screen Shot 2022-10-20 at 11.44.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-20 at 11.44.49 PM.png
    874.4 KB · Views: 68
  • Screen Shot 2022-10-20 at 11.44.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-20 at 11.44.24 PM.png
    557.5 KB · Views: 72
  • Screen Shot 2022-10-20 at 11.39.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-20 at 11.39.09 PM.png
    691.2 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Anyone else just stuck on "Please insert the product" ?
I followed all the instructions on the website, got the PI 4B 4GB to boot up, everything seemed to work so well, but I can't get AutoKit to recognize the CarLinkit.
I tried with 2 different Carlinkits, CPC200-U2W-Plus 2021.07.04.2222 and CPC200-CP2A 2022.06.09.1652. None of them work with AutoKit, while both work in my other car (non tesla, OEM Carplay) without an issue.
They power just fine, show the wifi network, have a red LED, just never makes any connection to AutoKit

I have also updated the Autokit firmware to the latest, thinking it would solve the issue, but it didn't.
Is there a way to check Autokit logs, or enter debug mode? I feel helpless just looking at the display hoping for things to work.
You are using incorrect hardware. for example , CPC200-U2W-Plus only works with a car that already has wired CarPlay from factory. you need to use devices which mention working with android or android based car headsets. i did not check your other device. I leave that up to you.

product description (avoid donglescwhich only work with factory installed CarPlay or android auto):
This (CPC200-U2W-Plus) will convert your wired CarPlay to WIRELESS - Carlinkit. Compatible with Audi/ Porsche/ Volvo/ Volkswagen/ Mercedes-Benz/ Hyundai/ Honda Civic CR-V/ Peugeot Chevrolet/ Ford SYNC 3.4/ Mazda CX-5 Artz/ KIA / Skoda/ GMC/ RAM/ toyota/ land rover/ subaru...and so on. These cars must have the factory wired CarPlay function

Last edited:
Well my setup was working great until I updated to the latest Autokit 2022.08.18.1707 (not available on web, auto kit app asks to update and gives you this). Life was nice for a few days and then as soon as I started running auto kit, the pi would slow to a crawl. I was using wireless CarPlay mode too. I think I'll downgrade to 2022.06.06.1609 . I know 2022.04.29.1750. was very stable for me.

My Tesla firmware is still at 2022.28.2 (I swear I am always in the last batch of cars to get the updates) which is known to have web browser issues which cause inefficiency so not sure if that is also causing issues.

Well my setup was working great until I updated to the latest Autokit 2022.08.18.1707 (not available on web, auto kit app asks to update and gives you this). Life was nice for a few days and then as soon as I started running auto kit, the pi would slow to a crawl. I was using wireless CarPlay mode too. I think I'll downgrade to 2022.06.06.1609 . I know 2022.04.29.1750. was very stable for me.

My Tesla firmware is still at 2022.28.2 (I swear I am always in the last batch of cars to get the updates) which is known to have web browser issues which cause inefficiency so not sure if that is also causing issues.
I'm also on the latest AutoKit (auto updated within the app) and it seems very laggy and slow. Carlinkit website only show the version 06.06.1609 but not 04.29.1750. I assume we have to reflash Tesla Android to get that version if it deems to be the most stable version.

I set up Tasker on the Pi and was able to configure two tasks:
  1. When my phone is connected to the pi via bluetooth, enable hotspot (so it broadcasts Tesla-Android_XXXX wifi network)
  2. When my phone disconnects from the pi via bluetooth, disable hotspot
I haven't tested it much, but it seems promising to have the hotspot disable when I walk away from the car so that the car will disconnect from the Pi and use its LTE connection. Since the Pi remains on, I can begin using CarPlay within seconds after connecting back to the Pi via bluetooth.

Has anyone come up with a better solution? I might switch the "trigger" to be when I plug/unplug the carlinkit USB adapter, but that requires me remebering to unplug the carlinkit from the Pi when I leave, which is not as foolproof as the bluetooth solution. The only issue with the bluetooth solution is that sometimes my phone just randomly disconnects from the Pi, which then shuts off the wifi.
Did you install tasker via the App Store that comes with the build?

I'm also on the latest AutoKit (auto updated within the app) and it seems very laggy and slow. Carlinkit website only show the version 06.06.1609 but not 04.29.1750. I assume we have to reflash Tesla Android to get that version if it deems to be the most stable version.
A new version of tesla-android will be released on 10/31, might want to wait for that before tinkering more. i tend to save all the versions of autokit that I download. I then put the versions on a usb drive and plug it in to the pi. Via anderoid os , I uninstall and install whatever version I want to test out. I have not found a place on internet which has multiple versions available To download….perhaps there Is one or you can ask carlinkit customer service.

Last edited:
A new version of tesla-android will be released on 10/31, might want to wait for that before tinkering more. i tend to save all the versions of autokit that I download. I then put the versions on a usb drive and plug it in to the pi. Via anderoid os , I uninstall and install whatever version I want to test out. I have not found a place on internet which has multiple versions available To download….perhaps there Is one or you can ask carlinkit customer service.
I reinstalled the version 06.06.1740 instead and it’s been flawless. However, I have not put it to test in the car so it might not be performing the same (heat issue in small space under center console). But that could no longer be an issue as Michal tweeted that version 44.1 does not produce much heat.

I'm going to try to lay low and not tinker until the new release comes out. I've ordered a two pack of microSD cards in preparation (nice to pop an old one back in to revert to a prior working version if the new one blows up). Now that the capture card is gone that opens up the case choices.

Anyone got a recommendation for a case that works with the tower cooler?

I'm going to try to lay low and not tinker until the new release comes out. I've ordered a two pack of microSD cards in preparation (nice to pop an old one back in to revert to a prior working version if the new one blows up). Now that the capture card is gone that opens up the case choices.

Anyone got a recommendation for a case that works with the tower cooler?
I got this but have not set it up yet. Case came with a fan too. I figured it would be good to have an extra.

GeeekPi Raspberry Pi 4 Case with ICE Tower Cooler CPU Cooling Fan,Raspberry Pi 4 Case with Fan Raspberry Pi Heatsink Raspberry Pi Fan Raspberry Pi Case for Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Amazon.com

4E1D8FF5-2207-41F9-A934-615DEEFD8A41.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: timeshifter