Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CarPlay solution for Tesla by Michal Gapinski using Raspberry Pi with Android

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any one know the exact process to upgrade from 2022.44.2 to 2022.45.1? The guide says simple flash the new android image... but does anyone know how that is done?
It is technically a reinstall. I assume you used the single image method to install 2022.44.2, the process is the same.

summary if your microSD card is larger than 32GB
1) download the single image install. Leave it as a zip file .

2) use an image writer tool such as the below. The OS image will be the zip File. You’ll want to use the option for writing a generic os image.

if you experience an error after the image is written, try unzipping the os image and use the unzipped file with the os image writing tool or use a Mac or Linux, people are reporting no issues on Mac but Windows is sometimes having an issue right now.

generic tutorial for writing the os image to microSD card:

Last edited:
Reactions: Kevin Smith
It is technically a reinstall. I assume you used the single image method to install 2022.44.2, the process is the same.

summary if your microSD card is larger than 32GB
1) download the single image install. Leave it as a zip file .

2) use an image writer tool such as the below. The OS image will be the zip File. You’ll want to use the option for writing a generic os image.

if you experience an error after the image is written, try unzipping the os image and use the unzipped file with the os image writing tool or use a Mac or Linux, people are reporting no issues on Mac but Windows is sometimes having an issue right now.

generic tutorial for writing the os image to microSD card:
Ok so there isnt a way to preserve your android / autokit settings using this method. I ended up doing what you described, but wanted to see if the "upgrade" process was different and can preserve settings.

Reactions: ElectricAnt54
Installing the new build tonight.

For reference I tested boot time for 2022.44.1 and kept scanning every 15 seconds to see when WiFi (for AutoKit-XXXX and Tesla-Android-XXXX) came up.

30 seconds - AutoKit-XXXX visible
1 min 45 seconds - Tesla-Android-XXXX visible

1 min 30 seconds - Tesla-Android-XXXX visible

A crude test, but may show that the hotspot comes online 15 seconds sooner with the latest release.
@timeshifter For me:
2022.45.1 timings:
1 min 18 seconds - Tesla-Android-XXXX visible

My microSD is SAMSUNG PRO Endurance 128GB MicroSDXC Class 10, U3, V30 (‎MB-MJ128KA/AM). 100 mb/sec read rate.

Looking to get CarPlay on your Tesla. This solution is the best I've found so far. The developer just released a simplified version that only requires one Raspberry Pi computer. It's not a finished plug and play product. You need to get your hands dirty a little bit. But, it works great. And I would know as I've tried three or four other approaches in the last year and a half.

A lot of those have been thoroughly covered in this thread, but it's got over 300 posts over 18 months and discusses lots of solutions.

I thought it might be best to have a thread dedicated to this solution. So here it is.

For the most up to date information you can check the developer's Twitter pages at:

Presently I'm running the two Raspberry Pi solution and am quite pleased. I'll be trying the single board version soon.
I have to admit, for a novice like myself, it wasn't TOO bad. Had to learn a lot on my own while following his instructions. Overall, great. although I have the Argon Fan Hat he recommended. It says to run a script to control the fan, which I did in Raspbian, but when I put the SIM card that has the Tesla Android Project, it just runs. Is there a way to enter Terminal while running the Tesla Android Project, so I can re-enter the script? Thanks!

What features are lost if you don't implement the LTE modem? I don't really care about the premium connectivity features.

the tesla won’t have a connection to internet so I think you know a lot won’t be available.

You can not use tesla voice commands such as “set temperature to 69 degrees” Or “open glovebox”

I think very basic nav still works since it uses gps and map data mostly but features such as looking for supercharger availability won’t work & ability for tesla nav to warn you about weather events or battery range estimates changing due to weather or update battery availability along route. Tesla nav might not know about traffic conditions and pick a poor route for you. Then again not a big deal if you use Apple Maps, or other CarPlay nav apps.

nontesla streamed music/podcasts/Spotify but you get all that from CarPlay instead. With better gui usually.

if you need tesla to have internet for some reason just turn off wifi. I have a $6 monthly plan from Tello (in USA)

@timeshifter For me:
2022.45.1 timings:
1 min 18 seconds - Tesla-Android-XXXX visible

My microSD is SAMSUNG PRO Endurance 128GB MicroSDXC Class 10, U3, V30 (‎MB-MJ128KA/AM). 100 mb/sec read rate.
I wonder just how fast you can go and what the benefits might be. There are cards that will do 250MB / sec. Would they load in 30 seconds instead of a minute and 18 seconds?

I did as well I had to extract It first then write it to the card.
I had to extract first then used raspberry pi imager on windows.. video is still choppy but most of my movies are 24p Kodi nor any other video player I could find will change the refresh to 24 to hopefully get smoother video

USB tethering working great from an old pixel 3a I had laying around

I had to extract first then used raspberry pi imager on windows.. video is still choppy but most of my movies are 24p Kodi nor any other video player I could find will change the refresh to 24 to hopefully get smoother video

I saw a tweet saying hardware video decoding hasn’t been released yet. Developer is testing it. perhaps feature would speed up movie playback.

Reactions: gt2690b
Curious. I've got an Android phone that would work well for this. It would be cheaper on a monthly basis than the USB LTE modem. But I wonder about day in and day out usability.

With the USB LTE modem I don't have to do anything. If the Pi is on the modem is on. There's nothing to charge or unlock or anything.

With a phone I guess you just leave it on and connected to USB. Do you ever need to unlock the phone and turn stuff on or off? Or can you just set it and forget it?

Curious. I've got an Android phone that would work well for this. It would be cheaper on a monthly basis than the USB LTE modem. But I wonder about day in and day out usability.

With the USB LTE modem I don't have to do anything. If the Pi is on the modem is on. There's nothing to charge or unlock or anything.

With a phone I guess you just leave it on and connected to USB. Do you ever need to unlock the phone and turn stuff on or off? Or can you just set it and forget it?
Right now I have to enable USB tethering everytime but could probably setup an IFTT to turn it on when power comes on... Not there yet though since the whole system is not really ready for primetime imo

Thought I'd check to see if others have noticed the following regarding Siri voice becoming muted more often.

tesla-android 2022.45.1 Siri nav audio seems to be muted more frequently in this build than before. Previously it might happen once during a long drive. Now it seems to happen a few times during a long drive.

Ever since I switched to 2022.45.1 I've noticed that the Siri nav audio from maps becomes muted more often than in the past versions. To restore Siri nav audio, I need to go to Tesla bluetooth audio source guy, push pause and play again. Perhaps I can do this via Tesla voice commands in future. Then go back to Tesla browser. I find very hard to reproduce the problem 100% but it seems to happen more often if I use the left steering wheel buttons for skipping to next song or back & pause/play. Also seems to happen more often if I use Tesla voice commands such as "turn off hvac".."set temperature to xxx degrees".

Anyone else notice this? I think 2022.45.1 also uses a different version of autokit than previous release. Not sure if it is autokit related or android os related.

65FA26D9-FC24-4F93-ADF1-06F7ECC2B6A5.jpeg

I can’t get past this screen. Wonder if the issue is the carlinkit dongle I’m using. CPC200-U2W

Attachments

• D8BDF5A3-E215-43CC-8F2A-66ECF897AC59.jpeg
    D8BDF5A3-E215-43CC-8F2A-66ECF897AC59.jpeg
    292.6 KB · Views: 54
  • B2CBACBE-F8FA-4380-996F-F6342B4DC751.jpeg
    B2CBACBE-F8FA-4380-996F-F6342B4DC751.jpeg
    617.2 KB · Views: 39
Unfortunately, the model you have only works with OEM Carplay equipment. You need the model CPC200-CCPA to get full wireless and wired capabilities with Tesla Android.
Thank you for the quick answer and confirmation I have the wrong dongle. It was free lol. Left over from my wife's 2018 Atlas that we traded a year ago for an EV.

1669507689236.png

Technically speaking.. it seems like wired or wireless CarPlay might work with the older CPC200-Autokit. The hardware requirements say the newer model is needed for wireless Android Auto. And the older model is cheaper at $38:

1669507808209.png

Do you think I should risk it to save $12? I'll be honest I'm probably never using an Android phone again.. as I love my iPhone. But with only a $12 difference between the two dongles.. I guess makes sens to pay the $50 for the *newer* model. Seems you also recommend the CPC200-CCPA for wireless CarPlay.. which is something I definitely want. I would trust someone like you.. who probably already has this solution working.. over instructions that may/may not be 100% accurate. Already ran into an issue with Windows 11 and the Raspberry Pi imager.. where I had to vary from the written instructions to get the Tesla Android image loaded onto the SD card for the RP4.

1669507905060.png

Looks like this thing only ships from China and takes about a month to get here using standard free shipping. Appears this is directly from their store in China, and they offer faster shipping with the quickest delivery around Dec 7th for an extra $33 in shipping fees. Meanwhile $6 extra shipping fees should get it delivered by the 10th.

I guess my final question is there are two versions available. One with built-in mic.. one without. Which version should I choose?

1669509440510.png

1669509420758.png

Thank you for the quick answer and confirmation I have the wrong dongle. It was free lol. Left over from my wife's 2018 Atlas that we traded a year ago for an EV.

View attachment 878603

Technically speaking.. it seems like wired or wireless CarPlay might work with the older CPC200-Autokit. The hardware requirements say the newer model is needed for wireless Android Auto. And the older model is cheaper at $38:

View attachment 878606

Do you think I should risk it to save $12? I'll be honest I'm probably never using an Android phone again.. as I love my iPhone. But with only a $12 difference between the two dongles.. I guess makes sens to pay the $50 for the *newer* model. Seems you also recommend the CPC200-CCPA for wireless CarPlay.. which is something I definitely want. I would trust someone like you.. who probably already has this solution working.. over instructions that may/may not be 100% accurate. Already ran into an issue with Windows 11 and the Raspberry Pi imager.. where I had to vary from the written instructions to get the Tesla Android image loaded onto the SD card for the RP4.

View attachment 878607

I can not speak about the CPC200-Autokit since I never had one. I have the CPC200-CCPA and I use it with my iPhone for wireless CarPlay. I never used my CPC200-CCPA for wired connections but other in this thread have said they did. Probably someone who has the CPC200-Autokit can speak about it.

Reactions: Daekwan