Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cars that you regret selling?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll start by saying that I average a new (or preowned) car every couple of years in the past decade. And there were cars that I owned which I totally regret selling afterwards.

1) 1989 CRX: this was a boyhood fantasy come true. JDM B16A + Mugen parts galore. The car had no power anything but was a huge blast to drive. Sold to the JDM shop that helped me put the B16A in.

2) 2000 S2000: I was a founding member of S2Ki.com and put together one of the first big S2000 gatherings in SoCal. I also made custom S2000 parts and sold them to hundreds of fellow owners. Sold to a forum member.

3) 2006 Cayman S: this car was bone stock, I did NOTHING to it because it came from the factory just about perfect. Sold to a forum member.

The common denominator for all 3 cars, aside from the fact they're great cars, was the online community that supported me and helped answer my questions. I can only say that those 3 cars were sold to people who genuinely loved that car so I felt they went to a good home. If I had the $ and garage space I would have kept all 3.

What were the cars that you regretted selling?

None really. All served their use by me and it was 'good riddance' to most. But I liked your post (literally too) and good on your for seeking out people who appreciated them when you could no longer keep them. I know I'd regret ever selling my 2008 Tahoe hybrid -- but fortunately I have the space to keep it and it does come in real handy in winter. It's just not worth the extra cost to trade in for a Model X but that sure would be better!

Reactions: Ciditad
My Hummer H2. I've owned Corvettes, 350Z, BMW Z3 & M3, Restored Triumph Spitfire, AC Cobra kit car and a few others that escape me at the moment. The weirdest thing is how much more attention the H2 received over the other vehicles. Especially the 'female persuasion'!? They loved that truck.. What the hell??
Anyway, that truck was unstoppable.

Reactions: bsf29 and BrokerDon
My Audi R8

xe4ydj.jpg

Was an awesome car, but my P100D is so much faster. Wish Audi had built the eTron version of the R8.

2006 VW GTI. 2.0t DSG. I owned that car until 2016 when we bought the X (totally different I know). It was just such a fun car to drive and it always worked (after an initial fix to an electronic component). It was the most expensive car I had bought then and until we picked up the X. The model 3 is really a good replacement for the GTI IMO.

Reactions: LMichel and Ciditad
2000 Nissan Maxima. That car was perfect, and flew (for a stock ICE). I sold it in ~2007 because I thought I had "arrived" at work and that it was time for a BMW 5 (2002 E39 is what I bought from a colleague who didn't own them past the 5yr warranty). So I gave up a perfect car for what turned out to be a typical out-of-warranty BMW money pit, all because of career ego. Painful. But a valuable lesson I suppose.

I had a Cayman S as well.

At the time I had a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, and a Cayman S so I was pretty well covered depending on what I wanted to do.

I had this brilliant idea of somehow combing them together so I turned in the Cayman S at the end of it's lease, and traded in the Jeep on a Range Rover Sport Supercharged.

I didn't really have any issue with that vehicle, but it seemed like a massive compromise. It was too "precious" inside to really carry anything without damaging the interior, and it didn't handle like a Cayman.

Then I had the brilliant idea of taking up flying so I traded in the Range Rover on a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, and this was after they switched to a better engine. That flying thing lasted for about 4 months until I accepted the fact that I kinda sucked at it. I'm not good at multitasking.

I still have that Wrangler and I'm having a hard time letting go of it. I think part of my soul is the soul of a Jeep owner.

Bringing it back to the Cayman I didn't really have anywhere to go car wise.

I endlessly debated about an R8, or a used Ferrari as my second car.

Then I was like screw this, and got the Tesla. I figured if I couldn't afford the best of the old then I'd get the best of the new.

Then that Trump thing happened so I got a 4x4 Camper Van to escape when everything goes to crap.

So I have one foot in Armageddon, and one foot in hope.

Last edited:
99 Acura Integra GS-R. First car I bought on my own

It overheated one time and started consuming oil. As it got worse and worse, the engine started crapping out around 140k. Sold for something like $2000. Should have just got it fixed. I knew it would be a classic one day, but I couldn't afford to fix a car and buy a new car at the time.