TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Carsales Extended Warranty: $4000+ Tesla Repair

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Vegas, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Vegas

Vegas Member

When my 2015 P90DL MS was coming to the end of its 4 year factory warranty I naturally wanted to extend the full factory warranty for as long as possible.

At the time there were 2 products available.

InsureMyTesla/Marsh Advantage

Extra 2 years (total 6 years) up to 120,000km: Total Premium: $3,445

Extra 4 years (total 8 years) up to 160,000km: Total Premium: $6,295

Carsales Warranty (previously Redbook Warranty)

Extra 3 years (total of 8 years) Unlimited klms: Total Premium $1240

(To qualify for Car Sales Warranty, my car had to be less than 5 years old, serviced annually and travelled less than 125,000 km).

My 2 priorities were: maximum kilometres covered under warranty - because I can’t stop driving the car and, of course, price.

Carsales Warranty (Redbook), was so cheap in comparison to InsureMyTesla, and it seemed to be even better coverage, considering the unlimited kilometres.

I went with Carsales Warranty even though, it seemed too good to be true - but it is not.

Earlier this month the Master Charger in my car (on-board charger) became faulty. I took it into Tesla Brisbane in the am, who quoted for $4044 to replace it with a new charger.

After a minor heart attack in the Tesla office, I contacted Carsales Warranty – who approved the repair within a couple of hours (after checking my car service history) Tesla completed the work by that afternoon. I was required to pay for the repair in advance and car sales warranty reimbursed me a couple of days later.

The $1240 premium I spent with Carsales is now a priceless piece of mind for me. Financially, I’m now actually ‘in front’ whereas, had I have gone with the InsureMyTesla policy ($6295) I’d still be behind.

I don’t work for have any association with Car Sales Warranty/Redbook - however if you are after extended warranty for your Tesla, I highly recommend them.

Thanks Ray Newman for putting me onto them

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 2
  2. PJF000

PJF000 Member

That's good to know how reliable & efficient Carsales warranty is.
    I have the same and so far have not needed to claim. It sounded too good when I purchased, but I could not find any adverse small print.

3. possum22

possum22 Member

How does this work when Tesla doesn't recommend serving let alone annual servicing and the items that failed don't get serviced anyhow, like on board battery chargers, door handles, MCU.

I got S 85 that's just out of warranty, still less 20k km(I put on 12k in 8 mths since I owned it), I wouldn't know if it been serviced prior to my ownership.

4. Vegas

Vegas Member

I suggest you contact Tesla they will tell you whether it has met servicing requirements. Interestingly, Tesla doesn't require annual servicing to maintain warranty, so if your car hasn't been serviced annually but has met Tesla's requirements it should still be covered.

5. Tension

Tension Member

From another thread:

• Informative x 1
  6. Mark E

Mark E Member

Very glad to hear that things were that simple - I have the same policy.

7. Nuclear Fusion

Nuclear Fusion Active Member

Thanks mate. This is going to save thousands on the 4 year extended warranty.
    I'm also saving about $1000 year on a more comprehensive insurance policy with AAMI, than the one offered by Marsh Advantage

8. raynewman

raynewman Active Member

I have now just round to buying this (bit slow) and note that, although my car is way outside warranty, there is no waiting time.

• Like x 1
  9. possum22

possum22 Member

Is this 5 years from when the car was made or 1st registed?

10. miimura

miimura Well-Known Member

@Vegas What are the Limitations of Liability on the Carsales Warranty?

I have an extended warranty from Toyota for my RAV4 EV that has a Tesla drivetrain. They have clearly specified the Limitations of Liability in the policy document. They limit payment on any single repair to the present value of the vehicle and the total aggregate payout to the value of the car when the policy was purchased. This "new car" policy must be purchased while the car is still covered by the factory Bumper to Bumper Warranty for 3 years and 36,000 miles from first purchase. Just wondering if yours has something similar.

11. PJF000

PJF000 Member

I have the same warranty for my Tesla. You need to go to the website and read the T's $ C's to ensure you qualify and it is suitable to your circumstances. If you are unsure after reading you can ring them and you may be able to get a specific determination on some points.

12. Vegas

Vegas Member

Yes, similar coditions - best to read these on the site though.

13. cynix

cynix Member

Carsales 3-year extended warranty has now doubled in price to $2430

14. raynewman

raynewman Active Member

It was $2430 back in May 2018 when it was Redbook; the other must have been an introductory special.

15. Dilz

Dilz Member

i had a quote for my P90D in April for $1240, now it has indeed doubled in price

16. DrHoon

DrHoon Member

Hey this is great. Thanks for posting. I’m about to take delivery of a just under 5yo and just under 125k km Model S. The $2400 is fine when you consider cost of other extended warranties.

17. Vegas

Vegas Member

I'd have gladly paid $2400, still well worth it. 125K klm on a Tesla is not much - different to ICE. Mine's done about that and it still drives like new. Did you get the yatch floor and sunroof?