Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Caught on TeslaCam kicking the front bumper on Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sentry mode turns the headlights on whenever someone passes in front of the car. He may have passed by it a few times or something and mimed beating up the car for giving him a hard time. It kinda looks like he didn't actually touch the car.

And that was my point above. If he actually did - the car’s damaged or whatnot - then he deserves an a($whooping. But I genuinely can’t tell from the video, and without more details, won’t break out my pitchforks and torches quite yet ....

Photos of the bumper/damage would do it for me.

• Funny
Reactions: C141medic
He definitely kicked it, but I agree with you need more proof. The damage is under the bumper, I noticed it when I installed my front plate holder Thursday night. The air inlets? are not flush with the bumper, as if they have been impacted. I said aloud, "I think someone kicked the car" I didn't think I would actually find proof. He grimaces as he makes impact with the car. Will post pics tomorrow, only damage is underneath, didn't see any superficial damage. Still frustrating.

I realized the bumper had been impacted when I was under the car installing the front license plate holder 2 days later. The damage is underneath, the air inlets? are not flush with the bumper anymore. It's just off and I said "I think someone kicked the front bumper" didn't expect to find a video.

Ah, that's extremely interesting.

So the car didn't flag the event up, you only found out when you did a close inspection.

That seems to be the weakest aspect of the Sentry Mode system. Dashcams with sentry mode usually have an accelerometer in them to detect when the car has been hit, even lightly. But since Sentry Mode doesn't have that, it's reliant on detecting impacts optically and clearly it doesn't work that well.

Maybe a supplemental device with accelerometer would be a nice addition to the car.

Well these are the type of people who deserve to be hit by the bus and I won’t even call 911.

You really think the death penalty is appropriate for petty vandalism? Sheesh. We're talking about cars, people! Yes, they're expensive, and we all like our shiny new Teslas, but please keep some perspective. The vast majority of people who can't afford a new Tesla would be appalled, and become more likely to emulate the young man who kicked a car, if they read the vindictive posts I see here about out-of-proportion responses to petty vandalism. Even if you're not serious (which I suspect you're not), this type of discussion is just contributing to broader social problems, since you're contributing to the "entitled snob"/"out-of-touch elite" stereotype.