Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have any news on CCS retrofit for old cars or is that abandoned?
If you are talking about this:

The thread has been shut down by the moderator, so no one can post news about it or modify the Wiki. No new thread has opened to replace it, probably fearing the same shutdown by the moderator.

If you are talking about this:

The thread has been shut down by the moderator, so no one can post news about it or modify the Wiki. No new thread has opened to replace it, probably fearing the same shutdown by the moderator.
Model 3 retrofit and early Model S are no where near similar. Switching out the the ecu and some wires isn't going to be a solution for the legacy Model S as nice and easy as that would be. I've done the DIY for my moms early Model 3 with no CCS support.

I successfully purchased a CCS adapter from Tesla SK. Friend in Korea ordered through my Tesla account using their Korean CC (VISA) & Address and it was delivered in 4 business days!

They shouldn’t have any issues taking it on a plane to the US?

Translation: The delivery of the order has begun.
DCF0B4C1-A2C6-4ABA-967F-CD37732F841D.jpeg

I successfully purchased a CCS adapter from Tesla SK. Friend in Korea ordered through my Tesla account using their Korean CC (VISA) & Address and it was delivered in 4 business days!

They shouldn’t have any issues taking it on a plane to the US?

Translation: The delivery of the order has begun.
View attachment 843122
Interesting. This suggests they just blacklisted harumio's addresses or credit cards, rather than detecting that the car for which the order is taking place is not Korean. If your friend wants to make some quick money, many people here would like his or her services.

Reactions: Genie
Interesting. This suggests they just blacklisted harumio's addresses or credit cards, rather than detecting that the car for which the order is taking place is not Korean. If your friend wants to make some quick money, many people here would like his or her services.

Seems like Tesla is either checking VINs, addresses and credit cards to limit the purchase to 1 per address or credit card. Just had my Soom Lab order fail.

its probably not too far fetched to consider that Tesla cracking down on this to further limit Salvage cars.
seems like those are the ones that mainly try to get CCS working since we got no other option.
anyone know if Tesla officially lets u have CCS charging for 2021+ cars that come with hardware n just need adapter?

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
its probably not too far fetched to consider that Tesla cracking down on this to further limit Salvage cars.
seems like those are the ones that mainly try to get CCS working since we got no other option.
anyone know if Tesla officially lets u have CCS charging for 2021+ cars that come with hardware n just need adapter?
Yes- they let you have CCS charging
No- they don’t let you have a CCS adapter

I'm skeptical of this hypothesis. First, there have been multiple threads here about people buying CCS1 adapters, and even retrofitting older cars to make them work, and although salvage cars have been mentioned a few times in such threads, my impression is that the vast majority of posters have non-salvage Teslas; they just want to be able to charge at a wider variety of locations for one reason or another. If my impression is correct, then it seems likely that Tesla just doesn't want to sell their CCS1 adapter in North America for some other reason, like inadequate production to meet expected demand or a desire to have a working retrofit option for older cars ready before making the adapter available.

Second, there are already multiple third-party CCS1 adapters available. Anybody who wants a CCS1 adapter and who has CCS compatibility on their Tesla can buy one of these today to have something that works. To date, the main options for this do lack the safety lock, but at least one Chinese clone of Tesla's adapter that includes the lock is now or will soon be available for sale. Thus, Tesla not selling its own adapter won't do much to prevent salvage vehicles (or any other Tesla) from charging on CCS1.

AFAIK, Tesla has not locked out salvage cars from CCS charging, and in fact there's a YouTube video from somebody who did the retrofit to get a salvage Model 3 to work with Tesla's CCS1 adapter. That said, if Tesla did want to prevent such cars from CCS charging, I expect they'd be able to do so, assuming they have a list of salvage VINs. The ways that come to mind to lock out salvage vehicles from CCS charging are all a bit awkward, but if Tesla really wanted to do so, they could, and in a much more targeted and effective way than simply not selling their CCS1 adapter in North America.

I'm skeptical of this hypothesis. First, there have been multiple threads here about people buying CCS1 adapters, and even retrofitting older cars to make them work, and although salvage cars have been mentioned a few times in such threads, my impression is that the vast majority of posters have non-salvage Teslas; they just want to be able to charge at a wider variety of locations for one reason or another. If my impression is correct, then it seems likely that Tesla just doesn't want to sell their CCS1 adapter in North America for some other reason, like inadequate production to meet expected demand or a desire to have a working retrofit option for older cars ready before making the adapter available.

Second, there are already multiple third-party CCS1 adapters available. Anybody who wants a CCS1 adapter and who has CCS compatibility on their Tesla can buy one of these today to have something that works. To date, the main options for this do lack the safety lock, but at least one Chinese clone of Tesla's adapter that includes the lock is now or will soon be available for sale. Thus, Tesla not selling its own adapter won't do much to prevent salvage vehicles (or any other Tesla) from charging on CCS1.

AFAIK, Tesla has not locked out salvage cars from CCS charging, and in fact there's a YouTube video from somebody who did the retrofit to get a salvage Model 3 to work with Tesla's CCS1 adapter. That said, if Tesla did want to prevent such cars from CCS charging, I expect they'd be able to do so, assuming they have a list of salvage VINs. The ways that come to mind to lock out salvage vehicles from CCS charging are all a bit awkward, but if Tesla really wanted to do so, they could, and in a much more targeted and effective way than simply not selling their CCS1 adapter in North America.
i thought CCS wasn't officially supported, at least for legacy?..

And Tesla DID lock out DC fast charging, at least for legacy S/X, plenty of post about it in this tread:

• Informative
Reactions: israndy
I didn't read it either, but I do remember Rich Rebuilds saying that his salvage Tesla was prevented from all DC charging when the decision came down to change salvaged cars, so his wife can only charge at home, but she did get a nice Tesla out of the deal. Before that the car had been super and chademo charging just fine

i thought CCS wasn't officially supported, at least for legacy?..

And Tesla DID lock out DC fast charging, at least for legacy S/X, plenty of post about it in this tread:
They lock out superchargers. It has been disputed however if they lock out all DC charging because plenty of examples of people charging with CHAdeMO just fine on salvage. I asked in that thread before for explicit examples of CHAdeMO being locked out, but I don't think people presented evidence, only a policy on a old service bulletin (note Tesla's public policy on website does not mention all DC charging locked out, only supercharging).

If you have explicit evidence, feel free to post.

Regardless however, I doubt salvage plays much of a role in this, they are a relatively small population vs general buyers that might be interested, plus as mentioned above, Tesla doesn't seem to block CCS on salvage.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: israndy and tps5352
They lock out superchargers. It has been disputed however if they lock out all DC charging because plenty of examples of people charging with CHAdeMO just fine on salvage. I asked in that thread before for explicit examples of CHAdeMO being locked out, but I don't think people presented evidence, only a policy on a old service bulletin (note Tesla's public policy on website does not mention all DC charging locked out, only supercharging).

If you have explicit evidence, feel free to post.

Regardless however, I doubt salvage plays much of a role in this, they are a relatively small population vs general buyers that might be interested, plus as mentioned above, Tesla doesn't seem to block CCS on salvage.
im sure someone more knowledgeable can chime in but the way i understand is Chademo uses some protocol translation n thats why it still works even if SC/DC is disabled. Also its a dying standard n expensive adapter so barely anyone uses it.
I can't find it rn but there were posts with Teslas SC policy n it does mention DC charging for salvage
According to this thread, u need gateway config to enable CCS n Tesla won't do it since its not officially supported in US (this is of course for S/X)
As far as i know all salvage ppl just pay other smart ppl that can enable CCS for us :)

They lock out superchargers. It has been disputed however if they lock out all DC charging because plenty of examples of people charging with CHAdeMO just fine on salvage
From what I have seen they lock out all DC charging on legacy Model S&X vehicles. The Model 3&Y only get Supercharging locked out. I haven't seen any details on what happens with a refreshed Model S or Model X.