Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've seen a lot of threads about salvage vehicles here over the years, and you can pretty much flip a coin as to whether the example in any particular thread has other DC charging blocked or not. I've seen plenty of both. It's all over the place, and there doesn't seem to be any consistency to it.

Possibly Tesla changed their DC policy after they changed their Supercharging policy, it sounds from what people say that initially ALL DC charging was prohibited on salvage cars, but at some point they decided to only stop Supercharging.

Or as someone suggested above it's a Model S/X vs Model 3/Y difference.

Just need to find the pattern that fits

Possibly Tesla changed their DC policy after they changed their Supercharging policy, it sounds from what people say that initially ALL DC charging was prohibited on salvage cars, but at some point they decided to only stop Supercharging.

Or as someone suggested above it's a Model S/X vs Model 3/Y difference.
There is also a rumor that by the end of the year there will be a process that a salvage Model 3/Y can go through to get allowed to use the Supercharger network again. But that the Model S/X would specifically be excluded from said process. We will have to see if that happens or not.

i'm curious about the same thing. i just ordered the ECU and bundle of wires, but i still need to find an adapter.

if not, is it even worth doing the ECU swap at this point? is there another adapter available that's viable?

My understanding is that all of the Tesla and aftermarket CCS1 adapters, except the original SETEC/Lectron adapter, will require that the car be CCS-enabled. Is that correct? I think so. (But the SETEC adapter is big, expensive, frequently blocked by Tesla software updates, requires a battery and SETEC firmware updates, and only charges to 50 kW.)

Don't give up. Genuine Tesla CCS1 adapters are still available on the open market. You just have to search. (I just purchased one in the SF Bay area yesterday.) They are also on eBay, but prices there are very high.

My understanding is that all of the Tesla and aftermarket CCS1 adapters, except the original SETEC/Lectron adapter, will require that the car be CCS-enabled. Is that correct? I think so. (But the SETEC adapter is big, expensive, frequently blocked by Tesla software updates, requires a battery and SETEC firmware updates, and only charges to 50 kW.)

Don't give up. Genuine Tesla CCS1 adapters are still available on the open market. You just have to search. (I just purchased one in the SF Bay area yesterday.) They are also on eBay, but prices there are very high.

so definitely still do the ECU swap though on my '18 model 3 and just keep an eye out for the adapter as i go? I was hoping to have it ready for a road trip in late September, but I'll still be on a supercharger friendly route so it's not absolutely necessary...would just like to have it with how slammed the superchargers can get here in CA.

If you already own the bundle and then ECU your choices as I see it are go ahead and install or sell them. If you try to sell them and cannot make a profit (ECUs are still hard to get) I would just install them. It only takes an afternoon. Tesla might make a retrofit kit that could be deemed more compatible but it doesn't impact your Supercharging and the only situations a Tesla kit might be better is at temperature extremes.

Reactions: crackers8199
If you already own the bundle and then ECU your choices as I see it are go ahead and install or sell them. If you try to sell them and cannot make a profit (ECUs are still hard to get) I would just install them. It only takes an afternoon. Tesla might make a retrofit kit that could be deemed more compatible but it doesn't impact your Supercharging and the only situations a Tesla kit might be better is at temperature extremes.

is there anything I need to watch out for once the kit is installed, specifically concerning those temperature extremes you just mentioned? I'm thinking about ordering one of the a2z adapters so I have it on hand for the road trip I mentioned in September...they seem to be the most readily available.

what is the "open market" if you don't mean eBay? Are they showing up on CL/FB and the like? I am also in the Bay Area.

i'm curious about the same thing. i just ordered the ECU and bundle of wires, but i still need to find an adapter.

if not, is it even worth doing the ECU swap at this point? is there another adapter available that's viable?
See the first post of this thread for a summary of known CCS1 adapters. In brief, it seems that there are at least three manufacturers of passive adapters: Tesla's own (which is actually made by a company called Pegatron), a close Chinese clone of that, and a conceptually similar but not identical product designed by A2Z and also sold under other names. (Different sellers provide slightly different specs for this A2Z-like product, so it's conceivable that it's been cloned, too. Likewise, there may be multiple close Chinese clones of Tesla's adapter.) A Ukrainian company also once sold a product that was similar (but not identical) to the A2Z adapter, but they've stopped selling their adapter because of the war. I'd be surprised if there weren't more such products in the future.

There's also the Setec adapter, which includes active electronics to mimic Tesla's CHAdeMO adapter. This means that it does not need the ECU upgrade on older Teslas, but it's also limited to 50kW speeds, and Tesla and Setec have been in a bit of an arms race, where Tesla locks out the Setec adapter until Setec works around the lock-out via its own firmware update. This seems to have de-escalated to Tesla causing the car to display a warning rather than completely disable the adapter. At the moment, I couldn't recommend buying the Setec adapter except in certain exotic circumstances (like if you have an older Model S or X for which no official or unofficial ECU upgrade is available, or if you really want to avoid an unofficial ECU upgrade but desperately need CCS compatibility).

what is the "open market" if you don't mean eBay? Are they showing up on CL/FB and the like? I am also in the Bay Area.

Yes they are. I don't know about FaceBook. But I've seen them on Reddit and Craig's List. Takes work and patience to search. You have to be prepared to negotiate and move quickly to secure. Plus now it is fairly easy to search all of North America using CL.

Finally reached 200kw+ on my model Y. When I saw these new Delta 350kw EVgochargers popped up next to the closest Safeway to my home, I knew I have to give it a try. These are special because they can reach up to 540A, exceeding the CCS standard of 500A. Someone in NC reached 205kw with them on the model Y. I got there with 21% with preconditioning in half way. I got 194kw right off the bat, and finally peaked at 202kw at 27%. Maybe I can get better result starting at even lower SOC next time.

Another interesting fact is this station charges at $0.35/min, I never saw DCFC charges by time here in CA, and it ended up much cheaper than home charging ($0.246/kwh)

Attachments

• 49336614-3C48-4FDE-8B0D-7C574CE1CC5C.jpeg
    49336614-3C48-4FDE-8B0D-7C574CE1CC5C.jpeg
    717 KB · Views: 85
Wild guess:

Safeway South San Francisco #3116​

2255 Gellert Blvd, South San Francisco, San Mateo, CA, USA

It lists two 350kW chargers.
That’s some accurate wild guess! Update on this charge session: I used chargepoint app to charge, because I have some credits there. I charged 7 minutes for 18.7kwh, according to the price in the app, I should pay 2.45, but I got charged 12.39! I immediately took a screenshot in chargepoint app to keep the evidence. The next day when I called their customer service, the price on the app has changed to the normal EVgo time of use price. Good thing I took a screenshot! At that time, EVgo app still showed the station was 0.35/min.

Today I checked the EVgo app again, it seems the station has changed to time of use price completely, no more cheap charging there :(

I now suspect EVgo’s pricing management is super sloppy. And Chargepoint does not sync with them well. They used to have a few pedestals labeled as free in Chargepoint app. I charged there for a few months and then suddenly I got charged (again) by chargepoint. I got my money back since I had the screenshot, and a few days later the pricing was changed to time of use. Not a reliable combination. Maybe EVgo sometimes shows ridiculously price by mistake, but internally still charges with time of use.

Attachments

• 87F2DB65-1450-40DE-AE76-0891FDA19A2F.png
    87F2DB65-1450-40DE-AE76-0891FDA19A2F.png
    245.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 7C661968-F97F-40C1-A6D3-29C42E054D5B.jpeg
    7C661968-F97F-40C1-A6D3-29C42E054D5B.jpeg
    324.6 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Well, you got me all excited.

I was at the recent EVgopening in Oakland, seemed nice, although a few women described the location as kinda rapey, now the whole site is shuttered, outta service. Not sure how that company makes any money. Will try again with the new location in San Leandro, the tech was there yesterday doing final testing on the site. He didn't know anything about what was happening in Oakland, but thought the SL site would be open Friday. Hope they get the pricing wrong so I can take advantage, I'll take screen shots

Well, you got me all excited.

I was at the recent EVgopening in Oakland, seemed nice, although a few women described the location as kinda rapey, now the whole site is shuttered, outta service. Not sure how that company makes any money. Will try again with the new location in San Leandro, the tech was there yesterday doing final testing on the site. He didn't know anything about what was happening in Oakland, but thought the SL site would be open Friday. Hope they get the pricing wrong so I can take advantage, I'll take screen shots

Truly feel sad for the non-Tesla EV drivers when they were supported by the likes of EA and EVgo. Here is my trip experience with EA. I wanted to do an EA only trip especially given some were located better than Tesla SC but of course there was a screw up by EA.