Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's interesting (in a bad way?) is that the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter seems to be disappearing everywhere (at multiple Tesla international sites), not just in North America. Why? One notable example is Japan, where CHAdeMO is kind of the DC charging standard, correct? I'm told that (new) owners can still ask for an adapter from a Tesla Sales/Service Center, but the adapter is not advertised on the Shop/Charging web pages.

One exception is Europe where CHAdeMO adapters are still for sale. (But it only works for Models S and X and has Type 2 Menekes plug). But the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter is now super cheap there (£99). Is Tesla dumping its existing stock to get rid of it?

Some random speculations: new CCS1 adapter coming (in North America), new combined "GB/T"/"CHAdeMO" connectors coming (in Japan and China), CCS2 is obvious standard in Europe/Oceania.
The European CHAdeMO adapter has the European Type-2 Tesla plug on the vehicle side. Therefore, it's only applicable to S & X that has that charge port. It doesn't work with 3 & Y. They probably have some supply of those made and sitting in a warehouse. The other version that is applicable to North America and Japan has the TSL02 plug. Those are in relatively continuous low level demand and I speculate that Tesla stopped making them, exhausting the inventory. I expect them to resume making it when an upgraded 200A version is ready for manufacturing.

I don't expect Tesla to make any new adapters for China because all the new cars have native Chinese charge ports.

Oh, cool, another active thread about CCS :)

OK, a couple things worthy of note:
- no, that EV-hub adapter isn't 3D printed - it's clearly machined. Big difference between additive manufacturing (3D printing) and, well, subtractive (machining). It's not molded, but big whoop - it started life as a solid block of material, and it was trimmed down from there.
- Being 3D printed or machined or molded or anything else, has NO impact on its ability to carry current. The statements about "I wouldn't trust a 3D printed device to carry 400 amps" makes no sense. The metal isn't 3D printed. The metal would have to be machined. Good luck 3D-printing any metal (spare me the SLS links - they're not common enough to be considered for this).
- Would I trust a machined DIY part to carry 400 amps? Sure. Maybe even better than Tesla's ... at first. My concern is that it wouldn't hold up over time, as corrosion sets in. Mass-produced parts have many layers and steps of post-processing (plating, tinning, and other processes) done to them. Machined parts don't.
- I'm not seeing much confirmation here from anyone saying they have a compatible charge port ECU. Y'all sure you've got PLC capability enabled? It's now shown in the "Additional Vehicle Info" after the holiday update.

My thread, trying to take on and fully document the DIY approach for others to enable CCS compatibility on their cars, is here: Retrofit CCS compatibility onto earlier (NA) Model 3 - DIY approach -- and thanks to @cdswm3 for wandering into my thread, pooping a "dislike" on the ground, and walking off, for pissing me off so much I dug in and found this thread (also another dislike victim). :)

I'd really hope that the car would stop charging before the wires got to 190-F.
I too would hope. I just have a few doubts as the charger will only be able to sense one side of the adapter.

Time for someone up upload a stl file to Thingiverse - Digital Designs for Physical Objects and start selling the inserts on e-bay.. I would be willing to print one to give it a test. (I will still order the official Tesla one as soon as it hits the US website).

Doesn't it seem likely that Japan will abandon CHAdeMO at this point? I think they are the lone holdout and it doesn't seem to make sense to keep it with the market being so immature at the moment anyway. Now's a good time to change. I could be wrong, though if there are more EVs over there than I think.

But Japan has been working with China on a joint GB/T-CHAdeMO charging connector standard. May be close to release?

• Informative
Reactions: jsight
But Japan has been working with China on a joint GB/T-CHAdeMO charging connector standard. May be close to release?
Still not going to be physically compatible, it would require an adapter. They are trying to make the protocols compatible (similar to CCS2 vs CCS1).
CHAdeMO 3.0 released: the first publication of ChaoJi, the new plug harmonised with China’s GB/T

Would make release cars for both China and Japan markets easier, but I doubt there would be much practical use for most EV buyers (similar to how not many people care about CCS1 vs CCS2 cross compatibility, given people that move cars across the two markets is such a niche).

Last edited:
I am sorry to say that your August 2021 Model Y (without CCS compatibility) appears to fit an emerging visual pattern (previously reported at TMC and other sources)--i.e., that Tesla (temporarily) produced cars (Y and 3) without CCS compatibility from about July to October 2021, ostensibly due to an alleged chip shortage (the chip being necessary for a small printed circuit board governing charging). If the data provided in this Thread is accurate, it appears that cars produced/delivered in November and December once again came with the previously missing chip/circuit board and hence again had CCS compatibility.
I find the psychology of this interesting. For those of us without this chip/board in our charge controller, there are two types of us. The first, like me, bought our cars a few years ago. The others bought in mid-2021 during the chip shortage. Neither of us knew anything about a CCS controller chip or expected one in our car, nobody was disappointed until we got the update and learned that some people have them and some don't.

But I bet the 2021 buyers feel much more "cheated" than the 2019 buyers, even though neither had any awareness. We 2019 buyers never had a chance, but 2021 buyers feel like they lost a lottery they didn't know they were playing. You can't really go to Tesla and say, "replace my board, I thought I was buying the new board." You might have said, "I thought I was getting the lastest everything" though of course 2021 buyers also famously got cars with no radar when they thought they were getting one.

It will get interesting when we learn Tesla's policy on upgrading these old cars. Will they upgrade 2021 buyers differently than 2019 ones? Will one be free and the other cost money? I can't expect them all to be free. I hope that the price is reasonable. I had the CHAdeMO adapter and it was quite handy, but when people started paying >$1K on eBay for them I sold it, knowing CCS was coming (but not knowing my car would need an upgrade.) I paid $400 for the CDM, and if the upgrade and adapter are available for that it will be OK. At $200 for just the adapter it will be a no-brainer. Many people don't realize this adapter is actually quite useful even if you never use it. That may not make much sense to you until you get the adapter, but it's true. The adapter removes range anxiety in many situations. You no longer worry if you will make the supercharger if you know there's DC Fast along the route as a backup -- even if you never use the DC Fast.

Many people don't realize this adapter is actually quite useful even if you never use it. That may not make much sense to you until you get the adapter, but it's true. The adapter removes range anxiety in many situations. You no longer worry if you will make the supercharger if you know there's DC Fast along the route as a backup -- even if you never use the DC Fast.

This last part was a big part of why I had the CHAdeMO. The Supercharger network is great, but there are many routes where a single failed site could leave you stranded. I know its rare, but I also know that its happened to at least two of the sites near me and also nearly happened at one that I used during a trip. Thankfully that last one was actually only reported down, but was still working in a only slightly limited state.

Having even the mediocre and often overpriced CCS/CHAdeMO stations that are around here as a backup is great for peace of mind.

I just drove all the way from IL to CA using CCS exclusively. It was 1) cheaper (i have the $4/mo plan for EA) and 2) faster (again mostly V2 on this route). It made me feel much better about my March-April Rivian R1T delivery. I'll share a longer form post of my experience doing the return trip when time allows, but once again optimistic about the future for EVs, in general.

One thing I especially like about CCS is that there are often slower options sprinkled around that can really help you in a bind. I used a random Chargepoint in Grand Junction, CO because the supercharger and EA station are both on the south edge of town, but this 50kw CCS was right along I-70. I actually saved time using it, because I only needed a small boost (due to me backtracking to grab something left behind at a stop, doh!).

Tesla's fast charging moat is not as deep or wide as folks tend to believe, anymore. I am happy for this, and it is beneficial to all EV owners.

(and if I hear one more person on twitter talk about the amazingness of the compact Tesla charge port, I'll scream and point to the Model 3 in Europe, which is just plainly more convenient with CCS2. I don't care what my charge port looks like.)

IMG_4719.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4736.jpg
    IMG_4736.jpg
    775.1 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_4739.jpg
    IMG_4739.jpg
    837.5 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_4763.jpg
    IMG_4763.jpg
    501 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_4726.jpg
    IMG_4726.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 69
(and if I hear one more person on twitter talk about the amazingness of the compact Tesla charge port, I'll scream and point to the Model 3 in Europe, which is just plainly more convenient with CCS2. I don't care what my charge port looks like.)
I don't think it's just the look, the complaint is that it's also more cumbersome to use, especially the CCS1 latch (which sometimes breaks). But I haven't used it personally, so can't comment, but that's what I hear. Of course if you are at a location and it's your only option, then this hardly matters.

This last part was a big part of why I had the CHAdeMO. The Supercharger network is great, but there are many routes where a single failed site could leave you stranded. I know its rare, but I also know that its happened to at least two of the sites near me and also nearly happened at one that I used during a trip. Thankfully that last one was actually only reported down, but was still working in a only slightly limited state.

Having even the mediocre and often overpriced CCS/CHAdeMO stations that are around here as a backup is great for peace of mind.
Yup. Now I will add that the adapters also have value on many road trips, particularly in Canada. (I did a trip all over BC using my CdM adapter and it would not have been remotely possible with superchargers, though in the last few months they did add some new ones up there.) But on top of peace of mine, there is also flexibility. Have you ever not taken an interesting side trip because, not being in your plan, you didn't have the charge? If there's a DC Fast 30 miles sooner than your target supercharger, that's like having 30 miles more range and the ability to take that side trip without fear. So I already miss my CdM and hope I can get the CCS adapter and replacement charging controller soon. The Setec does not look like a workable option. Prices for CdMs have spiked up again, which I find perplexing. Yes, they are the only game in town right now (especially for cars with no CCS chip) but their price should crash once the CCS adapters come out, even if there is not as yet a charge controller upgrade. And it could happen any day, indeed I am not quite sure what stands in the way as no chips are involved in the plain adapter.