Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That doesn't sound inconsistent to me. They said they don't have it for you. "At this time" doesn't rule out the possibility that they shipped some cars with it in the past and might again in the future. They just aren't stocking it now.

Tesla doesn't support CCS1 in North America. They never have. They could. They have the part design. But that's not what they sell.
I understand that the CCS charging adapter isn’t available in the NA market at this time. It’s been addressed by Tesla that it will be coming soon. I’m merely trying to ensure my car is capable of using it like many other cars built before mine currently are capable of.

I understand that the CCS charging adapter isn’t available in the NA market at this time. It’s been addressed by Tesla that it will be coming soon. I’m merely trying to ensure my car is capable of using it like many other cars built before mine currently are capable of.
No point in doing anything now when there is no official adapter yet for NA and there are no details yet on what a retrofit may cost. They may do it for cheap when you buy an adapter (as was the case in Europe) or maybe even offer it as a free retrofit for later cars when parts become available, if you buy the adapter.

I don't see the point of spending money now to try to swap the part out without those details. If on the other hand, you are banking on them just swapping for free, I say that chance is slim to none. At this point, with the data compiled so far, it's fairly obvious this was not a one-off mistake, but rather a deliberate factory decision, likely due to a parts shortage.

No point in doing anything now when there is no official adapter yet for NA and there are no details yet on what a retrofit may cost. They may do it for cheap when you buy an adapter (as was the case in Europe) or maybe even offer it as a free retrofit for later cars when parts become available, if you buy the adapter.

I don't see the point of spending money now to try to swap the part out without those details. If on the other hand, you are banking on them just swapping for free, I say that chance is slim to none. At this point, with the data compiled so far, it's fairly obvious this was not a one-off mistake, but rather a deliberate factory decision, likely due to a parts shortage.
Understood. I hope they offer it for free with purchase of adapter. Seems strange that they wouldn’t deliver cars with consistent capabilities.

My goal was to address it ahead of the crowd.
Thanks for your input

Understood. I hope they offer it for free with purchase of adapter. Seems strange that they wouldn’t deliver cars with consistent capabilities.

My goal was to address it ahead of the crowd.
Thanks for your input
Things are wild now due to parts shortages. You have cars that were delivered without front USB ports and wireless charging (which may have been a blessing given the later change), then shortly after cars that had the USB ports, but they became charge-only (no data).

Reactions: SpaceShipDrvr
Where’s this data from?

Um, the data were provided by various participants in this Thread. Early on people started commenting on whether their cars did or did not have CCS compatibility, Post #635 (wisely) asked about building a spreadsheet to make sense of the data. I volunteered (always a mistake). See Post #661, which was my first chart version, I think.

I am sorry to say that your August 2021 Model Y (without CCS compatibility) appears to fit an emerging visual pattern (previously reported at TMC and other sources)--i.e., that Tesla (temporarily) produced cars (Y and 3) without CCS compatibility from about July to October 2021, ostensibly due to an alleged chip shortage (the chip being necessary for a small printed circuit board governing charging). If the data provided in this Thread is accurate, it appears that cars produced/delivered in November and December once again came with the previously missing chip/circuit board and hence again had CCS compatibility.

I sympathize and hope you are able to get this annoyance rectified (eventually). However, be aware that it is possible that many other Model Y and 3 owners apparently received cars without CCS compatibility during the same delivery period. You were probably not being singled out. I'm sure Tesla wanted to get new cars into the hands of waiting owners as quickly as possible. So Tesla motives may have been (at least mostly) pure.

But the response from Tesla is,...interesting. While technically accurate (as far it goes), it seems somewhat disingenuous. Yes there is no Tesla North American CCS charging standard at present. So yes, Tesla is not strictly denying you and the other drivers anything right now by delivering North American cars without CCS compatibility during those four months or so. However as we know, a future anticipated charging feature is reportedly coming--i.e., the ability to use the alleged Tesla CCS1 adapter, if it ever comes.

Tesla is/was obviously planning for such a feature. (Why else would it add CCS compatibility and advertise it so obviously in the Additional vehicle information pop-up that was updated in the new holiday firmware?) It seems plain (from the preliminary data) that Models 3 and Y started to have CCS charging capability as early as 2020. Why was this feature lost? I imagine Tesla was not directly to blame. But when will the CCS1 adapter actually come to North America? As usual, we have no knowledge of when, which makes planning so difficult. It makes a difference because if the CCS1 adapter is significantly delayed, it has an impact to any argument you make about securing CCS compatibility for your car now. IMO Tesla should come clean and promise to update the missing parts as soon as stock numbers are built back up again.

I see at least three alternatives for you (and others like you):
  1. Do nothing. You are being denied nothing at the moment, so wait and see. (Things could change; adapter necessity or availability could change.)
  2. Assume that if a CCS1 adapter does come (say in 2022),
    (a) it will be usable by Models 3 and Y (as is true in South Korea),
    (b) there will be a relatively simple retrofit (to the correct circuit board), as was true in Europe for Models S and X,
    (c) Tesla offers this retrofit free to 2021 Models Y and 3 (How likely is that?), or
    (d) there will be a package deal--retrofit + adapter--at a bargain price (as eventually became true for Models S and X in Europe).
  3. Try now, ahead of arrival of any future adapter, to convince Tesla that your car came missing hardware that others (before and after) received. (But was there anything, anywhere that promised such a feature in your car? If not, your argument could be on shaky ground. Auto manufacturer literature fine print always says that car details and features can change at any point, correct? One could argue that new car delivery recipients in June were just extra fortunate; folks in July not quite so much. I can see both sides of the issue.)
Alternatives 1 & 2 are, respectively, easiest and arguably most likely. But I can understand the desire to implement the more challenging and difficult Alternative 3. As usual, there is strength in numbers.

Last edited:
(But was there anything, anywhere that promised such a feature in your car? If not, your argument could be on shaky ground.
It's one thing to have an "incremental" mid-year upgrade to parts of a car - but to ship cars with the CCS-enabled chips for a year and then start shipping cars without it later is where the line gets blurred. It wasn't promised - but it was clearly on their internal roadmap or they wouldn't have shipped the cars with the CCS-enabled chips. I get there's supply constraints, but this is something the consumer should be aware of at delivery time - Audi let me know when they had to use a different stitching on the steering wheel when I took my S5 for example.

It's pretty significant to say some cars are randomly capable of CCS and some are not with no way to know as a consumer accepting delivery of a vehicle in the same 2021 model year when some models back in 2020 are CCS enabled. This could impact resale value of these non-CCS vehicles, lead to more customer confusion, and potentially strand people who don't know how to check the additional information screen that assume their car is CCS capable. We will see how Tesla addresses this during the CCS rollout I guess :)

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: tps5352
But you're talking of letting customers know of something that isn't even yet a feature, nor does it influence any of the delivered features of the car. I understand what you're feeling, but I don't think your ask makes sense.
EDIT: for completeness, I also do not have CCS support and would love to get it.
The thing is Tesla knows CCS is going to roll out or they wouldn't ship with the CCS-enabled chips. Yes the end customer does not but that's because until recently you could not even tell there was a difference. At the end of the day I was delivered a car that is less capable than others without any ability to know at the time of purchase.

The thing is Tesla knows CCS is going to roll out or they wouldn't ship with the CCS-enabled chips. Yes the end customer does not but that's because until recently you could not even tell there was a difference. At the end of the day I was delivered a car that is less capable than others without any ability to know at the time of purchase.
The point is though, that NONE of these people should expect it to have that, since they DID NOT officially have that feature when they bought the cars. That should be the default. You are getting this backward, saying that all of these people SHOULD expect to have it and those that don't should feel cheated. That's not how it is.

The point is though, that NONE of these people should expect it to have that, since they DID NOT officially have that feature when they bought the cars. That should be the default. You are getting this backward, saying that all of these people SHOULD expect to have it and those that don't should feel cheated. That's not how it is.
I agree. The @TeslaCharging twitter account informally announced this on October 18th. According to the chart posted up-thread, this is roughly coincident with when they resumed installing the CCS enabled charge port ECU. Nobody who took delivery or even ordered their car before that should have any basis for complaint that their car is not CCS enabled.

But they promised no such feature. There could be any number of things in the pipeline that some cars have that they might hope to enable in the future, but they have not promised it.

I certainly want CCS support ASAP, but Tesla does not OWE me CCS support as it was never a promised feature.

Frankly, at this point I'm wondering why there's not an ebay market for imports from South Korea, and/or cheap knock-offs of the existing design already...

Interesting. (For the record, I am apparently not directly affected by this issue.)

As I stated, I can see valid arguments on both sides, but with perhaps more weight given to the “sorry about that, but so it goes” argument that Tesla may choose to adopt.*

But if the 2021 Models 3 and Y can be retrofitted to achieve CCS compatibility, then Tesla would be doing itself a huge public relations favor by getting out in front of this and (a) COMMUNICATING in a timely fashion with all owners affected and (b) offering a meaningful and financially-reasonable remedy by the time any CCS option is slated to appear. A good compromise might be a genuine and generous discount on the retrofit.
_____
* I unknowingly lost out on thousands of dollars in various desirable features, benefits, and rebates due to the ordering date I selected for my Model X. In hindsight,… But that is just the way it unfolded. Tough luck for me. So I can empathize. (But I still love my car.)

Dumb question: is the CCS adapter (for vehicles with the electronics) simply a passive plug adapter or is it an electronic converter?
Passive adapter

If it's passive, it would be easy to knock-off.

Passive adapter

Thanks. It would be interesting to come up with a DIY plug adapter that could be 3D printed. Then again, not sure how much I would trust it for my $$$ car...

Thanks. It would be interesting to come up with a DIY plug adapter that could be 3D printed. Then again, not sure how much I would trust it for my $$$ car...
I believe it is active. There are some YouTube videos (Canadian guy) testing the CCS to Tesla adapter and states that it has a battery in it and shows that it has a USB port on it. The active adapter would handle handshaking between the CCS charger and the car.

It was a prototype and did not work (yet)

• Disagree
Reactions: cwerdna and kayak1
I believe it is active. There are some YouTube videos (Canadian guy) testing the CCS to Tesla adapter and states that it has a battery in it and shows that it has a USB port on it. The active adapter would handle handshaking between the CCS charger and the car.

It was a prototype and did not work (yet)

That would be the third-party SETEC adapter, not the Tesla one.