Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe it is active. There are some YouTube videos (Canadian guy) testing the CCS to Tesla adapter and states that it has a battery in it and shows that it has a USB port on it. The active adapter would handle handshaking between the CCS charger and the car.

It was a prototype and did not work (yet)

No, you are talking about something else. THAT adapter you are talking about and showing pictures of is an entirely different product from Setec. There is a 78 page thread about THAT adapter here:

Yes, it's active and has a battery. It's converting and emulating CHAdeMO, so it will work on all cars. But it's very finicky and has gone through a lot of firmware update versions.

And no, it's not just a prototype, and yes, it has been sold quite a bit and people are using it. But because of emulating CHAdeMO, it's limited to about 45-50 kW.

This thread here is about a simple passive pass-through adapter for CCS1, which is original OEM product from Tesla. They have started selling it in South Korea but have not brought it to the U.S. yet.

In current form this adapter does not work.

• Disagree
Reactions: jsight
No, you are talking about something else. THAT adapter you are talking about and showing pictures of is an entirely different product from Setec. There is a 78 page thread about THAT adapter here:

Yes, it's active and has a battery. It's converting and emulating CHAdeMO, so it will work on all cars. But it's very finicky and has gone through a lot of firmware update versions.

And no, it's not just a prototype, and yes, it has been sold quite a bit and people are using it. But because of emulating CHAdeMO, it's limited to about 45-50 kW.

This thread here is about a simple passive pass-through adapter for CCS1, which is original OEM product from Tesla. They have started selling it in South Korea but have not brought it to the U.S. yet.
Roger that ! I appreciate the clarification and stand updated on the topic 👍🏼

Reactions: Rocky_H
Already on order, actually, but someone else said they got it in this thread, and it didn't work.

There are a ton of variables and nuances in this topic. Statements like this need to be qualified by which make, model, build date, software version, chargeport ECU version, etc etc etc.
You should order it and try it so we have more variables to list next to “doesn’t work”.

Meanwhile the vendor is asking me to test a revised version because they know it doesn’t work.

At the risk of sticking my nose in where it doesn't belong (But isn't that what we mostly do on TMC Forums? ;)), I would urge caution investing in third-party adapters at this time. As pointed out by numerous TMC and non-TMC sources, in lieu of an official Tesla-brand North American CCS1 adapter, there have so far been three theoretical sources of CCS1-to-TPC (Tesla Proprietary Connector) devices:
  1. Tesla CCS1 adapter sold exclusively in South Korea (South Korea Tesla CCS1 Adapter)
  2. SETAC CCS1 adapter (e.g., Setec CCS1 Adapter)
  3. EV Hub-sold CCS1 adapter (US CCS1/CCS2 Adapters)
  • My understanding is that Number 1 (a) must be imported or bought first-hand and shipped to North America (if possible), (b) is currently only intended to work with Models 3 & Y sold in South Korea, and (c) has appeared to have been mostly sold out for some time. I believe that it has also been found not to work or possibly require modification to work with some North American charging stations and cars? Since the release of 2021 holiday firmware, that now identifies CCS-compatible Tesla model-years, the story may have changed for some lucky North American Tesla owners. Nonetheless, even if they will work (not guaranteed) South Korean CCS adapters are probably still difficult to come by.

• There has been much written on TMC about device Number 2 (e.g., Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter). From what I gather, it is (a) particularly expensive, (b) large and ungainly, and (c) has a mixed track-record of success in part due to an apparent "arms race" between Tesla car and SETEC adapter firmware updates. Whether this is due to Tesla actively attempting to block use of this device for (eventual) competitive profit (due to planned release of its own North American CCS adapter) or solely for safety reasons may still be open to debate.

• Number 3 appears, to me, to be (partly) 3-D printed, is still not cheap (at $525), and (like its CCS2 Europe-only version counterpart) is at best meant only for recent or retrofit Models S & X. So far it appears not to have been as reliably tested and reported on as the SETEC device.
So while each alternative has the theoretical advantage of maybe getting electricity from North American CCS charging equipment into a Tesla, they unfortunately suffer from a variety of disadvantages and inadequacies that hopefully an eventual Tesla product will not exhibit. Can Tesla drivers afford to wait?

Depending on location, some owners truly need and benefit from increased access to (CCS) third-party DC fast-charge stations. It is understandable that they would be willing to investigate a third-party device. (For the rest, a North American CCS adapter will be a convenience only--a way to perhaps increase peace-of-mind.) CHAdeMO stations have been somewhat helpful, but the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter has gone away. Regardless, I hope for the quick and affordable release of a bona fide Tesla CCS1 North American adapter. The sooner the better.

Last edited:
  • My understanding is that Number 1 (a) must be imported or bought first-hand and shipped to North America (if possible), (b) is currently only intended to work with Models 3 & Y sold in South Korea, and (c) has appeared to have been mostly sold out for some time. I believe that it has also been found not to work or possibly require modification to work with some North American charging stations and cars?
I've not seen that. It seems to work fine, as long as your car claims to have CCS compatibility (about car). I don't understand the FUD here.
  • Nonetheless, even if they will work (not guaranteed)
Someone already imported one and tested it on a car w/ compatibility. Someone else also BUILT a passive adapter from a Setec, and that's worked fine repeatedly. The evidence is pretty clear that passive adapters will work (modulo something about the pin to hold it in place)
  • Number 3 appears, to me, to be (partly) 3-D printed, is still not cheap (at $525), and (like its CCS2 Europe-only version counterpart) is at best meant only for recent or retrofit Models S & X. So far it appears not to have been as reliably tested and reported on as the SETEC device.
Since #3 and the official tesla adapter are both passive, they both require CCS support. #3 currently doesn't correctly implement the "please don't let someone yank out the plug while 400V+200A are flowing", because that would require either a somewhat complex mechanical setup (what Tesla does for the South-Korean adapter) or something not fully passive. It sounds like @rhuber is currently talking to them to get it to at least electrically pretend to work?
Can Tesla drivers afford to wait?
A full speed CCS adapter would save me ~10 minutes on a specific route I take somewhat often, and allow me to use better located chargers. In my area, the superchargers are frequently located next to hotels that have minimal amenities for a road trip... so yes, capability has material value to me. Pretty obviously so if I'm willing to drop $500 on a (then) untested adapter from a site in Ukraine that's hard to order from.

5YJYGAEE1MF243XXX

I put a service request in to have it addressed. Not sure if they will do anything about it. I'll reply with any updates i get.
I have made few searches
Here is my findings see screens

So Jul 2021 - late Sept manuf. dates do have 80-B blocks
VIN range apx ~220xxx-280xxx
rest seems fine

Should be easy to upgrade cuz tesla in EPC says to replace with 00-B

@tps5352 FYI​

Already on order, actually, but someone else said they got it in this thread, and it didn't work.
You can think, whatever you like, but over 700 CCS2 adapters are made, sold, and working fine.
CCS1 is just a "port" modification which does make it work with the CCS1 plug instead of CCS2.
CCS1 and CCS2 are PLC, and the difference is only adapter modification.

Number 3 appears, to me, to be (partly) 3-D printed, is still not cheap (at $525), and (like its CCS2 Europe-only version counterpart) is at best meant only for recent or retrofit Models S & X. So far it appears not to have been as reliably tested and reported on as the SETEC device.
Its not a 3D printed.
3D printed plastic sadly cant handle 600A properly.

Since #3 and the official tesla adapter are both passive, they both require CCS support. #3 currently doesn't correctly implement the "please don't let someone yank out the plug while 400V+200A are flowing", because that would require either a somewhat complex mechanical setup (what Tesla does for the South-Korean adapter) or something not fully passive. It sounds like @rhuber is currently talking to them to get it to at least electrically pretend to work?
read correctly 400V 400A(600A peaks)
It's no difference on port inlet's capabilities to accept such power rate and in-car wiring.

Attachments

• 80b Jul-late Sept.png
    80b Jul-late Sept.png
    242.6 KB · Views: 96
  • MY sept 30 2021.png
    MY sept 30 2021.png
    215.1 KB · Views: 64
  • vin214xxx - Jun-20-2021.png
    vin214xxx - Jun-20-2021.png
    252.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 80B vs 00B Jul lateSep 2021.png
    80B vs 00B Jul lateSep 2021.png
    62.5 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
I have made few searches

rest seems fine

@tps5352 FYI​

You can think, whatever you like, but over 700 CCS2 adapters are made, sold, and working fine.
CCS1 is just a "port" modification which does make it work with the CCS1 plug instead of CCS2.

Its not a 3D printed.

It's no difference on port inlet's capabilities to accept such power rate and in-car wiring.
Alex, you should disclose that evhub is your site when posting.

I have no issue with you selling an adapter. It seems to be machined with a high density polymer that is robust. My issue is that it IMMEDIATELY threw an error when plugged into my car, and I tried 8 stations at two locations.

Once modified to remove the internal resistor, it has worked at every station I’ve tried. I am not telling people to avoid it for any reason except I think they’ll be disappointed.

I have made few searches

rest seems fine

@tps5352 FYI​

Its not a 3D printed.

How does one lookup by VIN in the EPC site?

Tesla CHAdeMO adapter has gone away

Gone from the Tesla store yes, but it still works for people that have it, or can rent, or can buy used.

I offer this adapter for $10 a day to anyone able to pick it up locally in Albuquerque, NM. But be forewarned: A large security deposit is required so that the adapter does not 'walk'.

What's interesting (in a bad way?) is that the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter seems to be disappearing everywhere (at multiple Tesla international sites), not just in North America. Why? One notable example is Japan, where CHAdeMO is kind of the DC charging standard, correct? I'm told that (new) owners can still ask for an adapter from a Tesla Sales/Service Center, but the adapter is not advertised on the Shop/Charging web pages.

One exception is Europe where CHAdeMO adapters are still for sale. (But it only works for Models S and X and has Type 2 Menekes plug). But the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter is now super cheap there (£99). Is Tesla dumping its existing stock to get rid of it?

Some random speculations: new CCS1 adapter coming (in North America), new combined "GB/T"/"CHAdeMO" connectors coming (in Japan and China), CCS2 is obvious standard in Europe/Oceania.

What's interesting (in a bad way?) is that the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter seems to be disappearing everywhere (at multiple Tesla international sites), not just in North America. Why? One notable example is Japan, where CHAdeMO is kind of the DC charging standard, correct? I'm told that (new) owners can still ask for an adapter from a Tesla Sales/Service Center, but the adapter is not advertised on the Shop/Charging web pages.

One exception is Europe where CHAdeMO adapters are still for sale. (But it only works for Models S and X and has Type 2 Menekes plug). But the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter is now super cheap there (£99). Is Tesla dumping its existing stock to get rid of it?

Some random speculations: new CCS1 adapter coming (in North America), new combined "GB/T"/"CHAdeMO" connectors coming (in Japan and China), CCS2 is obvious standard in Europe/Oceania.

Doesn't it seem likely that Japan will abandon CHAdeMO at this point? I think they are the lone holdout and it doesn't seem to make sense to keep it with the market being so immature at the moment anyway. Now's a good time to change. I could be wrong, though if there are more EVs over there than I think.