Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do we know how much this enhancement is going to cost from Tesla for older vehicles? You’d think not much…maybe $150? Mostly labor.
Mostly labor? I think the charge port ECU is about $200. (Though you can buy them on eBay for ~$100.) Then figure a half hour of labor. And add $250 for the adapter. My guess is that they will charge about $500 for the adapter and ECU retrofit.

Mostly labor? I think the charge port ECU is about $200. (Though you can buy them on eBay for ~$100.) Then figure a half hour of labor. And add $250 for the adapter. My guess is that they will charge about $500 for the adapter and ECU retrofit.
Personally, I would pay $400 for the kit. I would guess $150 for the adapter and $250 for the installed ECU. All speculation on my part.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Mostly labor?
Yeah. That is more than I expected for a simple part but still in the ballpark. But yeah, I guess it depends on how much cost they roll into the adapter.

For the ones on eBay - do they have to be paired with the car (I’ve not done any significant work on my car yet, but my understanding is some parts have to be “assigned” to the vehicle), or do they just drop in?

Seems like it is likely a very easy task notwithstanding issues like that. Probably still not worth it if it’s “only” $200, but curious.

For the ones on eBay - do they have to be paired with the car (I’ve not done any significant work on my car yet, but my understanding is some parts have to be “assigned” to the vehicle), or do they just drop in?
The charge port ECU has to be on the same firmware as the rest of the car. But, people have said that as long as you swap it in right before you install an update it will work.

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
With newer firmware updates showing support (if the car has the support), I wonder if the official Tesla adapter now will work on those cars. I know there was one person here who said they tried to use an adapter shipped to them from Korea but it didn't work, but I think at that time the car didn't have a v40 firmware even though it was a newer car. There was also those 3rd part adapter from europe that required a parts swap to work, but I wonder if that will also work as well with the update.

Reactions: israndy and jsight
We now have confirmation that the CCS Type 1 adapter from South Korea works with firmware 2021.40.6 in North America, assuming your car has the correct charge port ECU. Speeds up to 110kW. (Though it should be able to go even higher under the correct circumstances.)

Depends on when the car was built. For example the 2021 refresh Model S says that support is enabled. As well as most 2021+ Model 3/Y. (And some 2020 Model 3s.)
According to our tests
more or less all cars with GEN4 unit (M3/MY) AND MS/MX basically made from 2020 does work with CCS from a box, with the latest 40.6.

The question is only palladium(plaid/LR) 2021 MS, that have all necessary, but failed to charge 2 months ago. It is likely that changed with the latest update, but have no chance to test it.

At this point, do we actually know what vehicles will be supported from the get go (i.e., without modification) for the Tesla CCS Adapter in North America, or is this just speculation? The way it is now being discussed in this thread is as if we know.

Yes, you can find out in the car screen.

2021.40.x updates of Tesla firmware add an additional line for "CCS Adapter Support" in the "Additional Information" in the Settings, Software menu. If your car shows "Enabled" you are good to go. If it shows "Not Installed", you don't have the hardware and will need an upgrade.
If you don't have this line then you need to wait for your car to get new firmware then look at this line.

From a part earlier in this thread:
CCS Adapter for North America

Vehicles showing it as "Enabled" started working with the adapter at 2021.40.6

At this point, do we actually know what vehicles will be supported from the get go (i.e., without modification) for the Tesla CCS Adapter in North America, or is this just speculation? The way it is now being discussed in this thread is as if we know.
As mentioned, you an find it for your specific car if you have the new firmware, and people have been posting their results so that there's some idea of which groups of cars have/will have the capability one they have that firmware and if they can get ahold of the Korean adapter, but Tesla's not really interested in saying formally "this group will work day one, this group will need additional firmware, this group will need an upgrade which will cost X". They haven't even specifically said it works in the US, it's just that people noticed it with the new firmware and recently somebody who managed to get the South Korean first-party adaptor in North America on a car that says "CCS enabled" was able to charge successfully with it.

yeah... I'm a bit bummed that once they release the adapter... pre 2020 (?) Model 3s (which are a large amount) will need a retrofit before being able to charge CCS. hopefully the Mobile Ranger can do the retrofit (?) and it won't cost an arm and a leg.

TBH though... i have yet to see a routing which would be doable with CCS but not doable with the Supercharger network here in the US.

yeah... I'm a bit bummed that once they release the adapter... pre 2020 (?) Model 3s (which are a large amount) will need a retrofit before being able to charge CCS. hopefully the Mobile Ranger can do the retrofit (?) and it won't cost an arm and a leg.

TBH though... i have yet to see a routing which would be doable with CCS but not doable with the Supercharger network here in the US.
There is a big difference between "doable" and "convenient". Sometimes there is a convenient CCS station where you are already stopping but you would have to go out of your way to a Supercharger.