Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of the potential problems illustrated here is that a CCS to Tesla adapter is not the only issue to be addressed. There is a problem with the lack of reliability and standardization of CCS itself, at least in its current form in North America.
It's bound to happen when you have multiple vendors and manufacturers (both chargers/EVSEs and cars). Even though there are standards, there are gray areas and tolerances. For example, you would think something relatively simple like AC J1772 wouldn't have such problems, but there have been problems reported also.

Working together: avoiding EVSE-to-vehicle interoperability issues - Charged EVs

There are also issues reported with CCS even without the adapters.
Fixing Chevy Bolt EV and Spark EV Charging Systems | Torque News

In most cases it becomes a blame game, where the charger manufacturer blames the car manufacturer and vise versa, although the article above suggests it's the charger network/manufacturer which usually gets most of the blame from the consumer.

although the article above suggests it's the charger network/manufacturer which usually gets most of the blame from the consumer.
Not that surprising. The car owner's experience is that their car can successfully charge on some networks/hardware but routinely has trouble at another. Since the car hasn't changed, it's easy to see why they might infer that the problem must be with the new element.

Also, credit card readers? Isn't that a solved problem?
Don't know but I've still seen reports on Bolt FB groups and Plugshare of people having trouble having trouble w/EA's credit card readers. My response to them is "duh. Why are you using them?" I usually try to point them to the interview.

In the past month or two, I have dropped by an EA site nearby and seen that two of the units were showing network errors on their CC readers.

I think Tesla should be OK with the rather ' simple looking' adapter that was shown on the various sites, or just flood the area with 5,000 Superchargers /year.

HomePlug.org website is non-responsive so I can't see the spec which they say that hey have posted on the web somewhere.
Qualcomm possibly among others is supposed to have a chip (set) that will handle the protocol but not being in the industry I am not allowed to see any kind of documentation.
It appears as if the standards could have been moved to the IEEE or the IEC.
A testing organization may have been started I haven't found out as yet.
The 5 major European Automakers supposedly have set up a governing body to set up a 350KW system. Tesla was not on the list that I saw.

I think that there was a joke made earlier in this thread (or maybe it was in another related thread) to the effect that 'the great thing about standards is that there are so many of them' - and practical illustrations of that principle as it applies in various technologies. That might be true, but efforts can be made to improve standardization, or at least interoperability. Such efforts in the electric vehicle charging domain are going to be very important in allowing the transition to electric vehicles happen. The issue is not as big for Teslas, given that Tesla Supercharging largely 'just works'. But lack of standardization for all the other vehicle and charging combinations out there could be a huge drawback. If people pull up to a charging station with a low charge, they need the charger to reliably work, and work well. If it frequently does not, word of mouth is going to get out there that electric vehicles are not a practical alternative. That could hold back the electric vehicle project for many years.

That said, I was surprised when I pressed the trigger on the SAE Combo handle attached to my Bolt (2nd video of Tesla needs to move to CCS in North America) that I was actually able to (as opposed to being mechanically blocked). The DC FCing stopped and the Bolt's charging lock released. I'd never done that before and figured it'd be mechanically blocked.

On other vehicles (non-GM) which lock the J1772 handle to the car when AC charging (e.g. some e-Golfs, HyunKias, BMW i3, BMW 3 and 5-series PHEVs, Volvo PHEVs, and a few others), there isn't usually enough upwards allowed tang movement to trigger the proximity switch in the J1772 handle, let alone the ability to disconnect. Those cars mechanically block the tang via a pin that extends or other mechanism.

I can't speak to the behavior of those cars on DC FCs, where applicable. We don't have DC FCs at my work, only (tons of) L2 EVSEs + Tesla wall connectors + some NEMA 5-20 plugs under another building.
To add to an differing data point about the behavior I described in the 1st paragraph:
I used two different ChargePoint CPE250 DC FCs on my Bolt the other night and tried pressing on the button on the SAE Combo handle to stop the charge. It didn't work. It felt like it was mechanically being blocked (not sure if it was in the handle or by my car's plug lock, blocking the tang). In one case, I pressed hard enough to the point where I could hear the microswitch in the handle. It didn't stop the charge.

This above is what I would've always expected when charging via SAE Combo.

The behavior I observed on the BTC Fat Boy chargers (in the video) I referenced was unexpected to me.

Yesterday I made up a prototype "dumb" CCS adapter and tested it with a 2020 Model 3 at a CCS charger. It didn't work, because the car failed to detect connection to the charger. So it sounds like probably the North American vehicles are lacking either the hardware or the software for CCS charging at this time.

Saw a post from someone else advertising an adapter seems to claim that the hardware/software to do CCS charging may already be present in later builds since you last tested. Note the manufacturing dates and such. You did mention testing with a Model 3 2020 so I dunno.

Is it possible for you to take a second look at your dumb adapter and see if something may work with a later build Model S/X (or maybe 3/Y?)

Saw a post from someone else advertising an adapter seems to claim that the hardware/software to do CCS charging may already be present in later builds since you last tested. Note the manufacturing dates and such. You did mention testing with a Model 3 2020 so I dunno.

OK, who's going to be the first one to try this bad boy?

Personally I wouldn’t use any adapter unless it’s supplied by Tesla. Not worth the risk of damage. But that’s me.
I agree…

I do work for a few Nissan dealers and one had 2 with fried inverters because of a faulty Chademo station. No warranty coverage.

Spoke to a friend who is at tesla and the software checks everything before allowing charging…it is more complex then Nissan.

I have actually developed with CCS. The electromechanical interlock is most definitely required. Show me a production car anywhere that doesn't have such a device on it's DCFC connector. Once the vehicle detects that current has stopped flowing it will release the interlock. Depending on the charger, pressing the release button will request an immediate charge stop. (change in proximity state)

Again, this isn't needed for standard AC charging.
Hi Ingineer,

I'm new to the site, but it looks like to me that you are the one I somehow need to get in touch with you. Is there a way you can start a DM thread with me?

Thank you in advance!

Personally I wouldn’t use any adapter unless it’s supplied by Tesla. Not worth the risk of damage. But that’s me.
100%. Not going to pump 50kw+ into my $50k car using a third party and non authorized charging adapter some website sells... if it fries something in your car and Tesla looks into your charging history.., the repairs can be $$

E036426C-D0CB-4298-B8EE-B9F9BE4D052C.jpeg
Not sure if this is need to anyone, when I was looking around after the most recent update I noticed this line under additional vehicle information that there is a line for CCS adaptor support.

View attachment 737700Not sure if this is need to anyone, when I was looking around after the most recent update I noticed this line under additional vehicle information that there is a line for CCS adaptor support.
Would be interesting to see if someone in the US could see this. My 2018 Model 3 Performance does not have this line. There is talk (seems mostly true but I guess remains unconfirmed - have not been paying close attention though) about these older vehicles not having the charge port support and that may be true. Would be nice to see a recent US vehicle as well.

Would be interesting to see if someone in the US could see this. My 2018 Model 3 Performance does not have this line. There is talk (seems mostly true but I guess remains unconfirmed - have not been paying close attention though) about these older vehicles not having the charge port support and that may be true. Would be nice to see a recent US vehicle as well.
You have to have firmware 2021.40, or newer, to see the CCS adapter support line. And yes, people in the US have seen it. For example the 2021 refresh Model S says "Enabled". We have reports of 2020 Model 3s that say "Enabled", and some that say "Not installed". So the break for the compatible charge port ECU is sometime between 10/2019, I think that is when they started making 2020s, and the end of 2020.

Multiple teardowns have shown that our model year doesn't have the PLC chip required to communicate with CCS. At the least, it looks like the charge controller board would need to be retrofitted, but it's an easily accessible component so that should take almost no time at all.

You have to have firmware 2021.40, or newer, to see the CCS adapter support line. And yes, people in the US have seen it. For example the 2021 refresh Model S says "Enabled". We have reports of 2020 Model 3s that say "Enabled", and some that say "Not installed". So the break for the compatible charge port ECU is sometime between 10/2019, I think that is when they started making 2020s, and the end of 2020.
Just got 40.6 today and mine shows the CCS Support "Enabled"

Both of our 2021 Model 3 LR AWD's installed firmware 2021.40.6 last night. They both show CCS adapter support enabled. I got mine late Dec 2020 and my wife's in February 2021. Now we just need the adapter to become available.

20211130_083915a.jpg
20211130_091451a.jpg

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life