Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No... That post is about the EVHub 3rd party adapter. The post above covers the Tesla/Korean adapter used here.
The EVHub adapter is like the Korean Tesla adapter in that they are just pass-through devices (The first EVHub adapter had an extra resister that had to be removed, the later ones are fine). They each depend on the car to do the CCS communications. Some of us were lucky and have a board near our charger port that has the CCS support.

The issue with the EVHub version is that it lacks the lock preventing the connection from being pulled apart when it's live. The Tesla version has the pin that locks the charging port to the car.

In any case multiple reports of the Tesla/Korean CCS1 port exist. What is required is for your car to display CCS enabled.

I am looking forward to ordering my adapter from Tesla (even Tesla Korea if they ever have it in stock).

Their proposed fix is to replace the resister there with a different one. Should I just yank it instead? (if it ever arrives)
No, this won't fix it. The fix they tried was changing the resistor value, but that does not seem to have worked on my car (plaid gen4 ecu). The only "fix" that seems to work is adding another pin in the location where they don't have one on the CCS side. I have circled the location of the needed pin on this photo from the website. I took my adapter apart and used a drill press to make a small hole, added a pin and wired it up. That is why I called my mod *very invasive* and do not recommend others try it. It results in a working adapter, but there are plenty of ways it could blow up in your face, so I highly recommend folks not mod these.

Edit: I only have my plaid to test with, so it is possible the changes they made work on 3/Y, but I rather doubt it. If anyone in Santa Monica wants to meet me at the EVGo downtown, we could easily test. :)

Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 3.17.29 PM.png

Last edited:
I think these threads have whipped up enough interest in CCS that they will sell out pronto when finally on the NA store. Me included.
The lack of availability in the NA store is the most frustrating part for me. I also own the Setec adapter, but I'm tired of the < 50kW speeds and endless firmware games that you have to play with it.

Being able to hit 150kW+ speeds using a first-party adapter is a game changer IMO - especially given how many empty EA CCS stations I see when driving around.

Got a chance to test it out on a friend’s ccs enabled model y. Peaked at 176kW. View attachment 757764View attachment 757765
This must be getting close to 500A, way more than the 300 that the CCS1 tesla adapter claims to be rated for, though I’ve heard something about continuous vs peak ratings that could explain it. This is great news, EA would become a v2.5 SuC in the vast swaths of v3 deserts that exist along interstates.

This must be getting close to 500A, way more than the 300 that the CCS1 tesla adapter claims to be rated for, though I’ve heard something about continuous vs peak ratings that could explain it. This is great news, EA would become a v2.5 SuC in the vast swaths of v3 deserts that exist along interstates.
Yes, 500A, same as on my Plaid. I've detailed the cross country drive a few places and it was much nicer than the supercharger experience on both I-40 and I-80.

Would this eliminate the need for a separate J1772 adapter? Maybe, just maybe, Tesla will manufacture a gazillion of these so they include them with new cars and also have enough to stay in stock in the store?
I'd hope they would take care of their customers like that, but I wouldn't count on it, which is part of why I'm interested to see how the third-party ones work out with modifications like @rhuber's been helping with. The benefits Tesla CCS access offers of making a single unified fast charger type available to basically all drivers going forward is really great, and I wish Tesla wasn't slow rolling it and was providing more information about upgrades and when the adapters might go on sale in North America. The day they do, they almost double the number of station locations with >70 kW charging and increase the number of plugs available at that power level by something like 25-30% overnight, but they seem to be in no hurry while they keep raising supercharger fees.

I'd hope they would take care of their customers like that, but I wouldn't count on it, which is part of why I'm interested to see how the third-party ones work out with modifications like @rhuber's been helping with. The benefits Tesla CCS access offers of making a single unified fast charger type available to basically all drivers going forward is really great, and I wish Tesla wasn't slow rolling it and was providing more information about upgrades and when the adapters might go on sale in North America. The day they do, they almost double the number of station locations with >70 kW charging and increase the number of plugs available at that power level by something like 25-30% overnight, but they seem to be in no hurry while they keep raising supercharger fees.
I honestly wonder if the holdup is now due to them shipping cars recently without the necessary CCS ECU. They may need to build up a supply of these and ensure they have enough coverage to install them when people start requesting them. TBH, it also probably isn't a big ask from most customers, aside from those of us who would hang out in a forum to chat about charging EVs, which probably makes it a low priority for them.

Well the issue is that there is no communication channel for users to request this type of thing. You can't ask for something that doesn't exist in a service request. Therefore, Tesla cannot know that we need this.

I know Tesla don't want to invest in heavy marketing departments and the likes, but going through Elon on Twitter has been around for too long and doesn't work great. Let me suggest this: Tesla could hire a single "community manager" like the gaming industry do. This person could peruse the forums and be in contact with the major clubs around the world. That would be a great way to funnel some information to Tesla. That person could then synthetize the information and make it flow to the proper people/teams within Tesla. Probably won't happen but I'm saying it anyway.

Reactions: FalconFour
Well the issue is that there is no communication channel for users to request this type of thing. You can't ask for something that doesn't exist in a service request. Therefore, Tesla cannot know that we need this.

I know Tesla don't want to invest in heavy marketing departments and the likes, but going through Elon on Twitter has been around for too long and doesn't work great. Let me suggest this: Tesla could hire a single "community manager" like the gaming industry do. This person could peruse the forums and be in contact with the major clubs around the world. That would be a great way to funnel some information to Tesla. That person could then synthetize the information and make it flow to the proper people/teams within Tesla. Probably won't happen but I'm saying it anyway.
#unpopularopinions here but I've had such a bad experience with Tesla, especially lately, that I'm not sure they care about anything except shoving cars out the door and continuing to push their FSD fairytales.

I honestly wonder if the holdup is now due to them shipping cars recently without the necessary CCS ECU. They may need to build up a supply of these and ensure they have enough coverage to install them when people start requesting them. TBH, it also probably isn't a big ask from most customers, aside from those of us who would hang out in a forum to chat about charging EVs, which probably makes it a low priority for them.
I had the same thought when people started reporting new cars not having the CCS ECU. If Tesla does not have enough stock of both the ECUs and the adapters, then releasing it on the NA store is simply shooting themselves in the foot. At the moment it's a very small minority of owners that really need a CCS adapter. There is no urgency for most people. Most people don't even know such a thing exists. However, as soon as it hits the stores, people are going to start being aware, the people that don't have the ECU will start requesting retrofits, and if they don't have parts readily available, then things start hitting the fan.

• Helpful
Reactions: tps5352

If you have been following Tesla and been on TMC long enough, Tesla had this early on (just off my memory Darryl Siry used to participate here, Jerome Guillen used to respond directly to user emails). The reality is there is too much workload for that person and users are not consistent in what they request (many times requests conflict). The interactive element of it and the person (being a human) also leads to that person sometimes divulging some inside or preliminary information. And when the final specs change, there is outrage from the community because they feel cheated or lied to. Also there is a lot of pressure on that person when he/she may not be the ultimate decision maker even if he/she tries to advocate for the community (this is a different case for Elon however, as obviously he can order something to happen). When the community is sufficiently small and tight-knit, this kind of method may work, but as the Tesla owner community gets more diverse and large, it's not a sustainable way to get feedback.

That said, Tesla really does still lack a systematic way to get feedback (at least one that makes people feel like their feedback might be heard).

I had the same thought when people started reporting new cars not having the CCS ECU. If Tesla does not have enough stock of both the ECUs and the adapters, then releasing it on the NA store is simply shooting themselves in the foot. At the moment it's a very small minority of owners that really need a CCS adapter. There is no urgency for most people. Most people don't even know such a thing exists. However, as soon as it hits the stores, people are going to start being aware, the people that don't have the ECU will start requesting retrofits, and if they don't have parts readily available, then things start hitting the fan.
I suppose, but if that's the case, why push out the firmware that supports it and notes in the car configuration if it's enabled? They'd apparently been shipping cars in North America with CCS ECUs since 2020, without showing this in the firmware, so why pick a time to start showing it when they weren't going to be ready any time soon to answer about upgrading cars without it and when the adapter would go on sale?

I mean, part of the answer is probably "supply chain" and some is probably "Tesla is very bad at customer relations" neither of which is exactly late breaking news, but it's still annoying.