Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you email Harumio and ask why they cancelled your order?

Yeah. I was just reading back through and they sent me a confirmation email originally saying that there might be duty / taxes extra at my end due to being in Canada which I saw. That is pretty much standard procedure these days. I didn't realize they were actually asking me to give an okay at the end of the message so I guess they were waiting for a response from me. I thought everything was sorted. At least its only $30 wasted I guess.

Yeah. I was just reading back through and they sent me a confirmation email originally saying that there might be duty / taxes extra at my end due to being in Canada which I saw. That is pretty much standard procedure these days. I didn't realize they were actually asking me to give an okay at the end of the message so I guess they were waiting for a response from me. I thought everything was sorted. At least its only $30 wasted I guess.
Oh well, you can always go on eBay and play it that way. You will be paying more that $30. They sell for about $400 on there USD. You could also wait for Tesla to officially release this in the US sometime next week or 5 years from now. Are you a betting person? I guess it really depends on how bad you want this and how much the $30 means to you.

If you are looking for sympathy from here, you may be surprised. There are many glowing reviews for Harumio in this thread and some of us had to jump there way more hoops that a standard order today from Harumio.

Reactions: Genie
Oh well, you can always go on eBay and play it that way. You will be paying more that $30. They sell for about $400 on there USD. You could also wait for Tesla to officially release this in the US sometime next week or 5 years from now. Are you a betting person? I guess it really depends on how bad you want this and how much the $30 means to you.

If you are looking for sympathy from here, you may be surprised. There are many glowing reviews for Harumio in this thread and some of us had to jump there way more hoops that a standard order today from Harumio.

Yeah I have already put another order in through Harumio after talking with them. I'm not even sure how long I'll keep the car but I know the adapter would have saved me almost 6 hrs at a level 2 charger for enough juice to make it back to a supercharger(and the rest of a night sleeping in a Walmart parking lot) so its probably worth it even If I only do another couple of road trips with the car.

Reactions: SageBrush
Anyone try to use the new Rivian Adventure Network DCFCs that opened this week in CO and CA? I hear they only works for Rivians but I don't know how they would enforce that. Not saying it's not possible...

I think the CCS unit sees a vehicle or manufacturer ID when plugging in. I'm sure its possible to spoof, but without doing that, I'm not sure that it'd work with anything but a Rivian.

I think the CCS unit sees a vehicle or manufacturer ID when plugging in. I'm sure its possible to spoof, but without doing that, I'm not sure that it'd work with anything but a Rivian.
I imagine it would use a Plug & Charge like system that automatically ties the vehicle plugging into to a specific Rivian account that can be billed, essentially similar to what happens when you plug a Tesla into a Supercharger. There is quite a bit of security built into the Plug & Charge protocol...sure, never say impossible to spoof, but probably extremely difficult.

Reactions: mociaf9 and jsight
I imagine it would use a Plug & Charge like system that automatically ties the vehicle plugging into to a specific Rivian account that can be billed, essentially similar to what happens when you plug a Tesla into a Supercharger. There is quite a bit of security built into the Plug & Charge protocol...sure, never say impossible to spoof, but probably extremely difficult.
Plug & Charge is based on public key digital signatures (same sort of thing used for secure https websites) so it should be very difficult to spoof. I think Rivian claims to support Plug & Charge but I’m not sure if it’s been implemented by them yet and I have no idea if their DC charger network implements it yet.

Reactions: RTPEV
Plug & Charge is based on public key digital signatures (same sort of thing used for secure https websites) so it should be very difficult to spoof. I think Rivian claims to support Plug & Charge but I’m not sure if it’s been implemented by them yet and I have no idea if their DC charger network implements it yet.

We don't even know if the RAN uses CCS, or if they use a completely proprietary signaling method. (I do wonder if it is CCS, and since it is currently in "free vend" mode if non-Rivians could use it.)

The only person I "know" in Colorado with a Tesla that could test it is @MorrisonHiker and he is about 2 hours from Salida. (And I don't know if they have a CCS adapter or not.)

We don't even know if the RAN uses CCS, or if they use a completely proprietary signaling method. (I do wonder if it is CCS, and since it is currently in "free vend" mode if non-Rivians could use it.)
Why would they bother to use something other than CCS? Seems counterintuitive. If anything, I could imagine them doing proprietary extensions to CCS if they detect talking to their own vehicles but I’m not sure why they would need to do that now.

Reactions: RTPEV
Yes, they use CCS. There are plenty of videos on YouTube showing this.
Yes, they use a CCS connector, but what video shows that they are using the CCS communications protocol on their RAN chargers?

Also, the RAN chargers have only been available, in one location, for about 24 hours so there aren't many videos showing anything at all...

Last edited:
Reactions: mociaf9 and RTPEV
Supposedly the plug and charge that gm uses with evgo is different from the standard one and is more like the vin identification method. It might not be as complex or secure.

I've been assuming that the rivian implementation might be something similar for simplicity sake.

Obviously only guessing on my part though.

Supposedly the plug and charge that gm uses with evgo is different from the standard one and is more like the vin identification method. It might not be as complex or secure.
What GM is doing with EVgo is Autocharge, not Plug & Charge.

You set up an EVgo account and save your vehicle's MAC address to your EVgo account and that's it.

Next time, EVgo would recognize your vehicle's MAC address and bill your EVgo account.

Why would they bother to use something other than CCS? Seems counterintuitive. If anything, I could imagine them doing proprietary extensions to CCS if they detect talking to their own vehicles but I’m not sure why they would need to do that now.
Tesla does this in Europe, so they can take shortcuts in the handshake, as well as exceed the 500A limitation, from what I heard.