Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've recommended folks at PSA: On CCS1/SAE Combo DC chargers, best to stop the... stop via one of many methods FIRST before trying to stop by pushing the button the CCS1 handle.

FWIW Electrify America: U.S. EV public charging network | Electrify America says:
"How do I stop the charging session?
To end the charging session, just press the “Stop” button at the bottom right of the charger screen.
You can also stop a charging session through the Electrify America app. Select “Stop Charging” on the Current Session screen.
  • Tips:
  • If you do not want to start a charging session, but have already plugged in, you might need to press “Cancel” on the charger screen to release the connector from your vehicle.
  • Depending on your vehicle model, you may also need to unlock your car to remove the connector."

Last edited:
I've recommended folks at PSA: On CCS1/SAE Combo DC chargers, best to stop the... stop via one of many methods FIRST before trying to stop by pushing the button the CCS1 handle.

FWIW Electrify America: U.S. EV public charging network | Electrify America says:
"How do I stop the charging session?
To end the charging session, just press the “Stop” button at the bottom right of the charger screen.
You can also stop a charging session through the Electrify America app. Select “Stop Charging” on the Current Session screen.
  • Tips:
  • If you do not want to start a charging session, but have already plugged in, you might need to press “Cancel” on the charger screen to release the connector from your vehicle.
  • Depending on your vehicle model, you may also need to unlock your car to remove the connector."

Thanks for reminding me not to use the handle button to stop a CCS session. I've only charged my wife's car with CCS a few times (it's a city car), and having gotten used to stopping my Tesla charging with the handle button, I'm afraid I might have tried the same thing once my CCS adapter arrives.

The thread you linked, PSA: On CCS1/SAE Combo DC chargers, best to stop the..., was fascinating reading.

The more posts I read about the finnicky-ness, counter-intuitive design, and danger of arcing if the handle is removed before charging is completely stopped, the more convinced I became that the CCS standard was designed to discourage electric vehicle adoption.

Then, I remembered the old cliché, "Don't assume malice, when something can be explained by ....". It's impossible for every engineer to graduate top in their class.

• Funny
Reactions: chinney
Sorry if I am not asking right question.
55DB6806-6632-4002-BB19-C015CE7E9B66.jpeg
36F9846B-6078-47CF-A43F-F7BECCAEB229.jpeg

Has you all know some older car are not Ccs enabled and P1537264-00-B needed with wire harnesses to retrofit, in order enable Ccs.

I have supplier who is ready ship me this ECU .P1537264-30-B ,
he say it’s ccs enabled.

Calls SC no help check back in 2023. Lol.

Any Expert in this group have an idea if P1537264-30-B will Works?

Picture with black wire harnesses is what I have on my 2018 m3 , works great this is how I was able order new Ccs adapter from tesla last week.
Even tho I have one already from HK seller.

The thread you linked, PSA: On CCS1/SAE Combo DC chargers, best to stop the..., was fascinating reading.

The more posts I read about the finnicky-ness, counter-intuitive design, and danger of arcing if the handle is removed before charging is completely stopped, the more convinced I became that the CCS standard was designed to discourage electric vehicle adoption.
CCS deals with arc danger the same way Tesla does with arc risk their native plug design. They both lock the cable to the car during DC charging and release the lock only after any danger of arcing has ended.

The Tesla CCS adapter locks the CCS plug to the adapter while the adapter is inserted (and locked) during DC charging which enforces the CCS arc protection.

The fact that some other CCS adapters are fail to enforce CCS’s arc protection locking is a flaw in the design of those adapters.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
CCS deals with arc danger the same way Tesla does with arc risk their native plug design. They both lock the cable to the car during DC charging and release the lock only after any danger of arcing has ended.

The Tesla CCS adapter locks the CCS plug to the adapter while the adapter is inserted (and locked) during DC charging which enforces the CCS arc protection.
I've used a number of EA connectors where the Tesla adapter's locking pin didn't actually prevent the CCS plug's release button from working even with the adapter locked to the car. So CCS1's method for preventing arc danger is a failure. (Or at least EA's implementation of it is.)

• Informative
Reactions: henderrj
I've used a number of EA connectors where the Tesla adapter's locking pin didn't actually prevent the CCS plug's release button from working even with the adapter locked to the car. So CCS1's method for preventing arc danger is a failure. (Or at least EA's implementation of it is.)
What does “didn’t actually prevent the CCS plug’s release button from working” mean?

Do you mean that you were able to unplug the CCS cable from the adapter while the adapter was still locked to the car?

Or, do you mean that you were able to press the button on the CCS cable to cause DC charging to stop? The CCS cable lock is not intended to prevent pushing the CCS plug button for the purpose of ending the charging session.

What does “didn’t actually prevent the CCS plug’s release button from working” mean?

Do you mean that you were able to unplug the CCS cable from the adapter while the adapter was still locked to the car?
Yes. I was able to unplug the cable leaving the adapter locked to the car. (Which the car then promptly closed the charge flap on the adapter still locked to the car.) Other people have reported the same thing.

Next time I am at one of the sites I'll look closer at the charge connector, but I assume that the locking tang on the cable is too short and that the very minimal movement you can get while "locked" to the adapter was enough to allow the cable to unplug from the adapter.

Next time I am at one of the sites I'll look closer at the charge connector, but I assume that the locking tang on the cable is too short and that the very minimal movement you can get while "locked" to the adapter was enough to allow the cable to unplug from the adapter.
I’m looking forward to learning what you find out. My guess is a partly broken (AKA broken) “locking tang” — the black plastic piece with a nub on the end that clicks onto the car inlet (or adapter) when you fully insert the CCS plug. It’s a failure prone design.

Yes. I was able to unplug the cable leaving the adapter locked to the car. (Which the car then promptly closed the charge flap on the adapter still locked to the car.) Other people have reported the same thing.

Did the US adapter come with an instruction manual? The translated Korean one that has been previously posted instructs the user to remove the adapter from the car with CCS connector still attached first and then remove the adapter from the CCS connector after that. I would trust more that the car will only unlock the adapter when the current flow is stopped (rather than trusting the CCS station!).

Reactions: DrGriz
Did the US adapter come with an instruction manual? The translated Korean one that has been previously posted instructs the user to remove the adapter from the car with CCS connector still attached first and then remove the adapter from the CCS connector after that. I would trust more that the car will only unlock the adapter when the current flow is stopped (rather than trusting the CCS station!).

• Informative
Reactions: pvdoug and Rocky_H
In theory, you shouldn’t be able to separate an undamaged CCS plug from the adapter when the adapter is fully seated into the vehicle inlet. The CCS plug latches onto the adapter but the latch can be opened by pressing the button on the plug to allow the adapter and CCS plug to be pulled apart. When the adapter is fully inserted in the car, a pin in the adapter blocks the CCS latch from fully disengaging (much like a native CCS car locks the plug). However, that pin is withdrawn as you remove the adapter from the vehicle inlet. So, if you have your thumb pressing on the CCS plug button as you remove the adapter then at some point it will no longer be blocked by the adapter pin and will allow the CCS plug to detach from the adapter as the adapter is pulling out of the car.

If you don’t press the button on the CCS plug then the plug should stay attached to the adapter and make it easier to withdraw both the adapter and CCS plug together. Otherwise, the plug might detach from the adapter as the adapter is detaching from the car and that might cause the owner to fumble the adapter and drop it on the ground.

I think this is why Tesla discourages owners on the center screen from ending charging sessions by pressing the button on the CCS plug. It’s not that there is anything inherently wrong or unsafe with ending a charging session that way but rather it raises the risk of unintended adapter and plug separation when withdrawing them from the vehicle inlet.

The same issue has been reported on the Bolt before with certain connectors. But it could also be that location just has a straight up broken tang (which also apparently is very common). The CCS1 design has been criticized for using a design with an easily broken tang vs the TPC and Type 2 design which has a locking pin that is much more secure and unlikely to break.

The same issue has been reported on the Bolt before with certain connectors. But it could also be that location just has a straight up broken tang (which also apparently is very common). The CCS1 design has been criticized for using a design with an easily broken tang vs the TPC and Type 2 design which has a locking pin that is much more secure and unlikely to break.
The EA station near me always has broken locking tabs too...

Even with a non-broken tab, I've found the cables are so heavy (and the CCS design is so poor) that the Tesla CCS adapter doesn't stay fully seated/locked with the CCS cable unless you prop up the cable you are using or let it rest on the other heavy cable that isn't in use on the station. If you don't it won't charge and you get a notification on the Tesla app that it isn't fully secure.

*sigh*

The EA station near me always has broken locking tabs too...

Even with a non-broken tab, I've found the cables are so heavy (and the CCS design is so poor) that the Tesla CCS adapter doesn't stay fully seated/locked with the CCS cable unless you prop up the cable you are using or let it rest on the other heavy cable that isn't in use on the station. If you don't it won't charge and you get a notification on the Tesla app that it isn't fully secure.

*sigh*
I’ve haven’t had this happen in about a dozen adapter uses so far. I wonder if this message happens when the car fails to lock the adapter. If so, you would just need to hold the cable in to the inlet for a short time longer until the car locks it into place.

I’ve haven’t had this happen in about a dozen adapter uses so far. I wonder if this message happens when the car fails to lock the adapter. If so, you would just need to hold the cable in to the inlet for a short time longer until the car locks it into place.
Nope, locking the adapter doesn't help. The lock in the car is on the bottom of the adapter, so the torque applied from the cable pulls it out some from the top. But I don't think it is the connection between the car and the adapter, the problem is the connection between the adapter and the CCS cable. This may come back to the same issue of a broken, or poorly implemented, locking tang.

The car normally beeps when it has this problem, and sends a notification to the app. The screen is just displaying the full screen charging information, so you can't see it there. I wish they would put it on that in large print at the same time to make it easy to see what the beep is about.

I sure hope the next generation of EA chargers don't have these problems.

…Sorry if I am not asking right question.I have supplier who is ready ship me this ECU .P1537264-30-B ,
he say it’s ccs enabled.
…Any Expert in this group have an idea if P1537264-30-B will Works?

Picture with black wire harnesses is what I have on my 2018 m3…

I am not an expert, but…

Tesla Part Number 1537264-30-B is apparently for a Chinese-made car.

Is it truly CCS compatible and would it work in a North American car (which is what I assume you have)? I don’t know. But if it was me, I wouldn’t risk it. Look instead for Part Number 1537264-00-B.

Also, I am confused. If you already have a working ECU with “bundle of wires” for your Model 3 and it is CCS-enabled, why do you need another ECU?

Reactions: boingolover