Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter - ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They are mostly along main routes - the Turnpike has a few, Route 1 in North Brunswick (10 minutes from me), etc. Which makes sense because these are mainly for road trips, and you would not need to stop more than once in NJ. Which is your loss. :cool:
I moved out of New Jersey for a reason. 😉 Not the least of which is that our $340,000 house had taxes of $8000 a year. (Same house is now evaluated at 400 and changed to $10,000 a year in taxes; it’s a dormered to Cape Cod.)

I shutter to think what New Jersey’s going to do when gasoline becomes less prominent and electric cars become more prominent. ($.20 a kilowatt hour in taxes?)

Add to that things like a “moving out of state tax” when you sell your home and don’t move to someplace else in New Jersey…. Not to mention the absurd gun laws that make even Californians cry…

I’m happy to have moved out of New Jersey. I’m still confused that there aren’t lots of car chargers in many of the small towns. When you compare it to places like Massachusetts or Maryland, or other places, it’s just sort of weird.

They are mostly along main routes - the Turnpike has a few, Route 1 in North Brunswick (10 minutes from me), etc. Which makes sense because these are mainly for road trips, and you would not need to stop more than once in NJ. Which is your loss. :cool:
Dan;

Do you know if you can charge at the Lawrencville SC? That would be convenient for me in a lot of my travels. And there is a starbuck for coffee near.

I moved out of New Jersey for a reason. 😉 Not the least of which is that our $340,000 house had taxes of $8000 a year. (Same house is now evaluated at 400 and changed to $10,000 a year in taxes; it’s a dormered to Cape Cod.)

I shutter to think what New Jersey’s going to do when gasoline becomes less prominent and electric cars become more prominent. ($.20 a kilowatt hour in taxes?)

Add to that things like a “moving out of state tax” when you sell your home and don’t move to someplace else in New Jersey…. Not to mention the absurd gun laws that make even Californians cry…

I’m happy to have moved out of New Jersey. I’m still confused that there aren’t lots of car chargers in many of the small towns. When you compare it to places like Massachusetts or Maryland, or other places, it’s just sort of weird.
Yeah, that sounds like my house. I think the taxes just popped over 10K. Paid 53K for it when it was 4 years old. Now assessed somewhere around 400

There actually are a fair number of L2 chargers. At least around here. Some apartment complexes. Somerville has some scattered in their various parking lots. Car dealers, And for some reason a number of Harley dealers which I think are lower power fast charge. Even my retro town now has a cahrgpoint 2 station at the municipal lot.

Reactions: GBMaryland
Dan;

Do you know if you can charge at the Lawrencville SC? That would be convenient for me in a lot of my travels. And there is a starbuck for coffee near.
I don't know. I know they have a bunch which I think are a mix of Superchargers and L2 chargers. Every time I've been to the SC, they have cars plugged in. Plugshare seems to indicate that power is turned off after hours, but there were check-ins as late as May. There are EVgo and EA chargers across the street in the Quakerbridge Mall.

Yes I would buy it in a second if it were available...

We are planning for a 3 week long road trip to New Brunswick in about a month. One of those will keep my mind somewhat carmer.
I would check the local Tesla groups and see if one could be borrowed. My purchase was mainly for the experience but usually travel in our 2018 X which is Free S/C. I personally don't use mine that much.

Why is it only rated for up to 150kW? I have the Tesla CCS adapter and pulled well over that at an EA station. Does this mean you can't use the aftermarket adapter at EA 350kW stations?
They work on any stations. Tesla OEM adapter is also rated for 150kW but it goes way over it. I heard someone in some Facebook group that said he reached 181kW with his Model Y performance with A2Z’s adapter he received today. They did most of testings at Petro Canada 350kW charging stations

Reactions: xEvoLveDx

Yes, it will be interesting to see what states and the federal government do to make up for lost gas tax revenue as EVs become a larger portion of traffic on the roads. They could add additional taxes for electricity, or do something like add a fee to your annual registration like they do in my state ($50/yr now in CO but may be increasing).

If they add tax for electricity I would guess it would be for charging outside one's home. I don't see government increasing taxes for home electricity because it would be very unpopular since homes need electricity in general and it would be like trying to raise the gas tax, which would be very negative politically.

More than 31 days after getting my CCS1 adapter from Harumio and I am very happy with the free charging. Only use superchargers on long weekend trips now.
Hope everyone that wants an adapter can get one soon.

2E6503ED-9387-410F-95A8-B1CC6D97691E.jpeg

Reactions: jsight
They work on any stations. Tesla OEM adapter is also rated for 150kW but it goes way over it.
It's a bit misleading to only point out the kW, the amps matter more because that is going to be the limiter. Tesla's adapter is rated 500V and 300A, but is over specified. People have charged at 200+kW (381V and 538A).
Tesla CCS adapter spotted charging at over 200 kW – is it finally going to be available?

The one you linked is rated 200A~150A, and 500~1000V. The higher voltage is irrelevant to Teslas given they charge well below 500V. So this adapter officially is rated for 1/3 less current. Under the equivalent standard (500V), it would only be rated for 100kW.
I heard someone in some Facebook group that said he reached 181kW with his Model Y performance with A2Z’s adapter he received today. They did most of testings at Petro Canada 350kW charging stations

Last edited:
It's a bit misleading to only point out the KW, the amps matter more because that is going to be the limiter. Tesla's adapter is rated 500V and 300A, but is over specified. People have charged at 200+kW (381V and 538A).
Tesla CCS adapter spotted charging at over 200 kW – is it finally going to be available?

The one you linked one is rated 200A~150A, and 500~1000V. The higher voltage is irrelevant to Teslas given they charge well below 500V. So this adapter officially is rated for 1/3 less current. Under the equivalent standard (500V), it would only be rated for 100kW.
Heum I get what you say. I do not represent the company. I think there are a lot of things we don’t understand here.
I attached the official specs of TESLA’s OEM adapter which are almost the same as A2Z’s. A2Z is also 300A and 500-1000V. Nothing is misleading. Tesla rated their official adapter for 150kW and yet people manage to get 220-230 kW. Why don’t we wait for feedbacks and reviews from all the people who ordered. It’s a passive adapter that passes the current from point A to B. In my understandings it’s the vehicle and the station that decide how much is provided to the battery. I’m only taking TESLA’s ccs adapter as a reference. According to what I know they took apart a Tesla official adapter and analyzed it to make their own. Anyways…

Attachments

• B3825AF1-EB1C-41C6-90A8-3FCA2662B820.jpeg
    B3825AF1-EB1C-41C6-90A8-3FCA2662B820.jpeg
    372.5 KB · Views: 86
Heum I get what you say. I do not represent the company. I think there are a lot of things we don’t understand here.
I attached the official specs of TESLA’s OEM adapter which are almost the same as A2Z’s. A2Z is also 300A and 500-1000V.
Not according to what someone posted upthread (bold emphasis mine):
A2Z Specs.

Specifications : Power : rated for up to 150kW. Rated Current : 200A~150A Conductor Material : Titanium Copper Alloy Shell Material : Polyoxymethylene (Insulator inflammability UL94 VO) Operating Temperature: -30°C to 50°C. Storage Temperature : -30°C to 85°C Rated Voltage: 500~1000V. Security : Dual Temp. kill switch. Charging stops when adapter reaches 90ºC. Sealing gasket: silicon rubber Security : Anti-Theft Lock. Certification: CE, TUV, RoHS, ETL (in the process) Degree of protection : IP55 (Protection from dirt, dust, oil, and other non-corrosive material. Complete protection from contact with enclosed equipment. Protection from water, up to water projected by a nozzle against enclosure from any direction.
@CaptUAL where did you copy those specs from and at what time?

I dug up your own post from not that long ago, it says 200A also:
screen-shot-2022-07-19-at-6-21-09-pm-png.830366

Did the specs get edited at some point? Seems kind of iffy to bump it up by 100A like that. These specs perhaps need to specify how many minutes it can withstand at those currents.

The internet archive unfortunately did not have their product page cached so I can't tell when they edited it.

Nothing is misleading. Tesla rated their official adapter for 150kW and yet people manage to get 220-230 kW. Why don’t we wait for feedbacks and reviews from all the people who ordered. It’s a passive adapter that passes the current from point A to B. In my understandings it’s the vehicle and the station that decide how much is provided to the battery. I’m only taking TESLA’s ccs adapter as a reference. According to what I know they took apart a Tesla official adapter and analyzed it to make their own. Anyways…
Actually that is the core issue. Because it's a passive adapter, Tesla has no way to tell what kind of adapter is attached (it can only assume the OEM one is attached). The adapter itself also has no way to specify a lower current limit to either the car or the charger (this is unlike the Mobile connector which does have a method to tell the car how many amps is the limit depending on what adapter is connected).

Last edited:
Yes, it will be interesting to see what states and the federal government do to make up for lost gas tax revenue as EVs become a larger portion of traffic on the roads. They could add additional taxes for electricity, or do something like add a fee to your annual registration like they do in my state ($50/yr now in CO but may be increasing).

If they add tax for electricity I would guess it would be for charging outside one's home. I don't see government increasing taxes for home electricity because it would be very unpopular since homes need electricity in general and it would be like trying to raise the gas tax, which would be very negative politically.
Oklahoma has an added charge on the annual registration and a tax on public chargers.

Actually that is the core issue. Because it's a passive adapter, Tesla has no way to tell what kind of adapter is attached (it can only assume the OEM one is attached). The adapter itself also has no way to specify a lower current limit to either the car or the charger (this is unlike the Mobile connector which does have a method to tell the car how many amps is the limit depending on what adapter is connected).
Their company started 3 months with the 100kW/prototype version. That could explain the typo on the amps. They may have forgot to change the amps value of their first version before deciding to have something more powerful that goes to 150kW and over. Mistakes happen.

Not according to what someone posted upthread (bold emphasis mine):

@CaptUAL where did you copy those specs from and at what time?

I dug up your own post from not that long ago, it says 200A also:
screen-shot-2022-07-19-at-6-21-09-pm-png.830366

Did the specs get edited at some point? Seems kind of iffy to bump it up by 100A like that. These specs perhaps need to specify how many minutes it can withstand at those currents.

The internet archive unfortunately did not have their product page cached so I can't tell when they edited it.

On a recent road trip I used my Tesla-branded CCS adapter several times on “350 kW” 500A chargers. In milder temperatures (75F) with cables that had been in the shade I was able to charge from lower SOC (~15%) up to ~65% at full peak charger current getting around 183 kW on a Model Y peak for several minutes and then normally ramping down. However, a couple of times in direct sun at 100F or hotter in Nevada it started off at peak power for a minute or two and then dipped down close to 100 kW (~300A) for a minute or two before increasing again to near normal power of 155 kW at that point in its charge curve and SOC and then ramping down normally.

I took this to be charger-initiated throttling due to excess temperatures measured in the CCS handle or car-initiated throttling due to excess heat measured in the car’s inlet although it’s also possible it was simply due to overheating in the charger cabinet itself. In all cases, the adapter was not excessively hot when finally removed from the inlet after I chose to stop charging at which time power rates were down around 80-90 kW (under 250A).

Of course, at this point I’ve used the adapter maybe 10 times and this experience might not translate to the A2Z adapter.

• Informative
Reactions: SageBrush