Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter - ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not according to what someone posted upthread (bold emphasis mine):

@CaptUAL where did you copy those specs from and at what time?

I dug up your own post from not that long ago, it says 200A also:
screen-shot-2022-07-19-at-6-21-09-pm-png.830366

Did the specs get edited at some point? Seems kind of iffy to bump it up by 100A like that. These specs perhaps need to specify how many minutes it can withstand at those currents.

The internet archive unfortunately did not have their product page cached so I can't tell when they edited it.

Actually that is the core issue. Because it's a passive adapter, Tesla has no way to tell what kind of adapter is attached (it can only assume the OEM one is attached). The adapter itself also has no way to specify a lower current limit to either the car or the charger (this is unlike the Mobile connector which does have a method to tell the car how many amps is the limit depending on what adapter is connected).
I copied all from the A2Z EV Shop YouTube of the CCS1 Thunderstorm Plug (8/6/22):

WWW.A2ZEVSHOP.COM A2Z EV is the first company to release an aftermarket CCS1 combo adapter for North American and South Korean Tesla vehicles. You can now charge your vehicle at any fast charging station. Road trip have never been easier A 2022 Tesla Model 3 RWD/SR+ we tested made a 10% to 80% charge in under 25 minutes. We carefully designed our product to ensure it fits perfectly your vehicle and without any danger to any of its components. Our adapter reproduces all the features of the original adapter. We equipped the A2Z Thunderstorm Plug with a dual temp kill switch that activates itself if the CCS1 combo adapter ever overheats, when your adapter's temperature reaches 90 °C the kill switch is triggered and stops charging your vehicle in order to protect it. When temperatures drops back to normal, your vehicle goes back to charging. Our CCS1 combo adapter has an anti-theft lock that prevents your adapter from being stolen or unplugged, only way to remove it is by authorizing it from your car or phone. Specifications : Power : rated for up to 150kW. Rated Current : 200A~150A Conductor Material : Titanium Copper Alloy Shell Material : Polyoxymethylene (Insulator inflammability UL94 VO) Operating Temperature: -30°C to 50°C. Storage Temperature : -30°C to 85°C Rated Voltage: 500~1000V. Security : Dual Temp. kill switch. Charging stops when adapter reaches 90ºC. Sealing gasket: silicon rubber Security : Anti-Theft Lock. Certification: CE, TUV, RoHS, ETL (in the process) Degree of protection : IP55 (Protection from dirt, dust, oil, and other non-corrosive material. Complete protection from contact with enclosed equipment. Protection from water, up to water projected by a nozzle against enclosure from any direction.

On a recent road trip I used my Tesla-branded CCS adapter several times on “350 kW” 500A chargers. In milder temperatures (75F) with cables that had been in the shade I was able to charge from lower SOC (~15%) up to ~65% at full peak charger current getting around 183 kW on a Model Y peak for several minutes and then normally ramping down. However, a couple of times in direct sun at 100F or hotter in Nevada it started off at peak power for a minute or two and then dipped down close to 100 kW (~300A) for a minute or two before increasing again to near normal power of 155 kW at that point in its charge curve and SOC and then ramping down normally.

I took this to be charger-initiated throttling due to excess temperatures measured in the CCS handle or car-initiated throttling due to excess heat measured in the car’s inlet although it’s also possible it was simply due to overheating in the charger cabinet itself. In all cases, the adapter was not excessively hot when finally removed from the inlet after I chose to stop charging at which time power rates were down around 80-90 kW (under 250A).

Of course, at this point I’ve used the adapter maybe 10 times and this experience might not translate to the A2Z adapter.
Yeah, I'm not particularly worried about this for the Tesla adapter. I would presume Tesla knows how to tune any temperature sensors on the car side to their own adapter (they have a lot of experience pushing the limits of the supercharger cables). The thermal characteristics of other third party adapters may not necessarily be the same however. For example, what does the 200A vs 300A mean (even if it is an earlier prototype)? Does "300A" mean the same thing as it does for Tesla's? How much extra margin is built in to handle the bursts to 500A+ and how long can it sustain that?

Reactions: Jeff N
Yeah I saw that as well, price is more expensive to let the advantage for the other company and not destroy their market. I think it’s to sell to other markets such as Taiwan, China or South Korea. I tried to buy from Canada but they said they don’t sell to Canada. Also the specs are way off.

Last edited:
Yeah I saw that as well, price is more expensive to let the advantage for the other company and not destroy their market. I think it’s to sell to other markets such as Taiwan, China or South Korea. I tried to buy from Canada but they said they don’t sell to Canada. Also the specs are way off.
I google daily to see if i can find one and saw this this morning. You think this is what tesplus and hanshoww are getting? What is the advantage of the stick on the oem one?

I google daily to see if i can find one and saw this this morning. You think this is what tesplus and hanshoww are getting? What is the advantage of the stick on the oem one?
I don’t know honestly, I don’t trust Alibaba they even sell iPhones 😂 Chinese companies like to make cheap copies of what we have in USA/Canada. They have no shame in taking the exact same designs but putting some crap inside. I had a friend who made a random product himself and been on lookout to find a factory in China to make his product. 2 weeks later his product was on aliexpress selling for half what it cost him to make.

Reactions: DM 171950
I don’t know honestly, I don’t trust Alibaba they even sell iPhones 😂 Chinese companies like to make cheap copies of what we have in USA/Canada. They have no shame in taking the exact same designs but putting some crap inside. I had a friend who made a random product himself and been on lookout to find a factory in China to make his product. 2 weeks later his product was on aliexpress selling for half what it cost him to make.
Yeah that is what I thought, I thought the extra pin was to not create an arc?

Either way mbianchi, i agree, if this is what tesplus is sending me, i don't think I want it. Don't really trust whatever thing is on that page. Was intersted in the a2z one but i really think i will just try to keep an eye out for the tesla korea oem one. Harumio offered to go the i give them my info route but i already saw someone on here got cancelled and quite frankly its not just my car on the account so i don't know that i feel comfortable giving that out.

Yeah that is what I thought, I thought the extra pin was to not create an arc?

Either way mbianchi, i agree, if this is what tesplus is sending me, i don't think I want it. Don't really trust whatever thing is on that page. Was intersted in the a2z one but i really think i will just try to keep an eye out for the tesla korea oem one. Harumio offered to go the i give them my info route but i already saw someone on here got cancelled and quite frankly its not just my car on the account so i don't know that i feel comfortable giving that out.
Agreed. I decided to trust A2Z because they were in business already before the EV division. Plus, they are based in Canada, they made testings and have a customer service which you can call and someone from North America actually answers, understands the product and is able to talk about specs precisely. That’s what I’m looking for.

Reactions: dodukes
Agreed. I decided to trust A2Z because they were in business already before the EV division. Plus, they are based in Canada, they made testings and have a customer service which you can call and someone from North America actually answers, understands the product and is able to talk about specs precisely. That’s what I’m looking for.
I am almost tempted to get it because i really want one for road trips, but right now its not an absolute necessity but then i realize i hesitated on the harumio one and didn't get it. You tested it right? Question, can it be stolen from the car? like does it lock like the j1772 adapter?

I am almost tempted to get it because i really want one for road trips, but right now its not an absolute necessity but then i realize i hesitated on the harumio one and didn't get it. You tested it right? Question, can it be stolen from the car? like does it lock like the j1772 adapter?
Yes, I tested it and no, while your car is charging or locked it can’t be stolen. Like totally impossible. It locks into the car. I used it for about one month and half. It worked like a charm and was very stable in terms of power. Will post more data once I receive my order.

Reactions: dodukes