Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter - ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The button on the CCS handle will not do anything if the Tesla adapter is mated to your car. The rod that sticks out and touches the car will prevent the button from releasing the adapter while the adapter is mated to the car. To stop the charge you simply *unlock the car* and press the stop charge button on the display, in your app, or on the charger.

If the door was locked when the charge session stopped you will need to unlock the door and unlock the charge port from the Nav display, I haven't ever been able to get it to unlock from my app.

When the adapter unplugged from your car the button on the plug should cause the adapter to be released from the CCS plug

Reactions: Luvtoride
The button on the CCS handle will not do anything if the Tesla adapter is mated to your car. The rod that sticks out and touches the car will prevent the button from releasing the adapter while the adapter is mated to the car. To stop the charge you simply *unlock the car* and press the stop charge button on the display, in your app, or on the charger.

If the door was locked when the charge session stopped you will need to unlock the door and unlock the charge port from the Nav display, I haven't ever been able to get it to unlock from my app.

When the adapter unplugged from your car the button on the plug should cause the adapter to be released from the CCS plug
so you're saying that this just means that charging must have stopped and the car is unlocked?

If so, then I have been doing it correctly (including I guess the 1772 which I do use occasionally at a place where I bicycle)

so you're saying that this just means that charging must have stopped and the car is unlocked?

If so, then I have been doing it correctly (including I guess the 1772 which I do use occasionally at a place where I bicycle)
Yes. I'm usually sitting in the car with doors locked. When charging limit is reached, I open my door, step out, press CCS button, and pull whole thing out. I've done this at least 50 or 60 times now. Only time I had to manually unlock anything is if I was outside already and the doors were locked.

When you remove the CCS handle/Adapter, make sure you use two hands, and you lift the cables to remove tension... I've found that the cables are so heavy, that if it puts any tension on the adapter, it will not pull out very easily, and you will think the adapter is locked to the car. This is especially true if you had to stretch the wire to make it reach, putting sideways tension on the charge port.

Reactions: DrGriz
Ok, maybe I should re-phrase what I said... When you pull the adapter out, make sure you pull it out perpendicular to the charge port. If there is any tension on the adapter, particularly sideways tension, which will happen if you are at an EA stall where the dispensers are mounted on the side instead of the front, and you have to stretch the cable to reach, the adapter will sit slightly angled. The important part, is that you don't try to pull out the adapter while it's angled... Straighten it out before pulling it out, that's the important part. How many hands you use is irrelevant :) I'm pretty sure this is how people manage to inadvertantly separate the adapter from the plug, and/or have the adapter fall on the ground.

Im amazed anyone is still debating purchasing this. I got mine back in April, shipped from Korea, and have charged over 600kW from various EA CCS stations absolutely free. Right now.. EA CCS stations have been free for about the past two weeks. I found this out while on a 600-mile road trip last weekend. And that's before I get to the part where Tesla is raising Supercharger rates again. Some Superchargers in CA are now $0.65 cents per kWh during peak daytime.

It's just mind-blowing so many Tesla owners literally spend thousands on EAP and FSD software, PPF protection, custom wraps, ceramic tint, ceramic coatings, plastic accessories & stickers off eBay/Amazon/Aliexpress, or new wheel/tire setup.. but will hesitate on a $250 adapter which literally DOUBLES the amount of fast charging stations they can access. The CCS1 adapter + J1772 adapter + mobile connector are items that stay in my car at all times.. as they all do the thing any accessory can do for my EV.. which is to charge the battery. Imagine buying a Toyota and only being to buy gas from Shell.. when there is an Exxon right across the street and it's cheaper (or free!!).

And look I get it. The CCS adapter is not at all required to drive or charge a Tesla. Hell, I'm sure there are Tesla owners who have never Supercharged. But this adapter is one of the best things you can add to your Tesla.. as CCS1 is the standard for DC fast charging in the US. And that's before I state the USDOT just approved plans in all 50 states to build a new $5 Billion federally funded charging network along all US highways. Or that Tesla plans to open Supercharger stations to non-Teslas this year.

Last edited:
Im amazed anyone is still debating purchasing this. I got mine back in April, shipped from Korea, and have used charged over 600kW from various EA CCS stations absolutely free. Right now.. EA CCS stations have been free for about the past two weeks.
It's been free for almost a month in the PacNW, lol... I've already gone on a few roadtrips, for free... Even the wife got in on the action, and charged for free during her trips.

I found this out while on a 600-mile road trip last weekend. And that's before I get to the part where Tesla is raising Supercharger rates again. Some Superchargers in CA are now $0.65 cents per kWh during peak daytime.
The also changed the peak/off-peak cut-off times... The charger near my brother's house now has 3 different rates instead of two... The cheapest rate is now only from 12:00AM to 04:00AM. With medium rates from 04:00AM to 08:00AM, and then peak rates from 08:00AM to 12:00AM. Can't remember if it's 8am or 9am, but it's something like that. My point is that there are now 3 rates instead of 2.

But yeah, I'm with you... When I first bought the CCS adapter in the spring, I thought it was just for insurance purposes or just in case... I actually ended up using it more than supercharging, becuase it was either more convenient at the locations I was at, or it was much cheaper... Frequently both, lol.

Reactions: Daekwan
But yeah, I'm with you... When I first bought the CCS adapter in the spring, I thought it was just for insurance purposes or just in case... I actually ended up using it more than supercharging, becuase it was either more convenient at the locations I was at, or it was much cheaper... Frequently both, lol.

I don't even look for Superchargers anymore lol. Im on the East Coast so EA CCS is pretty abundant here. I drive about 120 miles a day as my kids go to schools in two different counties.. and I know where the closest EA CCS charger is to both of their schools. Since I have a special 3-year charging promo code by using my wife's EA account.. I'm probably at the point where I now use EA to charge my car 2-3x every week. My CCS1 charger has already paid for itself. Hell maybe twice over by now. As not all free charging sessions show up in the App's history.

I also make sure to shop at specific Walmarts & Targets in my area as that's where the majority of the CCS chargers are located. Figure Im going to be in the store for 30mins anyways.. why not fill up the battery.

The supercharger around here, I noticed also has three different cutoff times, 08:00PM - 12:00AM, 12:00AM to 09:00AM, and 09:00AM to 12:00AM... There are only two rates currently, but I'm thinking they are planning ahead to be able to charge three different rates... Luckily for me, there is an EA station down the street from the condo we usually stay at while in town.. With these recent changes, I'm thinking of just sticking with EA Pass+ permanently, instead of just doing it month-to-month in the summer, since it looks like I'm probably going to be using EA much more frequently now.. On business trips, I used to go to the SC to hit the off-peak rate, but I'm not driving 40 minutes to do that now, especially if off-peak is going to be after midnight, when there's an EA down the street...

I drive about 120 miles a day as my kids go to schools in two different counties.. and I know where the closest EA CCS charger is to both of their schools.

I also make sure to shop at specific Walmarts & Targets in my area as that's where the majority of the CCS chargers are located. Figure Im going to be in the store for 30mins anyways.. why not fill up the battery.
I've been doing the same for the past month... After I pickup the kids, and take them to their various after school activities, when it's all said and done, I end up parked in a Walmart parking lot charging for free while the kids do their homework in the car, lol. I think just for the free juice for that past month, has already paid for my SK and US adapters, probably multiple times. (YEs, I was that anal, I bought the US adapter to have as a backup should the SK one break, lol) So while people debate about whether they should buy a CCS adapter, I have two of them, lol....

Reactions: cwerdna
Annoying- website said the ccs adapter would fit my car but it turns out I don’t have it enabled. Must’ve been built in a few months last year when they weren’t able to put in the ccs adapters.

Anyways, let me know if anyone in Chicago wants to buy it. It’s worthless to me for now.

Since I have a special 3-year charging promo code by using my wife's EA account.
Oh, this is gonna take off if they don't secure that loophole. Much worse than sharing your Netflix or Disney account, you are able to charge as many cars as you want with one promo EA account. I need to start making friends at the Electrify America station near me.

• Funny
Reactions: Daekwan and alexcue
Oh, this is gonna take off if they don't secure that loophole. Much worse than sharing your Netflix or Disney account, you are able to charge as many cars as you want with one promo EA account. I need to start making friends at the Electrify America station near me.

Does anybody know the details of that promotion? If I buy a used ID.4 do I get the promotion? Or it is only to the first purchaser? Does it transfer when they sell the vehicle or do they get to keep it?

From the VW site:

3 years of included 30-minute charging sessions on the MY23 ID.4 vehicles begins upon vehicle purchase. Non-transferable. Not available for commercial use, such as ridesharing. Requires Electrify America mobile app, account, enrollment in 2023 ID.4 Charging Plan, acceptance of Plan Disclosure, and $10 deposit to pre-fund Idle Fees and charging after 30 minutes. User is responsible for Idle Fees, which apply beginning 10 minutes after charge session stops or vehicle reaches full charge. After the initial 30 minutes of each applicable session, charging continues uninterrupted at then-current Electrify America Pass pricing. There is a 60-minute wait-period between charging sessions in which you receive the 30 minutes of charging under this promotion. In the event of suspected fraud or abuse or other unforeseen events, Volkswagen of America may discontinue or modify the offer in its sole discretion. Frequent and consecutive charging can permanently decrease battery capacity, which may not be covered by your vehicle’s warranty.

So buy an ID.4 to get the EA promotion, and then sell it while keeping the three years of free charging.

These instructions are actually the same as using just a J1772 adapter. If you don't follow this, the J1772 adapter will get stuck in the port and is difficult to remove when it locks.
I charge at work with a J1772 adapter all the time and do nothing but walk up to the vehicle, depress and release the charging cable button, wait for the car to make the same noise it makes with the Tesla native plug release, and pull them both out together. Next , release the adapter from the handle by pressing and holding the button, and removing it. Plug back into the Chargepoint station. Drive away.

Reactions: jf64k and iamnid
I charge at work with a J1772 adapter all the time and do nothing but walk up to the vehicle, depress and release the charging cable button, wait for the car to make the same noise it makes with the Tesla native plug release, and pull them both out together. Next , release the adapter from the handle by pressing and holding the button, and removing it. Plug back into the Chargepoint station. Drive away.
Exactly, pull both out together!

So i'm not sure if ECU's are just a lot easier to come by these days, or I just got very lucky, but I managed to score a gen 4 ECU (1537264-00-B) at the service center today. It was in stock!

Excellent!
  • What was the total price, out the door, with tax?

• So you would recommend that people in need of a CCS-controlling Charge-port ECU check with their local Service Center parts desks, correct?

• Is there a way to contact/search SCs nationwide for parts and have an ECU in stock elsewhere purchased remotely and shipped to your local SC (as can be done at conventional car dealerships)?

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyberspeed
Excellent!
  • What was the total price, out the door, with tax?

Tax will depend on the state / county etc, but $140 was the price before tax, $153.65 out the door here in Brentwood TN (9.75% sales tax).
  • So you would recommend that people in need of a CCS-controlling Charge-port ECU check with their local Service Center parts desks, correct?

Worked for me. As far as I know, that's the only way to order the part from Tesla, though in my case I initially opened a service ticket in the app and started chatting that way, then when they invoiced me I swung by picked up the part.

• Is there a way to contact/search SCs nationwide for parts and have an ECU in stock elsewhere purchased remotely and shipped to your local SC (as can be done at conventional car dealerships)?

They can definitely order the part, they had offered to order it for me once upon a time but I decided to hold off until the adapters were easier to get. But from reading forums some SC's are less willing to be cooperative than others.

So I did the swap this morning, put the car into service mode - I didn't bother with battery disconnect as general consensus is this is not really needed, it's not in the service manual for the procedure - and FYI with modern firmware you don't even need to be at a service center to enter service mode. I did the software reinstall in my garage.

Attachments

• IMG_0008.jpeg
    IMG_0008.jpeg
    799.3 KB · Views: 142
  • Helpful
Reactions: tps5352