Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter - ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So previously the Tesla shop page informed me (correctly) that my car required a retrofit in order to use the CCS adapter, but now since doing the update it's showing it's compatible:

Screen Shot 2022-10-01 at 12.17.25 PM.png

This confirms what some others have stated, that Tesla detects the actual status of the CCS compatibility and is not relying on how the car left the factory.

So previously the Tesla shop page informed me (correctly) that my car required a retrofit in order to use the CCS adapter, but now since doing the update it's showing it's compatible:

View attachment 858894

This confirms what some others have stated, that Tesla detects the actual status of the CCS compatibility and is not relying on how the car left the factory.
That makes sense, especially if they are offering retrofits starting next year. This is the only way that would make sense.

Tax will depend on the state / county etc, but $140 was the price before tax, $153.65 out the door here in Brentwood TN (9.75% sales tax).

Worked for me. As far as I know, that's the only way to order the part from Tesla, though in my case I initially opened a service ticket in the app and started chatting that way, then when they invoiced me I swung by picked up the part.

They can definitely order the part, they had offered to order it for me once upon a time but I decided to hold off until the adapters were easier to get. But from reading forums some SC's are less willing to be cooperative than others.

So I did the swap this morning, put the car into service mode - I didn't bother with battery disconnect as general consensus is this is not really needed, it's not in the service manual for the procedure - and FYI with modern firmware you don't even need to be at a service center to enter service mode. I did the software reinstall in my garage.
How did you put car in Service Mode? How did you force a sw download and update?

I thought only service folks had only that access.

How did you put car in Service Mode? How did you force a sw download and update?

I thought only service folks had only that access.

According readily-available Google and YouTube videos:
  1. Use center touch screen
  2. Go to "Software" screen
    1. Check that car has 2022.20.6 or newer firmware
    2. Press and hold the model title (e.g., "Model Y") under the image of your car
  3. Eventually, when you remove your finger, "Please enter access code" box appears
    1. Type in "service" (without the quotes)
    2. Case insensitive, I believe
  4. Service Mode disclaimer box appears
    1. Select "Enable"
    2. Car enters Service Mode (red border appears on the center screen)
  5. In Service Mode there is a "Software Reinstall" box (Haven't explored it, but the name suggests it should allow firmware re-installation.)
  6. Use "Exit Service Mode" button to return to normal car functions
Warning: I have never done this. Service Mode apparently has all kinds of (potentially scary) settings and options. BE CAREFUL!!! Don't change any settings unless you know what you are doing! (In comparison, think about how easy it is to "brick" [sometimes permanently disable] a smart phone by fooling around with hidden settings.) To be absolutely safe, maybe refrain from entering Service Mode unless you are already parked at a Tesla Service Center. ;)

Last edited:
I do and I have, got the $309 unit from Korea months ago and have been free charging up and down California for months, and sold my CHAdeMO adapter for a profit on Ebay which I had many many many times paid off in free power before I sold it.
First time on this thread and first time using my CCS 1 adapter (Harumio). Unfortunately, I have been unable to charge on the first two chargers that I attempted to use. Both chargers were the same brand (Veefil Tritium ZEF). No EA or Charge Point in my area. (Northern Wisconsin)

The problem, as I see it, is it doesn’t appear to make the connection to the car. The charger fits quite firmly into my adapter. For me, with vary weak hands, it was a struggle to slide the charger into and out of the adapter. The charger appears to “snap” in, latch to the adaptor, and requires pushing the button to release from the adapter when pulling apart.

I have tried different “connection processes” like starting the charger unit with my credit card before inserting the charger & adaptor. Likewise installing equipment first, and then using the charge card. Notes left by previous users have made these suggestions.

Comments left on Plugshare show similar problems by others, although most are successful.

Any similar problem or have additional suggestions or comments for me?

...first time using my CCS 1 adapter (Harumio)....

Just to clarify, do you have the aftermarket adapter sold most recently by Harumio (i.e., looks like the A2Z Olink adapter--see comparison list here), or do you have one of the original Tesla-Korea adapters (also sold by Harumio--also see here)? I assume you have the aftermarket version, but maybe you have the genuine Tesla version, like @Randy Spencer ?

Reactions: boingolover
Just to clarify, do you have the aftermarket adapter sold most recently by Harumio (i.e., looks like the A2Z Olink adapter--see comparison list here), or do you have one of the original Tesla-Korea adapters (also sold by Harumio--also see here)? I assume you have the aftermarket version, but maybe you have the genuine Tesla version, like @Randy Spencer ?
That's a really great list! I had no idea there were so many third party options at this point.

That's a really great list! I had no idea there were so many third part options at this point.

Thanks. Even with the loss of the Tesla-Korea and Ukrainian adapters, we started out in 2022 with seemingly a bunch of alternative CCS1 adapters. However, many have disappeared for various reasons. (Cough,! cough,! money and backroom deals, cough!)

Right now, only the Hansshow, A2Z-Olink, and original SETEC adapters are still readily available, I think. (The new Lectron adapter is supposedly delivering later this month; the Electway in 2023, maybe.) And all promised retail sources of Tesla-Korea adapters (for North America) evaporated. But of course, the Tesla-North America adapter is finally here, so all is (arguably) well.

Thanks. Even with the loss of the Tesla-Korea and Ukrainian adapters, we started out in 2022 with seemingly a bunch of alternative CCS1 adapters. However, many have disappeared for various reasons. (Cough,! cough,! money and backroom deals, cough!)

Right now, only the Hansshow, A2Z-Olink, and original SETEC adapters are still readily available, I think. (The new Lectron adapter is supposedly delivering later this month; the Electway in 2023, maybe.) And all promised retail sources of Tesla-Korea adapters (for North America) evaporated. But of course, the Tesla-North America adapter is finally here, so all is (arguably) well.

It's neat to see that the official US launch has lowered the prices across the board. I was considering a Harumio import but was kicking myself for waiting too long when that all dried up, so I decided not to make that same mistake once the official adapter launched. So I took a small gamble that the official retrofit will cost more than the $140 + $250 I paid, but either way, I'm glad to have CCS now (or in a few days at least). They're installing a CCS charger in my hometown which has no superchargers, and I think with the infra bill we're going to see more and more in random out of the way places.

• Helpful
Reactions: tps5352
The problem, as I see it, is it doesn’t appear to make the connection to the car.
Ive noticed a few handles the latch isn't very snug, causing the top portion to be able to pull out a few mm. The problem is that the top portion is where the signaling pins are for CCS, so this caused me a connection error. In these scenarios it worked to just hold the CCS handle and push it in until the handshake completes. Bjorn had these issues with the polestar that had similar issues with a drooping CCS handle causing handshake errors.

• Informative
Reactions: Arkbird
Mine looks exactly like the Lectron picture. My credit card shows that I bought it 6/03/2022.

Ive noticed a few handles the latch isn't very snug, causing the top portion to be able to pull out a few mm. The problem is that the top portion is where the signaling pins are for CCS, so this caused me a connection error. In these scenarios it worked to just hold the CCS handle and push it in until the handshake completes. Bjorn had these issues with the polestar that had similar issues with a drooping CCS handle causing handshake errors.
Thanks for the tip. I may try again by holding the handle up and then try to "connect" - enter credit card.

View attachment 853163
I bought this guy back in June. thinking I would need it, but finding out tesla's network supports my driving just fine.

I haven't needed mine either. But it's better to have something and not need it than to need something and not have it.

I ordered one, I hope I never use it. I also have jumper cables in my wife's ride. I also hope I never need those. Generator in the garage, only been started twice in 2 years. I'll keep the CCS adapter (and my J1772 adapter) in my car, because it's a lot cheaper than a tow and a hotel room.
I have not used my Harumio one that I ordered in late May or June (going to go verify which one it is now). But living in Idaho, I am glad I have it for options. I just drove to Bozeman Montana and back and was able to do it via Tesla superchargers, but I could see absolutely do use ChargePoint or EA on some of these interior trips. Seems like ChargePoint is more common here. Some more chargers are going in in Idaho from the federal funds and that will open some options well. I could have fixed some range anxiety I had on the way back when I went through Dillon Montana, where apparently there is an alternate charge at a university campus, but made it to Lima Montana and the supercharger there by reducing my speed instead. My daughter is up in college in Bozeman and We will probably be making that trip. I prefer the way through West Yellowstone and Idaho Falls but my wife wants to go to Dillon and stop at the Patagonia outlet once in a while. So, will be useful there. Also, a CCS will be going in in Arco, ID, which will help when I don't to charge to 100% to get home from Lima to Hailey/Sun Valley.

So glad I have it. My trip so far have been serviced by Tesla superchargers but glad I will have this option especially for the price comparison.

Question, can you manually cause the car to precondition the battery for charging at one of the alternate chargers like it does when you navigate to a supercharger?

I have not used my Harumio one that I ordered in late May or June (going to go verify which one it is now). But living in Idaho, I am glad I have it for options. I just drove to Bozeman Montana and back and was able to do it via Tesla superchargers, but I could see absolutely do use ChargePoint or EA on some of these interior trips. Seems like ChargePoint is more common here. Some more chargers are going in in Idaho from the federal funds and that will open some options well. I could have fixed some range anxiety I had on the way back when I went through Dillon Montana, where apparently there is an alternate charge at a university campus, but made it to Lima Montana and the supercharger there by reducing my speed instead. My daughter is up in college in Bozeman and We will probably be making that trip. I prefer the way through West Yellowstone and Idaho Falls but my wife wants to go to Dillon and stop at the Patagonia outlet once in a while. So, will be useful there. Also, a CCS will be going in in Arco, ID, which will help when I don't to charge to 100% to get home from Lima to Hailey/Sun Valley.

So glad I have it. My trip so far have been serviced by Tesla superchargers but glad I will have this option especially for the price comparison.

Question, can you manually cause the car to precondition the battery for charging at one of the alternate chargers like it does when you navigate to a supercharger?
Route to a nearby SC, then just drive to the other charger. I chose to try a chargepoint CCS unit over the weekend. It was so slow and clunky. App wouldn't work ended up paying by card.

Reactions: Sunvalleylaw
Ok, here is mine. Ordered June 1, right before I got my car. Order was delayed A few weeks but showed up June 24.

I haven't used it yet but thinking I will today or tomorrow down in Hailey at their new ChargePoint Just to test it. The J1772 is just the one that came with my car, but it fits in the case they sent. No idea what the green thing is for.

737A1625-36D0-4FA4-8685-A54D0424580A.jpeg
A55C60DA-803D-4F16-B73B-467393BBC76B.jpeg
8AA59EC9-D7A2-48CD-B26D-63405908E34C.jpeg

I also see mine has the correct model number for a Korean Tesla adapter. So I guess I have a collectible one! Ha!

70E9DEAA-52CA-41D7-825F-9FFB07F7A29E.jpeg

Last edited:
Route to a nearby SC, then just drive to the other charger. I chose to try a chargepoint CCS unit over the weekend. It was so slow and clunky. App wouldn't work ended up paying by card.
Well, that works in civilization. Not in Dillon, MT, and other such places bereft of superchargers. Bummer That ChargePoint charger seem to be so bad. Looks like this for me will be more of emergency situation than a consumer choice. EA has some chargers along I-84 duplicating and filling in some of the Tesla Superchargers along that freeway, and it is nice there is one in Mountain Home. But nothing in the interior between I-84 and I-90 up in north Idaho/Montana.

Last edited: