Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter - ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally got a chance to try out the USA model on the 22 MX. Was at 25%, did precondition and maxed out at 194kw. 25 mins to 80% predicted.

This was at the 350KW ChargePoint Fast Charger operated by FPL EVOLUTION in Fla. Quick test at 30c kwh.

Attachments

• 20221004_212934.jpg
    20221004_212934.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 82
  • 20221004_212957.jpg
    20221004_212957.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 61
Well, that works in civilization. Not in Dillon, MT, and other such places bereft of superchargers. Bummer That ChargePoint charger seem to be so bad. Looks like this for me will be more of emergency situation than a consumer choice. EA has some chargers along I-84 duplicating and filling in some of the Tesla Superchargers along that freeway, and it is nice there is one in Mountain Home. But nothing in the interior between I-84 and I-90 up in north Idaho/Montana.
There is a CCS charger in Dell, MT -- It may even be cheaper than the SC that is located in Lima, now that Lima charges by the minute instead of by Kwh.

Reactions: Sunvalleylaw
I have not used my Harumio one that I ordered in late May or June (going to go verify which one it is now). But living in Idaho, I am glad I have it for options. I just drove to Bozeman Montana and back and was able to do it via Tesla superchargers, but I could see absolutely do use ChargePoint or EA on some of these interior trips. Seems like ChargePoint is more common here. Some more chargers are going in in Idaho from the federal funds and that will open some options well. I could have fixed some range anxiety I had on the way back when I went through Dillon Montana, where apparently there is an alternate charge at a university campus, but made it to Lima Montana and the supercharger there by reducing my speed instead. My daughter is up in college in Bozeman and We will probably be making that trip. I prefer the way through West Yellowstone and Idaho Falls but my wife wants to go to Dillon and stop at the Patagonia outlet once in a while. So, will be useful there. Also, a CCS will be going in in Arco, ID, which will help when I don't to charge to 100% to get home from Lima to Hailey/Sun Valley.

So glad I have it. My trip so far have been serviced by Tesla superchargers but glad I will have this option especially for the price comparison.

Question, can you manually cause the car to precondition the battery for charging at one of the alternate chargers like it does when you navigate to a supercharger?
The charger at the Dillon university campus is only a J1772 slow charger. Town Pump in Dillon is supposed to be getting CCS chargers soon (but who know when.) In fact, most of the Town Pump chains along the Interstate corridors in Montana are eventually going to get fast chargers.

The charger at the Dillon university campus is only a J1772 slow charger. Town Pump in Dillon is supposed to be getting CCS chargers soon (but who know when.) In fact, most of the Town Pump chains along the Interstate corridors in Montana are eventually going to get fast chargers.
That is good to know and a really nice development! The interior route throughout Idaho and up into Montana to Missoula and Bozeman appear to be about the hardest trips I can undertake at this point. We really need Some fast chargers in somewhere like Stanley and Challis also. But the town pump development will be nice!

Last edited:
Reactions: KJD
Finally got a chance to try out the USA model on the 22 MX. Was at 25%, did precondition and maxed out at 194kw. 25 mins to 80% predicted.

This was at the 350KW ChargePoint Fast Charger operated by FPL EVOLUTION in Fla. Quick test at 30c kwh.
This may be obvious and perhaps was addressed earlier but I was unable to find it: How do you get it to precondition? Was there a supercharger near that you put in the Navigation, or is there another way?

This may be obvious and perhaps was addressed earlier but I was unable to find it: How do you get it to precondition? Was there a supercharger near that you put in the Navigation, or is there another way?
That was with someone else suggested when I asked recently. But that doesn't work for remote areas where there are not super chargers.

BUT, In searching, it looks like you can pre-condition manually by using the scheduled departure feature and even some of the climate features to get the battery warmed up so it charges better. How to Precondition Your Tesla Battery for Charging: 3 Distinct Ways That's sort of preconditioning may originally be intended for getting the car warm or at the right temperature for driving but appears to work for charging too based on this article.

That was with someone else suggested when I asked recently. But that doesn't work for remote areas where there are not super chargers.

BUT, In searching, it looks like you can pre-condition manually by using the scheduled departure feature and even some of the climate features to get the battery warmed up so it charges better. How to Precondition Your Tesla Battery for Charging: 3 Distinct Ways That's sort of preconditioning may originally be intended for getting the car warm or at the right temperature for driving but appears to work for charging too based on this article.
Thank you! I just got my CCS adapter and we are planning a trip through some areas where SuperChargers may be scarce. This may be enough to convince my wife to let me drive.

Ive noticed a few handles the latch isn't very snug, causing the top portion to be able to pull out a few mm. The problem is that the top portion is where the signaling pins are for CCS, so this caused me a connection error. In these scenarios it worked to just hold the CCS handle and push it in until the handshake completes. Bjorn had these issues with the polestar that had similar issues with a drooping CCS handle causing handshake errors.
Do you think I could use some type of lubricant to make the CCS handle slide into the adaptor easier and thus make the units better to latch together?

Apparently S3XY buttons have a precondition feature in beta, which has pretty much pushed me over the fence towards getting some as soon as that feature is released.

Apparently S3XY buttons have a precondition feature in beta, which has pretty much pushed me over the fence towards getting some as soon as that feature is released.
I didn’t realize that. I have two of the buttons (Glovebox and Autopilot), and I really like them. And because they are configurable on the fly you could change them when on a long trip.

Thank you! I just got my CCS adapter and we are planning a trip through some areas where SuperChargers may be scarce. This may be enough to convince my wife to let me drive.
Mind you I am just some guy on the Internet to look it up on the Internet and I have never tried that approach to verify how it works. Seems like it would in theory but again I have not done it yet nor verified through me own experience. But will try next time I use a non Tesla charger.

You may be right, but this is the second Charger I tried with the same unsuccessful results. I will try lubricant suggested and will try an EA unit once I get a chance.
I had one where the ccs latch would engage itself too early. This caused it to clamp down hard on the adapter before being fully inside. Hitting the button again was enough to free it as it wasn't really tight without the latch engaged.

Maybe you are seeing something similar?

• Disagree
Reactions: MyEarHurts