Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter - ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While you don't "need" to become a EA member, if you charge much at all it is cheaper to be a member for the month. Even for a single charge. (In the per kWh states it becomes cheaper to be a member if you charge at least 34 kWh, or somewhere around adding 45% to a LR Tesla.)
Yeah, that's why I decided to to just pay $4/month, instead of doing month-to-month in the summer, because of the recent changes to supercharger pricing and off-peak hours, it's more convenient to use the EA charger when I travel for business trips every few weeks, because the EA charger is down the street from where I stay, whereas the SC is like half an hour away, and they added 3 tiers instead of 2, with the super-off peak being 12am to 9am or something like that.

Reactions: israndy
So I finally managed to do my first test today at close to "ideal" conditions, peaked at 182kw, but by the time I got my phone out to take a pic it had dipped to 181. Anyway, I'm pretty happy with these speeds :)

IMG_0040.jpeg

Reactions: Sunvalleylaw
I feel for those other non-Tesla EV's in Montana. We have only three EA chargers in the whole state (that I am aware of) that are located in Missoula, Butte, and Dell. The eastern part of our state has VERY few fast charger at all, and NONE in the northern 'highline' part of the state. I have recommended to non-Tesla owners that they purchase Tesla to CCS adapters if they want to travel on the Interstate anywhere east of the Divide.

Reactions: Sunvalleylaw
I feel for those other non-Tesla EV's in Montana. We have only three EA chargers in the whole state (that I am aware of) that are located in Missoula, Butte, and Dell. The eastern part of our state has VERY few fast charger at all, and NONE in the northern 'highline' part of the state. I have recommended to non-Tesla owners that they purchase Tesla to CCS adapters if they want to travel on the Interstate anywhere east of the Divide.
This is my issue for paying even $4.99 per month. I rarely have cause to use an EA or Chargepoint charger. They are only a back up plan or alternative for route planning, and then only when I go to Bozeman, Missoula or somewhere like that. From Hailey/Sun Valley, Idaho. Most/almost all of my driving is in the valley, and home charged. My regular road trips are more to SLC (that will be a more regular trip, along with trips over to Jackson/Driggs/Targhee for ski work), Boise, Twin Falls, and can do all that utilizing superchargers for the most part. Though the Boise Superchargers could get overwhelmed causing me to use EA instead. If I start doing that, maybe I will register. But will wait until that is an issue. For now, and Montana travel, I have a daughter up in Bozeman now and will probably get up there a couple times a year, but no other official reason. I like to go see Pearl Jam when they visit University of Montana, and could otherwise find a fun reason to get up there. But for me, it is probably easier just not to join unless I start traveling there more. But I am sure glad there are at least SOME options for fast charging in the charging high desert/mountains. And glad to have my adapter(s).

Reactions: boingolover
Yeah, that's why I decided to to just pay $4/month, instead of doing month-to-month in the summer, because of the recent changes to supercharger pricing and off-peak hours, it's more convenient to use the EA charger when I travel for business trips every few weeks, because the EA charger is down the street from where I stay, whereas the SC is like half an hour away, and they added 3 tiers instead of 2, with the super-off peak being 12am to 9am or something like that.
Will watch the math on this in Idaho/Montana/Utah and consider accordingly. I have yet to take my MYLR on my bi-yearly trips or more to WA and OR, but will watch that for those trips too. I just hate being nickled and dimed for $4.99/$9.99/$15.99 for every damn thing these days.

And probably that price too. Lol
Lol. By the time the session ended it cost about $15 using the guest rate going from 22% to 70%. We did a similar session at a supercharger earlier in the day and it was also about $15. The member rate is cheaper, and if I used it at least once a month it would make sense to pay the $4 monthly fee as it would be significantly cheaper than supercharging after the first session.

This is my issue for paying even $4.99 per month. I rarely have cause to use an EA or Chargepoint charger. They are only a back up plan or alternative for route planning, and then only when I go to Bozeman, Missoula or somewhere like that. From Hailey/Sun Valley, Idaho. Most/almost all of my driving is in the valley, and home charged.

It is only $4/month. And even a single charging session is likely to be cheaper overall by subscribing. So if you end up needing to use EA, you can just subscribe right before you charge, and then cancel it so it doesn't auto-bill for the next month. (You still get a whole month of the pass+ discount.)

Lol. By the time the session ended it cost about $15 using the guest rate going from 22% to 70%. We did a similar session at a supercharger earlier in the day and it was also about $15. The member rate is cheaper, and if I used it at least once a month it would make sense to pay the $4 monthly fee as it would be significantly cheaper than supercharging after the first session.

Yep, it likely would have been cheaper if you subscribed just for that single charge. If you were charging in a per minute state and that took ~48 minutes that would be $15.36 for the guest plan and $15.52 ($11.52 for charge + $4 for monthly fee) for the pass+ plan. So it seems like you were just about at the break even point.

For what it’s worth, EA plans to put in chargers from the existing site in Butte out to Billings, MT and then on two highway routes out on I-94 and I-90 to Minneapolis etc. Also up through Great Falls, MT to Canada. This will greatly improve coverage in this region. These installations are planned during “Cycle 3” which ends in Summer of 2024.

314982EF-B530-4CCA-9219-E47155AE81B8.jpeg
34E26BEE-3854-4863-A081-CEFDD6EF036F.jpeg

I haven't used EVGO, but I know a lot of those have a session fee if you aren't a member.
When I signed up for EVgo I noticed they had a promotion with AAA where you get the same rate as non-members, but there is no session charge, and the promotion is free to AAA members (at least here in NorCal) so why not sign up for it. I can count on one hand the number of times I have plugged into EVgo

When I signed up for EVgo I noticed they had a promotion with AAA where you get the same rate as non-members, but there is no session charge, and the promotion is free to AAA members (at least here in NorCal) so why not sign up for it. I can count on one hand the number of times I have plugged into EVgo
Ok, we have AAA. So will do that. EVgo does not help my interior Idaho trips, but may on I-84/I-82, I-90, I-5, etc.

Plugged into a few CCS chargers this weekend (EVGO and Electrify America). Maxxed out at 184kW when I preconditioned for a nearby supercharger. I must say it was easier than I thought to use the CCS chargers and their apps to charge. Still not as convenient as tesla but I do wish they would show om the on board navigation if you confirm you have the adapter.

Reactions: boingolover
Plugged into a few CCS chargers this weekend (EVGO and Electrify America). Maxxed out at 184kW when I preconditioned for a nearby supercharger. I must say it was easier than I thought to use the CCS chargers and their apps to charge. Still not as convenient as tesla but I do wish they would show om the on board navigation if you confirm you have the adapter.
I also used EA this weekend. Didn’t get as fat but it the chargers all had another car attached so didn’t get the full charge, only up to 47kW. After 15 min, left and went to the nearby supercharger (I too preconditioned to that supercharger first). But very easy to use, and I agree the only issue was finding the chargers, the EA app’s nav isn’t as good as the in car nav.

the chargers all had another car attached so didn’t get the full charge, only up to 47kW.
Which physical chargers were these that split the power between two stations? I know the v2 Superchargers do that, and that is one of the advantages of the v3s. Which EA or EVgo chargers split the power? I'd love to speak with authority about this when I am CCS charging. People at v2s are always surprised when I tell them why their car is charging so slowly "In this WHOLE parking lot the two of you both plugged into the same charger even though you are at different places, you need to check the letter of the charger and be sure one one else is using the same letter"

Reactions: jsight
Which EA or EVgo chargers split the power?
The new generation of EA chargers, the one with only a single CCS cable, that say "Balanced Power" on the display.

Here is an article on it: Electrify America Introduces Power Labels and Balanced Power Technology Chargers

ELECTRIFY AMERICA INTRODUCES BALANCED POWER TECHNOLOGY​

Electrify America is also adding Balanced chargers to its charging network. This technology will enable all “Balanced” Electrify America chargers to be capable of delivering 350 kilowatts, meaning drivers will no longer need to search for a dedicated Hyper-Fast 350 kW charger at a charging station to leverage those capabilities.

Balanced chargers are typically located side-by-side and share a Power Cabinet. When a charger is Balanced, it can be ready to supply up to 150 kW of Ultra-Fast charging for vehicles capable of accepting this much power, and can provide up to Hyper-Fast 350 kW to capable vehicles when the adjacent charger is unused.

This Balanced technology distributes power amongst EVs during charging, as different EVs have different maximum charging limits.

For example, if two EVs are charging at the same time, each on Balanced chargers, but the first EV requires a much lower level of power, the chargers will Balance the energy dispensed to provide the maximum level of charging power that the lower-power vehicle will accept. At the same time, the second charger may allocate the remaining power to a second, higher-powered EV at the output that it can accept.

Electrify America chargers offering this feature will include a Balanced designation on the label along with the Hyper-Fast 350 kW indicator, so drivers can easily recognize this technology. Newly installed 350 kW Electrify America chargers will feature Balanced charging, while some existing chargers, especially those on highways, will continue to offer dedicated 350 kW power for drivers of EVs capable of charging at the highest speeds.

Electrify America and Electrify Canada will begin to deploy the new labels this fall. The Balanced power technology will begin to appear at Electrify America’s new charging stations this fall and in 2023 on the Electrify Canada network.

• Informative
Reactions: samori01 and 804son
So basically, EA is only just getting around to doing what Tesla did in the V2 superchargers and moved away from with V3 (where the entire pool of chargers shares the transformer).
Well, similar. Big differences are that V2 Superchargers allocate a minimum of 72kW/stall, V3 Superchargers allocate a minimum of ~90kW/stall (sometimes it is actually less based on transformer size); while EA is allocating a minimum of 150kW/stall. (Which they sort of have to do to be able to qualify for NEVI funds.)

But yeah, they finally figured out that dedicating 350kW to a stall is stupid, as very few vehicles can use more than 150kW for long. And they can make more money by splitting the power and having additional stalls. (Ionity in Europe still hasn't figured this out.)

Well, similar. Big differences are that V2 Superchargers allocate a minimum of 72kW/stall, V3 Superchargers allocate a minimum of ~90kW/stall (sometimes it is actually less based on transformer size); while EA is allocating a minimum of 150kW/stall. (Which they sort of have to do to be able to qualify for NEVI funds.)

But yeah, they finally figured out that dedicating 350kW to a stall is stupid, as very few vehicles can use more than 150kW for long. And they can make more money by splitting the power and having additional stalls. (Ionity in Europe still hasn't figured this out.)
Yeah but why the sharing only among a pool of 2 chargers? It's better to use the V3-like architecture where a single transformer can power any of several chargers at 250-350 kW. Because sometimes, the two that happen to need it at the same time happen to be next to one another.