Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS - buy now or wait?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow that’s cheap. What’s the price of gasoline out there?

For comparison, in LA home electricity is 20 cents per kWh and gas is $6.50 per gallon.
about $4.85 for regular around here in Dayton. Electricity rates just spiked. Had been $0.043 /kwh for the last 8 years. Next month it goes to $0.104/KWH.

Home electricity bill just doubled.... At least I get "free" charging at work.

I tow when on a trip so I want all charging options I can get. I ordered the CCS adapter 2 days ago

Attachments

• IMG_20220623_175720.jpg
    IMG_20220623_175720.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 97
about $4.85 for regular around here in Dayton. Electricity rates just spiked. Had been $0.043 /kwh for the last 8 years. Next month it goes to $0.104/KWH.

Even after the increase in home electricity rates, you still save a lot of 'fuel' money in Ohio. I wish California electricity were cheaper lol.

Reactions: Cyberspeed

Haven’t seen that spike in Cincinnati yet, hopefully won’t. The HVAC, Pool heater, and Tesla do a number on my expense as is.

Reactions: Cyberspeed
Could be Tesla will open up to other cars late Q4 of this year according to this article which I assume may trigger the release of the Korean only adapter in the US. Not exactly thrilled at having all cars at Tesla SC however I know it is important for the overall charging structure. Bet you those adapters required by the others will be only available through Tesla at a rather profitable price. Tesla will open up Superchargers to non-Tesla electric vehicles in the US later this year

It doesn’t.

Anyway, why would Tesla disable supercharging of salvaged cars? Is it due to safety concerns?
Yes. They don’t know what has been damaged to cause the salvaged title.

Could be Tesla will open up to other cars late Q4 of this year according to this article which I assume may trigger the release of the Korean only adapter in the US. Not exactly thrilled at having all cars at Tesla SC however I know it is important for the overall charging structure. Bet you those adapters required by the others will be only available through Tesla at a rather profitable price. Tesla will open up Superchargers to non-Tesla electric vehicles in the US later this year
Yes, but it sounds like new SC stations will also have CCs cables.

It doesn’t.

Anyway, why would Tesla disable supercharging of salvaged cars? Is it due to safety concerns?
I imagine it's because a car with a salvage title has typically been declared a total loss by the insurance company, so that's the trigger to turn off supercharging ability. I don't know how the process works that Tesla would know a particular VIN has been totaled.

Just going by what the articles say however accuracy of that is questionable at best.
White House press release:

“Tesla is making investments at its Gigafactory in Buffalo, New York to support the deployment of new fast charging stations to add to its fast-charging network. More than 1,600 employees work at Giga New York producing the Tesla Solar Roof and Supercharger stations, which are capable of charging vehicles up to 250 kW. Tesla is expanding production capacity of power electronics components that convert alternating current to direct current, charging cabinets, posts and cables. Later this year, Tesla will begin production of new Supercharger equipment that will enable non-Tesla EV drivers in North America to use Tesla Superchargers.”

Beginning production of Supercharger equipment later this year does not mean an adapter that is already being produced. They already do this (dual cables) in Europe. And Elon’s quote of ”having an adapter available at the station” is a joke. How do you “check out” this adapter? From the Supercharger staff at each location? Tweakers cut off whole cables to flip the copper, you don’t think they’d steal the adapters to sell on eBay?

White House press release:

“Tesla is making investments at its Gigafactory in Buffalo, New York to support the deployment of new fast charging stations to add to its fast-charging network. More than 1,600 employees work at Giga New York producing the Tesla Solar Roof and Supercharger stations, which are capable of charging vehicles up to 250 kW. Tesla is expanding production capacity of power electronics components that convert alternating current to direct current, charging cabinets, posts and cables. Later this year, Tesla will begin production of new Supercharger equipment that will enable non-Tesla EV drivers in North America to use Tesla Superchargers.”

Beginning production of Supercharger equipment later this year does not mean an adapter that is already being produced. They already do this (dual cables) in Europe. And Elon’s quote of ”having an adapter available at the station” is a joke. How do you “check out” this adapter? From the Supercharger staff at each location? Tweakers cut off whole cables to flip the copper, you don’t think they’d steal the adapters to sell on eBay?
It would be pretty easy to make stealing adapters not worth while. Simply blacklist some serail number or MAC( they have those?) address or something like that.