Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS combo 1 adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2021 Model Y should work, but you can also check your screen to see if it's enabled:
1674002825893.png

I'm interested in getting the CCS Combo 1 Adapter and it says to check my Tesla account to see if it will work on my car (2021 Model Y). How do I check this? Any comments on using this adapter?
If you are logged in to your Tesla account when you try to purchase, I believe it cross references your VIN with an internal database of cars that support it and will display a message if your car isn’t compatible.

Reactions: RichAZ/CapeCod
Thank you. You're right. I looked on the official Tesla sight, searched for the adapter and then it suggested I sign in - when I did, it said it will work for my 2021 Model Y.

Has anyone used the CCS Combo 1 adapter? We've had our Model Y for a couple years and never needed a regular commercial charger but there have been a few times when it was inconvenient, requiring preplanning and 35+ miles, each way, to charge. While a Level 2 charger with our J1772 adapter can bail you out, the charge times are long. Poor me - we're so spoiled with our incredible Tesla Supercharger system.

How do you find Level 3 commercial chargers?
Plugshare is the most up to date and comprehensive listing of all kinds of charging resources available. It's available as a web page or as a mobile app.

You will want to use the filters to view only the kinds of plugs you're looking for so you don't get overwhelmed.
The fast charging stations that use that adapter are the CCS1 type.

Got my CCS1 for my MY2020LR back in the summer and tried it out at numerous charger locations. It worked flawlessly at the very first location (free from NYS). The next location (EVGO) I couldn't get it the charger to work. at all.

Did two road trips since then and used Electrify America extensively. These chargers were hit and miss. Some worked perfectly, some didn't work at all. Some charged at a nice speed, some didn't. The rates were generally cheaper than Tesla's, but there are situations where Tesla beat the EA's rate.

I believe the adapter works great, it's more about the network you're using. We're spoiled by Tesla's network. Hopefully, the alternate networks that are growing out there will eventually approach the dependability of Tesla's SC.

Also, in colder weather, be sure to pre-condition the battery by tricking the car by setting the navigation to a Tesla SC and then drive to the alternate charger. For peace of mind, you should always have that Tesla SC as a backup anyway,

Reactions: Ulmo and MacO512
Has anyone used the CCS Combo 1 adapter
I've used mine a few times. The adapter works well. What doesn't work so well is the CCS charging network. It's not unusual to find that 50% of the chargers don't work, and the other 50% are occupied. I only use it when I have to. Check plugshare before going to a charger and read the comments to see which ones work.
Sometimes, at newer CCS installations, the plugs aren't "worn" and tend to stick in the adapter, requiring a lot of pulling to separate the two.

Reactions: RichAZ/CapeCod
How do you find Level 3 commercial chargers? Two years and I'm still on a steep learning curve.
Bob
In addition to apps such as Plugshare you can search for nearby "Electric Vehicle Charging Station" in Google Maps. If you search Google Maps for nearby locations using the search term "Tesla" the results including Tesla Sales, Service, Destination Chargers and Superchargers.

How do you find Level 3 commercial chargers? Two years and I'm still on a steep learning curve.
Bob
Level 3 (not the real name; DCFC Direct Current Fast Charger is the actual designation. Everyone will know what you are talking about when you say Level 3 though.) out of the Tesla system, as others have said, is hit and miss. Getting better, but, still...

PlugShare ought to be on your computer and smartphone. Shows virtually every charger (you set the parameters you wish) you might want to see. Play with it before going on a road trip.

Also, if you hit the right wheel button on the Tesla and say "navigate to Electrify America chargers" or some similar verbiage the screen will pull up a menu for you to look at of available EA chargers around you.

Rich

Reactions: jsight