Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS for Model 3 in North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 2017 comment is referring to the Chademo adapter, which has existed and worked with S and X for many years.
Well, this thread is about CCS. :p I think for Chademo it's pretty much the reverse of CCS. It was useful in the early years when the supercharger network wasn't as well developed, but it became less interesting outside Japan over the last few years, given the waning support by car makers. I'd be happy if Tesla made it work with the Model 3, but it's really more a gesture toward the existing owners. I doubt many people will buy this thing going forward.

Reactions: Zoomit
I doubt many people will buy this thing going forward.
A good gesture for current adapter owners is a good way to look at it. I’d say people shouldn’t buy it assuming the CCS version will be out soon. The CHAdeMO adapter is more awkward to store and use, more expensive, slower charging and tied to a limited network. Electrify America is putting the final nails in the coffin for CHAdeMO.

Reactions: Eno Deb
I’ve been looking at a couple roadtrip paths here from Montreal QC and its really not easy with a Standard range to go far. I cant wait for Tesla to release this adapter. In fact, it’s currently a reason to not buy a Tesla unless you have another vehicle for roadtrips in my area.
I am kind of surprised, Montreal area seems pretty good to me for SC coverage. North east bound to Rivière du Loup you have 3 I believe. You can make Toronto no problem...unless you have the Canadian SR. Then, I understand your concern.

I am kind of surprised, Montreal area seems pretty good to me for SC coverage. North east bound to Rivière du Loup you have 3 I believe. You can make Toronto no problem...unless you have the Canadian SR. Then, I understand your concern.
I have the Standard Range Plus. Not the canadian sr of course. Try to plan a trip to Prac National de la Gaspesie. You’ll see that it’s not really doable without using slow chargers since we’re currently incompatible with the Flo/CircuitElectrique fast charger network that uses Chademo and CCS.

Reactions: Threader and lukex4
I have the Standard Range Plus. Not the canadian sr of course. Try to plan a trip to Prac National de la Gaspesie. You’ll see that it’s not really doable without using slow chargers since we’re currently incompatible with the Flo/CircuitElectrique fast charger network that uses Chademo and CCS.
Ok, i realise that, however as far as Canada is concerned, Quebec is not the worse...

We don't know for certain yet if a passive adapter is possible with the North American version of the Model 3 without modifications. We do know that Model S/X produced prior to May 2019 need a hardware modification.

Ok, so the “hardware change to the chargeport to make the [CCS] adapter possible [that] they’ve now done” was in reference specifically to Model S & X.

We don’t know of any changes to the 3’s chargeport having been done or even being necessary. I thought I was reading some new info about the 3.

I speculate that they made the change to the S & X to make the adapter as small as possible for everyone going forwards instead of being larger like the CHAdeMO, or having two variants for CCS (smaller passive one for newer models and larger active one for older models).

That applies to the European Model S&X, we have no idea if the NA Model S&X will be compatible with a CCS adapter or what changes will be necessary.

It's true that we don't know for certain yet.

Having said that, I don't think there's any reason to expect it to be different from the European situation, aside from the 3 needing to use the adapter as well.

Hello,

ccs combo 1 adaptor to ccs combo 2 exist it is passive adaptor so if the north america model 3 use css protocol in back end it mater of do passive adapter

I contact the compagny produce ccs combo 1 adaptor to ccs combo 2 they say they could develop the adapter is they have order of 100 of those futur adapter

on the website you find the contact info
CCS1 to CCS2 Adapter - EV Plug - ShenZhen SETEC Power Co., Ltd.

seb

I think we could try to get 100 people sign in for an initial order (Iwould be one).

Did you got a price quote for a 100? What would be the cost for each?

After that we would need to obtain those CCS to Tesla adapter in Europe (those for model s/x)

But before going too far, how are we going to make sure that there is adequate com protocol in North American model 3?

Oh come on, fancy trip to parc de la Gaspésie...

Try réserve faunique LaVérendrie and beer is on me if you get past Rouyn-Noranda ;)

(Coudonc on est combien de Québecois à se répondre en anglais???)

Reactions: ChunkAhoy
Oh come on, fancy trip to parc de la Gaspésie...

Try réserve faunique LaVérendrie and beer is on me if you get past Rouyn-Noranda ;)

Actually you can do it without much problem in summer (M3 LR RWD):

XiU3rzN.png

Actually you can do it without much problem in summer (M3 LR RWD):

XiU3rzN.png
well, if you sleep there (maniwaki) or in Val d'Or you can make it.

But You'll have to go 65 km further north to get to my house. Took me about 14 hours total to get back from Montreal with stops at Mont-Laurier (1h) Val d'or (2h) and Rouyn-Noranda (1h45), besides the stop at Mont-Tremblant on the supercharger(40min). Quite frustrating when you get past 4 empty DC Public charging on the way from which 1 hour of charging at 50 KW would have been enough.... Especially when you got friends with Bolts that take this route without hesitation in the summer.

Ok not CCS, but it will do plenty for me.

CHAdeMO Adapter

Not enough for a Lagavulin 16 but plenty to open a good beer, cheers!

I'm really on the fence about buying the CHAdeMO adapter. It was noted earlier in the thread that there is no technical barrier to implementing a small passive adapter for CCS on the Model 3... I like the idea of smaller and cheaper ($271 AU), with higher power capability to boot!

I'm really on the fence about buying the CHAdeMO adapter. It was noted earlier in the thread that there is no technical barrier to implementing a small passive adapter for CCS on the Model 3... I like the idea of smaller and cheaper ($271 AU), with higher power capability to boot!
Could be an good idea, either for a group buy thing or a little sideline.

Anyways, you can still wait a bit for the chademo it does need software version 2019.24.x.x wich is not out "en masse" yet.. learned it AFTER purchasing it.