Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Retrofit Availability (2023)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find it frustrating that Model 3s shipped both before and after mine have had CCS support, but mine didn't- and I will have to pay to get it.
Yeah, I chose to take that bull by the horns by upgrading the ECU myself and importing a Korean CCS1 adapter. It was definitely an annoyance but i've made back what I spent in the form of free EA charging when they had payment system troubles last year 😆

Reactions: tander
Why would they have a 'separate' category? I just added CCS as an acceptable/custom plug type. Any CCS fast charger should work...
They don't really have a separate category. This is just a special link that automatically creates a filter of CCS ports on the Tesla Supercharger network. If you select CCS as the Plug type and leave the Network filter set to the default of all 26 networks, it will show all CCS stations. That includes Tesla Supercharger (with Magic Dock) as well as your traditional Electrify America station.

1680912697664.png

1680912736833.png

Update to the original topic of this thread. Yesterday, I put in a service request to get the CCS hardware upgrade for our 2018 Model 3.
This morning, I got my service appointment cancelled and was informed that "The retrofit for the Model 3's and Y's is not available yet, mid 2023 is the time line."

Update to the original topic of this thread. Yesterday, I put in a service request to get the CCS hardware upgrade for our 2018 Model 3.
This morning, I got my service appointment cancelled and was informed that "The retrofit for the Model 3's and Y's is not available yet, mid 2023 is the time line."
Same thing happened to me a couple months ago. I have free CCS charging walking distance to my house and STILL can’t use it

Okay, I am dumb. I know what a tesla supercharger station is. I assume I knew what the rest were with a J1772 plug. So tesla gave me with my new MY a j1772 to tesla plug adapter. So, what is CCS? what is this used for? Why would a person with a telsa need?
How my charging stations have? Sorry for the dumb questions

Okay, I am dumb. I know what a tesla supercharger station is. I assume I knew what the rest were with a J1772 plug. So tesla gave me with my new MY a j1772 to tesla plug adapter. So, what is CCS? what is this used for? Why would a person with a telsa need?
The CCS adapter gives you the option to use other super-fast (DCFC) units by Electrify America, EVGo, etc, in addition to the SuperCharger network. THerefore, you have more places to fast charge, especially when on a road trip or in areas where the SuperCharger network is sparse. The adapter you have is for L2. CCS is something referred to as L3 charging...

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
The CCS adapter gives you the option to use other super-fast (DCFC) units by Electrify America, EVGo, etc, in addition to the SuperCharger network. THerefore, you have more places to fast charge, especially when on a road trip or in areas where the SuperCharger network is sparse. The adapter you have is for L2. CCS is something referred to as L3 charging...
So, anyone who has a tesla and wants to use a DCFC stations, needs to purchase one of these adapters? That would be cool

They don't really have a separate category. This is just a special link that automatically creates a filter of CCS ports on the Tesla Supercharger network. If you select CCS as the Plug type and leave the Network filter set to the default of all 26 networks, it will show all CCS stations. That includes Tesla Supercharger (with Magic Dock) as well as your traditional Electrify America station.

View attachment 926084

View attachment 926085
where did you get this map from?

All automakers, except Tesla, use CCS to fast charge their EVs.

Tesla also uses CCS in Europe and parts of Asia.

• Informative
So, anyone who has a tesla and wants to use a DCFC stations, needs to purchase one of these adapters? That would be cool
Yes. It gives you more options. Note that for some older Teslas (like mine), I had to have them modify my charging system. Newer vehicles have the CCS modification and only need an adapter (cost is about $175). Older vehicles need a service visit for a hardware modification and firmware update PLUS the adapter. Right now that cost is $450 for both. You will have to decide the cost vs benefit equation. Good luck.

• Helpful
...two more weeks :)
It's two more weeks until the beginning of "mid-2023," assuming an early/middle/late split. Late August would still qualify as "mid-2023," by this same split. Also, IIRC, Tesla is saying to check back in mid-2023; they aren't promising that you'll actually be able to get the service within that time window. Thus, it could well be very late 2023, or even into 2024, before everybody who wants the upgrade right away has it, and of course later than that for any stragglers.

• Funny
Reactions: FMinMI