Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Retrofit Availability (2023)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is anyone aware if the retrofit is needed to use upcoming non-Tesla NACS stations ? I don’t mean those with a chademo adapter embedded in them but actual NACS. I’m assuming those will “speak” CCS rather than proprietary Tesla protocol ?
According to the NACS standard as currently written, yes absolutely. NACS currently specifics CCS for communication, and that is extremely unlikely to change.

Reactions: Rocky_H and Allx
Is anyone aware if the retrofit is needed to use upcoming non-Tesla NACS stations ?
Yes, the retrofit will be required. The dispensers currently only have CCS protocol support.

Vendors are considering support for native Tesla protocol. It’s pretty likely Tesla will agree to license it since that improves charging for older cars.

Don’t hold your breath. Once they think it’s worthwhile, it will take some time to implement and and debug. Implementation might require integration with Tesla’s Supercharger back-end. Add more time for deployment…

Last edited:
My guess would be just CCS/NACS protocol. The Plug&Charge support will be a new feature for Tesla, since they don't currently support that.
Yea, no doubt this selling OEM hardware is a new wrinkle/oddity for Tesla. Other wonderings are will Tesla customize the software for BP, will they show up as "Tesla Superchargers" in our cars and more interestingly will Tesla be awarded a contract for all maintenance? Lots to ponder. Hope end users like BP will see the advantage to using Tesla OEM maintenance (if offered) since they are almost as good an Electrify America. 🤪 🤣

will they show up as "Tesla Superchargers" in our cars
I suspect that is a no. BP specifically mentioned that they will show up in Tesla cars just like other third-party CCS sites as long as they meet Tesla's uptime/performance requirements. Something I have only seen Tesla pilot in a few other countries, I don't think they have implemented that in North America yet. (Or maybe no third-party CCS sites in NA currently meet Tesla's requirements? :eek:)

To further improve user experience, the Tesla chargers will support use of the Plug and Charge protocol, which simplifies and automates payments. As is Tesla's current policy, third-party operated ultra-fast chargers meeting Tesla's reliability and functionality requirements are featured in Tesla's vehicle UI and apps, and bp pulse expects to uphold those requirements on its network.

Or maybe no third-party CCS sites in NA currently meet Tesla's requirements?

At a guess it's a combination of two things.

One: most fast chargers in NA requiring a CCS adapter and Tesla doesn't want to include chargers in the navigation system if an adapter is required. In the countries where Tesla has done this I believe all cars are CCS.

Two: the third party fast chargers in NA that don't require an adapter are (primarily) EVGO stations with the built in Chademo adapter. These are pretty slow. And get pretty low usage of the Tesla connector so it may be hard for them to meet Tesla's standards.

One: most fast chargers in NA requiring a CCS adapter and Tesla doesn't want to include chargers in the navigation system if an adapter is required. In the countries where Tesla has done this I believe all cars are CCS.
In the pilot countries the Model S&X still require an adapter, and possible CCS retrofit. If you don't have the CCS retrofit the nav will not show third-party CCS chargers, or Tesla V3 Superchargers. (They both require the adapter and the vehicle itself supporting CCS.)

Obviously, the retrofit includes the adapter, but I think new S&X that came with CCS support also came with the adapter. So that made it easy. (In that every car with CCS support should have an adapter unless the person left it at a charger site, or lost it some other way.)

It could be that they won't start showing third-party CCS sites in the nav in North America until they at least offer the CCS retrofit for all vehicles. (They still don't offer it for the older Model 3&Y vehicles.) It would probably need to make sure to indicate "adapter required". Maybe even add an option to show/hide sites that require an adapter. (I'm not sure how third-party sites are displayed in Europe. Do they show under the 3 lightning bolt option? 2 lightning bolts? Something else?)

• Informative
Reactions: gsmith123
Interesting. It used to say “mid 2023”. That means they’ve revised the text and still gauging it’ll be in the next 2 months. Cautiously a optimistic 🤞
Yea I actually think this is positive. They could have added something generic like “in the future” or switched to “not available at this time” if this wasn’t still imminently planned.

Yea I actually think this is positive. They could have added something generic like “in the future” or switched to “not available at this time” if this wasn’t still imminently planned.
Until we start seeing large numbers of NACS station retrofits and native deployments, I suspect this will remain on the backburner. Maybe 2025 will be the year?