Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Retrofit Availability (2023)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the retrofit done for my 2017 S yesterday via mobile service. The tech strangely tried to talk me out of it before starting. Saying how I could save myself $500 since everything is switching to "the Tesla connector" anyway. I mentioned how, at least as of now, even if non-Tesla chargers have the NACS connector they'd still require CCS to communicate but he seemed confused lol.

Can’t live without it if you want to travel in south east New Mexico or parts of southern Colorado like up to Durango and Ouray.

I bought the part last Summer and installed it myself last Summer in my 2021 Y. Then I was able to visit Ouray and Carlsbad from Santa Fe.

Installation took a couple hours. The board was easy. It’s the disassembly and reassembly of the car parts to access the board that takes time.

I mentioned how, at least as of now, even if non-Tesla chargers have the NACS connector they'd still require CCS to communicate but he seemed confused lol.
I saw that some existing EVgo chargers come with Tesla connectors and make no mention of CCS compatibility being required, but they limit charging speeds to 50kW.

In contrast, they advertise up to 250kW using their CCS connectors and a CCS-to-Tesla adapter, but they’re careful to state that you have to check vehicle compatibility first.

I wonder if they could be mimicking a Chademo adapter through their Tesla connectors to get that 50kW even on non-CCS compatible Teslas?

IMG_6927.jpeg

IMG_6928.jpeg

IMG_6929.jpeg