Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Retrofit Availability (2023)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
is it possible to get the retrofit with OUT the adapter, I already have one. is there a price difference without it?
Possible? Yes (almost anything is possible). Probable? Maybe, as it will depend upon who you are dealing with at Tesla Service. I assume that they could adjust the price by deleting the stand-alone cost of the CCS1 adapter from the package deal but at this point in time, there's no guarantee

I’m looking to upgrade a 2018 M3… on the tesla website, it shows $350 for that model type, which includes the adaptor. But, when I go into SERVICE on the app, it shows me a price of $670.01 plus tax? Anyone else have this?

For those who managed to schedule the upgrade and adaptor purchase, did you do it online, or in app? and what was the end price?

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
Possible? Yes (almost anything is possible). Probable? Maybe, as it will depend upon who you are dealing with at Tesla Service. I assume that they could adjust the price by deleting the stand-alone cost of the CCS1 adapter from the package deal but at this point in time, there's no guarantee
I have messaged service about this. No response yet. Maybe closed on Saturday?

I’m looking to upgrade a 2018 M3… on the tesla website, it shows $350 for that model type, which includes the adaptor. But, when I go into SERVICE on the app, it shows me a price of $670.01 plus tax? Anyone else have this?

For those who managed to schedule the upgrade and adaptor purchase, did you do it online, or in app? and what was the end price?
Mine was $892 for a 2018 in app. It shows two $350 parts plus labor. I sent a message back asking about it. If that price stands, I’ll cancel the appointment.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod and KJD
The estimate should individually identify the specific parts? What is the second part (other than the CCS adaptor with CCS module)?
They are both called “KIT, RETROFIT, CCS1 ADAPTOR”. One has part number 1652005-00-A and the other 1652004-00-A. There is also a total of 0.84 labor hours spread across a couple of line items, including 0.60 hours for “Correction: Inspect Vehicle: Vehicle Already Configured for CCS Charging”. The vehicle says that CCS Adaptor Support is not installed, so I’m not sure what that item is about.

They are both called “KIT, RETROFIT, CCS1 ADAPTOR”. One has part number 1652005-00-A and the other 1652004-00-A. There is also a total of 0.84 labor hours spread across a couple of line items, including 0.60 hours for “Correction: Inspect Vehicle: Vehicle Already Configured for CCS Charging”. The vehicle says that CCS Adaptor Support is not installed, so I’m not sure what that item is about.
According to Retrofit CCS compatibility onto earlier (NA) Model 3 - DIY approach, and the following message, one of those parts appears to be a replacement for the charge port, needed for CCS compatibility for charge ports on Model 3's built before Aug 2020. Labor may be for replacement of charge port but they should not charge labor for install of the standard retrofit ECU as install is included in the $350 price.

Mine just shows a single part number with 0.24 hours of labor.

As I mentioned in a different thread. I can't see Tesla directing drivers to an unreliable CCS station that is more that likely to be unusable since they provide warranty tows to drivers who arrive at one of their stations they've directed them to and find it down.
Maybe they will if there end up being reliable CCS stations that can live up to Tesla's standards.
They do show *some* chademo stations. So I don’t know if that’s the issue

I can't see Tesla directing drivers to an unreliable CCS station that is more that likely to be unusable
Nope, they have criteria for adding third-party fast chargers to the navigation system:

They do show *some* chademo stations. So I don’t know if that’s the issue
Yep, I'm just speculating. I actually don't know any more than a lot of the complainers here. I just realize it and am trying to come up with plausible explanations.
Just out of curiosity, can you give me an example of a CHAdeMO station that appears on Tesla navigation in the USA? I haven't seen one.

They are both called “KIT, RETROFIT, CCS1 ADAPTOR”. One has part number 1652005-00-A and the other 1652004-00-A.
My guess is one kit is for the older vehicles that need either a different ECU, or a harness adapter to be able to use the new charge port ECU. (So different kit for older and newer Model 3s.)

And that they would remove one of them once they know for sure what your vehicle needs. (They have done that with some other things in the past.)

My guess is one kit is for the older vehicles that need either a different ECU, or a harness adapter to be able to use the new charge port ECU. (So different kit for older and newer Model 3s.)

And that they would remove one of them once they know for sure what your vehicle needs. (They have done that with some other things in the past.)
That’s exactly it. Early model 3s have the so called gen3 charge ecu. Later model 3s and model Ys have the gen 4 module. The generation change also brought some thermistor differences etc, hence the bundle of wires hack. But Tesla would just use a different module for each to expect the right connections

Yep, I'm just speculating. I actually don't know any more than a lot of the complainers here. I just realize it and am trying to come up with plausible explanations.
Just out of curiosity, can you give me an example of a CHAdeMO station that appears on Tesla navigation in the USA? I haven't seen one.

Many/most EVgo stations that have the integrated CHAdeMO adapter show up on the Tesla nav. One needs to have the "two lightning bolt" option, same as for Urban Superchargers, selected on the nav screen when displaying charging locations. Even turns on preconditioning while driving to them.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Many/most EVgo stations that have the integrated CHAdeMO adapter show up on the Tesla nav. One needs to have the "two lightning bolt" option, same as for Urban Superchargers, selected on the nav screen when displaying charging locations. Even turns on preconditioning while driving to them.
Cool! I guess there never are any of those where I've navigated to.
I guess EVgo has earned Tesla's confidence, at least in some cases.
Hopefully, more DCFCs will eventually get there too.

Reactions: KJD