Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Retrofit Availability (2023)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cool! I guess there never are any of those where I've navigated to.
I guess EVgo has earned Tesla's confidence, at least in some cases.
Hopefully, more DCFCs will eventually get there too.

This is weird. I just went out to look, and Tesla seems to have recently changed it. There is no longer a "two lightning bolt" option. Just one and three. The EVgo stations show up under the one bolt option, along with Destination stations.

Anyway - one of the earliest attempts by EVgo was where they hung an off-the-shelf CHAdeMO adapter from a steel cable. One near here that does NOT appear on the Tesla nav screen is:

Lucky | Los Altos, CA | EV Station

One where they placed the guts of the CHAdeMO adapter in a special housing and used a long Tesla cable, and DOES show on the Tesla nav screen is:

Whole Foods Market | Cupertino, CA | EV Station

This latter site is only a block away from the 28 stall Cupertino SC site. So I doubt they get much Tesla business anymore.

I set my navigation to it, and it didn't indicate preconditioning. So maybe they only do preconditioning for V2/V3 these days? More testing needed...

Got it installed (2019 model 3)! The kit includes only the adapter and a single board, so the "bundle of wires" must be integrated in the new board somehow; it must be a new board (I did not catch the board part number). The installer has done X/S installs before and this he said on the software side was totally different, he did did not see the "normal" X/S upgrade button; so we both decided just to try to force a software upgrade/reset (similar to the bundle of wires install). That did the trick and its now installed.

I just submitted a service request through the app for my 2018 Model 3 LR RWD (VIN 444xx) for the CCS retrofit. We'll see if/how this goes through (appointment is for this Saturday 3/16).

edit: Tesla store (shop.tesla.com) said retrofit cost is $350 (presumably a new ECU and the CCS1 adapter). I already have the CCS1 adapter from South Korea and a -00-B charge port ECU. If this works, then I'll keep the adapter as a spare and probably sell off the charge port ECU.

Last edited:
Update:

1710190079018.png

I set my navigation to it, and it didn't indicate preconditioning. So maybe they only do preconditioning for V2/V3 these days?
I wouldn't assume there would be much preconditioning required to get ~50 KW. With our 70 KWh Model 3, that's only 0.7C, hardly a stress on any battery.
More testing needed...
Yep. I don't have time but will appreciate anything folks can learn and share.

Reactions: Denny Hsu
That’s exactly it. Early model 3s have the so called gen3 charge ecu. Later model 3s and model Ys have the gen 4 module. The generation change also brought some thermistor differences etc, hence the bundle of wires hack. But Tesla would just use a different module for each to expect the right connections
FWIW, I got a message that the retrofit is not yet available for the Model 3 and my appointment was cancelled.

Seems funny since a couple people above literally got it done lol
Well, from my count, only @tpm1999 so far has gotten the official Tesla CCS1 retrofit. Two of us (myself and @thefrog1394 ) have scheduled the work with Tesla service and received an estimate of cost. That's not quite "got it done" at the moment. There's always a chance that service will cancel the appointment.

edit: Now two have official CCS1 charging in an older Model 3 (@Waiting… )

Last edited:
Reactions: KJD
Well, from my count, only @tpm1999 so far has gotten the official Tesla CCS1 retrofit. Two of us (myself and @thefrog1394 ) have scheduled the work with Tesla service and received an estimate of cost. That's not quite "got it done" at the moment. There's always a chance that service will cancel the appointment.
I got mine replaced for my 2019 model 3 today. They made my buy the adapter even though I ready had one. They said I was the first person to get my model 3 done. They had only done model S before me.

I went over to Electrify America and it worked 🙂

I got bored and decided to take a look at the part number for the 2019 tesla model 3 ccs upgrade (that came in the adapter and board upgrade kit). The part number for the new board is 1537264-09-B Rev01. I could not find much about that board online, but I see that someone is already selling it on ebay. So if you already have a CCS adapter, this route MIGHT (i have no idea...dont trust me) be a way to do the install relatively cheaply/easily yourself.

Reactions: Rippin1Gear
I got bored and decided to take a look at the part number for the 2019 tesla model 3 ccs upgrade (that came in the adapter and board upgrade kit). The part number for the new board is 1537264-09-B Rev01. I could not find much about that board online, but I see that someone is already selling it on ebay. So if you already have a CCS adapter, this route MIGHT (i have no idea...dont trust me) be a way to do the install relatively cheaply/easily yourself.
That is the same board that I bought off ebay and installed in my 2021 M3LR. For older M3s, you need the 'bundle of wires' to go with this part.

Here's some good info on the DIY approach: https://www.2muchsun.com/single-post/how-to-enable-ccs-adapter-support-on-model-3-and-y