Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS / Type 2 socket - charge cable not fully secured errors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are having a few 'charge cable not fully secured' errors of late. I just wanted to check that nothing too out of the ordinary going on with our charge port, other than a bit of dirt which I have no idea on how safe that will be to try and clean. I certainly have no intention on using any cleaning products which apparently can leave a residue and cause more problems.

I'm particularly interested in the arrowed pins. CP is very recessed within the socket, and N seems to have something to the top left of it probably at the base of the pin which didn't show up when I visually checked and only noticed in the photo. Also we have a bit of surface wear to the outer areas to the right of L3 and left of L2. Also wondering if there is any discolouration of PP, CP and PE pins?

I checked a few internet shots, and it does look like CP is supposed to be a little recessed.

I have tried the UMC which is a less tight fit than a Tesla Wall Connector but it wasn't electrically connected so didn't really reveal much more. Will be trying a PodPoint tonight with our Tesla supplied type 2 cable and a Rolec tomorrow with a tethered type 2. I think I had a similar error on a Supercharger CCS cable a few weeks ago, but didn't think much of it at the time.

Not much that you can really do to further seal this area from dirt and pretty much reliant to the fit of the charge port cover although I did try a silicon cover a couple of times but it was slightly too thick to allow the charge port to close properly so abandoned that idea.

Of course, it may be nothing as electro mechanical as the plug/socket and something else?

1636388397691.png

Last edited:
We are having a few 'charge cable not fully secured' errors of late. I just wanted to check that nothing too out of the ordinary going on with our charge port, other than a bit of dirt which I have no idea on how safe that will be to try and clean. I certainly have no intention on using any cleaning products which apparently can leave a residue and cause more problems.

I'm particularly interested in the arrowed pins. CP is very recessed within the socket, and N seems to have something to the top left of it probably at the base of the pin which didn't show up when I visually checked and only noticed in the photo. Also we have a bit of surface wear to the outer areas to the right of L3 and left of L2. Also wondering if there is any discolouration of PP, CP and PE pins?

I checked a few internet shots, and it does look like CP is supposed to be a little recessed.

I have tried the UMC which is a less tight fit than a Tesla Wall Connector but it wasn't electrically connected so didn't really reveal much more. Will be trying a PodPoint tonight with our Tesla supplied type 2 cable and a Rolec tomorrow with a tethered type 2. I think I had a similar error on a Supercharger CCS cable a few weeks ago, but didn't think much of it at the time.

Not much that you can really do to further seal this area from dirt and pretty much reliant to the fit of the charge port cover although I did try a silicon cover a couple of times but it was slightly too thick to allow the charge port to close properly so abandoned that idea.

Of course, it may be nothing as electro mechanical as the plug/socket and something else?

View attachment 730664
We’ve had those messages too and, as they first started happening just after a software update, I had presumed it was just a software “issue”. 😏

• Informative
Reactions: MrBadger
I have also recently started to get these messages. Not every time, but one came this afternoon just after plugging in, in my garage. Subjectively, it feels as if the connector is a liitle looser than it was two years ago, but that may be imagination. I will have a look in daylight to see if I can see similarities to VanillaAir_UK's photo.

• Informative
Its too dark (and wet) to check mine, but I would expect the control pins to be last to connect / first to disconnect, hence the recess. I|f you want to clean, then a cotton bud and some Isopropyl alcohol should do the trick. Since you're getting communication errors, cleaning the top two should suffice - and they don't have any voltage when disconnected

I have also recently started to get these messages. Not every time, but one came this afternoon just after plugging in, in my garage. Subjectively, it feels as if the connector is a liitle looser than it was two years ago, but that may be imagination. I will have a look in daylight to see if I can see similarities to VanillaAir_UK's photo.
I can confirm that the CP pin is shorter than the rest. Discovered by panic drive from Terra Remota winery to Barcelona service centre where a reboot fixed the cars reluctance to charge. It wasn't the pin. Lovely people at the service centre, didn't laugh, supplied cold drinks and fixed an interior trim clip issue gratis.

• Helpful
Reactions: MrBadger and init6
I’ve checked mine. It’s like yours. The ‘thing’ in N is probably reflection. It appears in mine and moves with the phone.
CP is the same as yours
Others aren't worn but clean on the right and dusty on the left.
I did get messages a few times but have masted insertion by pushing up and in.
4B0A748A-11CE-4378-AF5E-3DB05579AB03.jpeg

• Helpful
Not a great sample set, but based on recent experience of numerous errors still a semi decent test, PodPoint seems to be charging fine first time. It wasn't me plugging in so don't know the plug/socket fit, but I will get around to do a 'dry run' with the same Type 2 cable to see how it seems to fit in the socket. Our UMC plug quite a bit looser than our regular plug and iirc that our Type 2 is similar.

It wouldn't surprise me if there was more going on with this than just the electromechanical plug/socket connection. Interesting that a few others have just started to see the same issue. After initially thinking that it may be user error on behalf of swmbo (🤐), when I went to test I realised that there is something odd going on. I certainly wouldn't rule out a behaviour change with a recent software update.

I'll probably give cleaning a go with our spray gun compressor. And a bit of IPA for outer surfaces and the charge connectors plug enclosure. I don't think I will be trying to clean the electrical connections based on others comments that ours seem normal. iirc @Glan gluaisne said that cleaning the electrical pins was a bad idea so will refrain from that.

If others do see more regular occurrence of 'charge cable not fully secured' errors, please do mention.

These errors started 2 or 3 software versions ago for me. If I don’t get the plug in right first time I’ll get the notification. I think the car is a little too eager to lock the plug in place and moans if you don’t get a hole in one.

• Informative
I'll probably give cleaning a go with our spray gun compressor. And a bit of IPA for outer surfaces and the charge connectors plug enclosure. I don't think I will be trying to clean the electrical connections based on others comments that ours seem normal. iirc @Glan gluaisne said that cleaning the electrical pins was a bad idea so will refrain from that.
It'll be this post. Big difference between squirting contact cleaner - and leaving it there - and gently wiping with a cotton bud. Contact cleaner isn't the same as IPA. In another post he uses IPA to dry out a wet type2 connector

Be careful with IPA in the enclosure though. There are o-rings that could be dried out if too much IPA gets on them. Gentle wipe with a damp cloth should you need to clean the enclosure.

Sounds unlikely to be the cause of your errors, so maybe leave the contact cleaning to another day.

There might be a chance that you are barking up the wrong tree as a matter of speech. This is just an extension that comes from under the rear seat. Maybe re-sitting that plug might clear some issues.

We are having a few 'charge cable not fully secured' errors of late. I just wanted to check that nothing too out of the ordinary going on with our charge port
I've had this message twice recently and my car is only 1 month old and the charger is 6 months old!
The charger is kept in a garage so is in good condition.
I think it's a timing issue that's happened in a recent software upgrade...

• Helpful
Just following up yesterday's promise. I had a good look at my Tesla's connection with a magnifying glass and iPhone as a torch. Got a very strange look from my neighbour, but the socket seems absolutely clean and not worn. The Tesla charge point plug also was clean, with no wear marks, so I too think that it may have been a software change starting these messages, rather than anything physical.

• Helpful
.... and I thought it was just me getting more of these errors! I've never had it before when connecting the Type 2 of my home charger, and then twice in two days. I'll check the connectors (maybe not as thoroughly as with a magnifying glass ;)), but it does sound like a car software issue.

I don't think it is related, but my Ohme charger has not charged over the last two nights. I leave it set to only use the off-peak rate for 4 hours and had a surprise yesterday when the car had not charged at all. Thought I had sorted it last night, but no! I think this is the settings on the charger/charging app may have changed due to an update. It charges OK when I do it manually.

I have a SyncEV home charger, for 5 months it has worked flawlessly. Recently after plugging in the car has complained that the charger isn't working. In the end I deleted the SyncEV app from my iPhone, then re-installed. Since then it has been OK, but it is not a lot of fun getting to the car in the morning to find it hasn't charged.
Is it the car, the charger or both failing to communicate?

Last edited:
Reactions: Tinca