Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Center console now standard

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And while the red brake calipers were included in the price when I ordered my P85D, I thought they'd look a little flashy for my tastes on my blue car, so opted not to get them, even though there was no cost savings by opting out of them. Tesla had no problem doing that.

I fear, though, for people interested in ordering a car without a center console, it may not be that simple. I would worry that Tesla is now so into streamlining production, and reducing configuration options, that they may just be standardizing on including the built-in console, and because of the pieces it attaches to, etc., they just can't offer a "no-console" option, because they don't plan to keep purchasing those other parts.

For the sake of those who would want a Tesla without a console, I hope I am wrong.

Or just perhaps, they had so many orders where customers were adding the center console, that it created additional unnecessary over head between the parts/service department and the assembly line. Considering measures to cut costs, this is one quick way to eliminate having to keep adding a part that is not standardized on the primary model. Probably also the reason behind the recent discontinuation of the 85 battery and the old 5 spoke 19 inch rims.

Whitex and wdolson - why don't you like the pano roof? Doesn't it give a little more head room and also open to let air in?

I'd have to say added noise (which I notice every time I drive a loaner - my first thought is always "someone left a window cracked"). I know you can get used to the noise, but to me a quiet ride is one of the EV benefits. Another reason is the inability to close off all the light which I find distracting - even in the rain (no shortage of that in Seattle), it's just annoying to see the water flow over the roof and/or dirt accumulate - I feel like it needs a wiper or something ;) ). Lastly, I hear no pano makes the car lighter and therefore faster, and the roof is much less likely to leak (no shortage of stories here on that topic).

All my cars in the years leading up to Model S had sunroofs or moonroofs. I didn't want them but was forced to get them as part of packages which included options I did want. I always kept them closed. On rare occasion I would open them thinking it would be nice but then quickly end up closing them once I hit the highway or even earlier because I didn't want the noise, the wind, the blinding sun, and the smell of cars around me. I was happy when I realized I can get a Model S without pano, especially once I realized there is no way to completely cover the pano with a cover from the inside as I did in my other cars. I have no need for the extra headroom. As for letting more the air in, I think you can get plenty of cross winds opening all 4 windows. I do wish I could put up a roof rack, but mostly because I would like to mount my Valentine One radar detector on it since the windshield is metalized which cripples the forward radar sensitivity by 80% or more. I realize that puts me in the minority, but then so does not getting red calipers or badging on the car. I like what I like, and if I'm going to spend that kind of money on a car, I want it to come the way I like it. :)

All my cars in the years leading up to Model S had sunroofs or moonroofs. I didn't want them but was forced to get them as part of packages which included options I did want. I always kept them closed. On rare occasion I would open them thinking it would be nice but then quickly end up closing them once I hit the highway or even earlier because I didn't want the noise, the wind, the blinding sun, and the smell of cars around me.
First and foremost, I respect your choice and there is nothing wrong for you picking what works for you.

I was this post before the S. After reading about how much the pano made a difference to the feel of the "light, airy" look of the car, I got it on mine. I do not regret the choice at all. While I never open it, I enjoy the lightness. Once I got a clear ceramic tint on it, I didn't have heat sinking in (not cold enough for me to note cold soaking in) and no more glare. I enjoy it. That said, the same extra weight, potential leaks, and things to break of a sunroof exist over time and if Tesla offered a fixed glass top as a choice, I would pick that in a heartbeat. That would hopefully include the roof rack hardware too, so then you get a "middle-ground" option for those like me who never open the pano.

I've been out of town for the past week and missed the explosion of this thread. I perused it a bit, and could not find my answer. Does the new center console have a piano black trim, or is it just plain black material. From the pictures, it looks like the latter.

Now, herein lies my problem: I took delivery of my 85D just a couple of weeks ago, and pre-ordered the center console. It apparently comes in piano black. They say (said) on their website that is was not returnable "once installed". Since mine is not installed, I am wondering if I can return it and ask for one that is not piano black. Interestingly enough, the front console is no longer available in their store. There are plenty of pre-2016 owners out there who are considering one.

I've been out of town for the past week and missed the explosion of this thread. I perused it a bit, and could not find my answer. Does the new center console have a piano black trim, or is it just plain black material. From the pictures, it looks like the latter.

Yes, from the pictures it definitely looks like the part that had been piano black is just the same material as the rest of the console.

Now, herein lies my problem: I took delivery of my 85D just a couple of weeks ago, and pre-ordered the center console. It apparently comes in piano black. They say (said) on their website that is was not returnable "once installed". Since mine is not installed, I am wondering if I can return it and ask for one that is not piano black. Interestingly enough, the front console is no longer available in their store. There are plenty of pre-2016 owners out there who are considering one.

The pictures also make it look like the new console is attached in a way that it is more "part of the car" than the original center console. So while you may be able to not take delivery of the piano black center console you ordered, unless you believe Tesla is about to offer the new console as a stand-alone option on older models, you'd be left with no console at all.

I spoke with TM today. They pulled the old center console off the store, and will be making the new center console available "in the coming weeks". They refunded my money since they didn't fulfill the order yet. They said that pricing of the new console is currently not known.

Update on the center console I ordered.

Earlier this week we finalized a new front center console design for Model S. This update will become the new standard for all Model S builds. The integrated design, trimmed in black with chrome accents, features:
  • Covered storage with improved sliding cover and removable dividers for custom layout
  • Flip-up lid with rubber grips and a pass-through to allow installation of a phone dock kit (purchased separately)
  • Retractable rear cup holders that can accommodate up to two cups

The Model S Integrated Console will be made available for purchase through the Tesla Gear site and Service Center locations in the weeks to come. As a current order holder for the first generation Premium Front Console, we would like to offer you an exclusive reservation opportunity. If you wish to purchase the integrated console, this reservation will provide you priority delivery upon parts availability. The price for the new console will be $1250 USD. Shipping and installation are complimentary.

When signing up, please include your VIN or vehicle reservation number. When parts are received by your preferred Service Center, a Service Concierge will contact you to schedule the installation appointment. Payment for the integrated console will be accepted through your Service Center following the installation.

If you would like to keep your original order for the Premium Front Console, it will be sent to your preferred Service Center and a Service Concierge will contact you to schedule the installation appointment after it is received.

At your earliest convenience, please reply to [email protected] to indicate which console you would prefer to move forward with. This exclusive offer for order priority of the Model S Integrated Console will end on 4/15/2016. After this date, orders for the integrated console will be placed in the normal queue.

When I purchased my 85D the center console was not available. I ordered one and it took about 2 months for delivery and installation. While I got used to the open yacht floor, I really like the look and functionality of the console. I thought it was expensive at $650, so $1250 seems really excessive for the new one, especially without the phone/USB ports included.