Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Center Screen Controls - Burn In

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SabrToothSqrl

Dec 5, 2014
PA
So.. I hope I'm wrong here, but it sure looks like the icons along the bottom of my screen are now burned into it. Something I didn't think was possible w/LCD...

Anyone else seen this? Anyone had the screen replaced? I'm under warranty until March 2019.

I've not seen that. Had my original screen replaced for the doubles/delamination last year (out of warranty). If I were you, I'd go as close to your warranty expiration as possible before replacement since the problem doesn't seem that bad.
what were you charged for the screen? I am sure I will need to replace mine at some point if they aren't going to do a recall....which they should. delamination is a defect that should not be occurring. if I lived in a hot climate It probably would have happened sooner vs when my car was sitting in the hot sun at service!

what were you charged for the screen?

Paid $983 for the part out of waranty. It used to be much more expensive when they were replacing the whole unit including the MCU. They good willed the labor after I pointed out that there seemed to be a high failure rate of this part in 3-4 year old Teslas. The new screen had a defect which they replaced for free a few months later at the time my MCU died suddenly which I paid to replace.

Good discussion here:
Touchscreen: Mositure/Leak?

and here:
bubbles on touchscreen

• Informative
Reactions: Zextraterrestrial
Screen burn-in affects CRTs and AMOLED displays, not LCD which we have in Teslas. LCDs can suffer from temporary image retention, but that should go away on its own.

@SabrToothSqrl

Need to disagree, LCDs can have image retention to the point of effectively being burn in due to static images. My Roku3 box Netflix menu has been embedded in my TV for 10 months.

People have restored screen by displaying a pure white image for a long time, or by using a screensaver that simulates black/ white static. Not sure if that is possible with the drawing app/ browser on the center screen (some report the fix time needs to be equal to the burn in time)

Background:
LCDs use an AC drive signal to each pixel to prevent impurities in the fluid from collecting. However, the drive signal still has a slight DC offset. If the same thing is always displayed, it will cause a change in that pixel.