Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMO Adapter (coming this winter)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got this update from Tesla today... Funny thing was I meet a Supercharger Tech day before yesterday and he said they should be shipping now...

The CHAdeMO adapter is not available. The latest I heard is that the adapter will more likely be ready “this winter” and that could mean the end of January or later.

We will keep you updated.

Got this update from Tesla today... Funny thing was I meet a Supercharger Tech day before yesterday and he said they should be shipping now...

The CHAdeMO adapter is not available. The latest I heard is that the adapter will more likely be ready “this winter” and that could mean the end of January or later.

We will keep you updated.

Winter does not end until March 19th...

OpenEVSE http://openevse-store.myshopify.com/ is a full EVSE that can be built for $~300. This is an adapter. I'm not good with where patent infringement, if any, comes in, but the J1772 standard being available is what has saved a lot of J1772 L2 users some coin. Mapping between CHademo and Tesla is apt to have fewer users, but shouldn't be hard at all. Might want to stick with fat wire, though :tongue:

I just helped my friend place an order last night and when he logged into My Tesla to go over the design again just in case we noticed that it now listed a load of extra accessories that can be ordered with the car (not visible on standard design page, only once you place the order). The things that are available there is a Type-II to Type-II cable (€450) and CHAdeMO adapter (€800) amongst other things. So now you CAN buy a Type-II cable from Tesla and they officially list CHAdeMO adapter for purchase indicating that it may well be available once his car delivers (estimated delivery indicated at late April 2014).

The EU version is also capable of doing 80A single phase OR 32A 3-phase.

It think it uses some relais to configure the chargers parallel on the same phase instead of spreading them out over all three phases.

No relays. You have to do the special connection before the car. The blue 32A UMC adapter connects one wire of the single phase input to N and the other wire to L1,L2 and L3.

Each charger in the car (main and twin) consists of 3 separate 16A chargers. If you have the single charger, the UMC spreads the 32A input over the three sub-chargers, each getting 10,67A.

If you connect a car without the twin-charger to a 32A single phase Type 2 outlet you'll only get 16A (well, 13A at the moment as the firmware is throttling each sub-charger down to 13A max). To get 32A single phase from a Type 2 you'll need the twin-charger since the single-phase Type 2 charging points only suppy current on N and L1, leaving L2 and L3 not connected.

This means that you can only get for example 63A single phase by either building you own charging cable (using the 63A mainpine controller and a three-phase 63A Type 2 cable) or waiting for Teslas HPWC.

Also the car knows when it's receiving 3 single phase inputs or a true 3-phase input. When getting 3-phase it will display the "3" before the amp draw/rating.

No relays. You have to do the special connection before the car. The blue 32A UMC adapter connects one wire of the single phase input to N and the other wire to L1,L2 and L3.

Each charger in the car (main and twin) consists of 3 separate 16A chargers. If you have the single charger, the UMC spreads the 32A input over the three sub-chargers, each getting 10,67A.

If you connect a car without the twin-charger to a 32A single phase Type 2 outlet you'll only get 16A (well, 13A at the moment as the firmware is throttling each sub-charger down to 13A max). To get 32A single phase from a Type 2 you'll need the twin-charger since the single-phase Type 2 charging points only suppy current on N and L1, leaving L2 and L3 not connected.

This means that you can only get for example 63A single phase by either building you own charging cable (using the 63A mainpine controller and a three-phase 63A Type 2 cable) or waiting for Teslas HPWC.

Also the car knows when it's receiving 3 single phase inputs or a true 3-phase input. When getting 3-phase it will display the "3" before the amp draw/rating.
Kind of offtopic, but the Dutch website of Tesla says 3-phase 32A or 80A 1-phase for the European model.

Kind of offtopic, but the Dutch website of Tesla says 3-phase 32A or 80A 1-phase for the European model.

Yup, but you'll only get it with the forthcomping HPWC or a customized third party one. Doesn't matter anyway as there will be no public single phase charging points above 32A.

A company named Salto has delivered a lot of single phase 32A charging points to private Tesla customers in Norway. They quickly found out that cars with single chargers would only charge at 13A from these. After a lot of conversations with Tesla staff they eventually found out that they had to connect L1 and L2 on the Type 2 socket in the box, instead of leaving L2 not connected to anything. After that the charging rate went up to 26A. Had they connected L3 as well they would have gotten 32A.

I just helped my friend place an order last night.... The things that are available there is a Type-II to Type-II cable (€450)

Mario, make him check the cable length. A 5m Type 2 cable is near to useless when pulling into a parking spot and the type 2 charging station is near the curb. You need approx 7m in that case. Some drivers use a short (e.g. 2,5m) and a long cable for best "cable experience." :wink:

Mario, make him check the cable length. A 5m Type 2 cable is near to useless when pulling into a parking spot and the type 2 charging station is near the curb. You need approx 7m in that case. Some drivers use a short (e.g. 2,5m) and a long cable for best "cable experience." :wink:

Yeah, the cable had no information on length. I personally ordered 6m cable from LuckyLuke here, but haven't needed to test it yet ;) Btw has anyone tried extending the mobile adapter reach by plugging the Type-II to Type-II cable in between? If the cable is passive it could work, but if it's got electronics in it might be detected as extension cord or what not. It would be interesting as the UMC isn't the longest cable out there and being able to just add 6m to it would be lovely.

Extending type 2 cables is not recommended. Or as we say in Germany verboten. Two reasons:

1. The EVSE figures out what the cable can swallow by reading a resistor between PE and PP

resistance PP-PE1500 Ω680 Ω220 Ω100 Ω
current capacity 13 A20 A32 A63 A
wire cross section
1,5 mm²2,5 mm²6 mm²16 mm²

Source: IEC 62196 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So the EVSE cannot compute a current capacity from the resistor values of two cables in series. BTW I don't know if the 2nd resistor would be in parallel to the 1st or not detected by the EVSE at all. The result could be too high current.

2. When you connect two type 2 cable plugs to each other there is no mechanical lock engaged. Since the connectors require little force to pull out, you could break a life circuit at 3x32A. Considerable arcing would result.

A company named Salto has delivered a lot of single phase 32A charging points to private Tesla customers in Norway. They quickly found out that cars with single chargers would only charge at 13A from these. After a lot of conversations with Tesla staff they eventually found out that they had to connect L1 and L2 on the Type 2 socket in the box, instead of leaving L2 not connected to anything. After that the charging rate went up to 26A. Had they connected L3 as well they would have gotten 32A.

So are you saying that a special Type 2 to Type 2 cable where L1 upstream is connected to L1, L2 and L3 downstream is needed in order to use a public charging post at full current?

Extending type 2 cables is not recommended. Or as we say in Germany verboten. Two reasons:

1. The EVSE figures out what the cable can swallow by reading a resistor between PE and PP

resistance PP-PE1500 Ω680 Ω220 Ω100 Ω
current capacity13 A20 A32 A63 A
wire cross section1,5 mm²2,5 mm²6 mm²16 mm²
Source: IEC 62196 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So the EVSE cannot compute a current capacity from the resistor values of two cables in series. BTW I don't know if the 2nd resistor would be in parallel to the 1st or not detected by the EVSE at all. The result could be too high current.

2. When you connect two type 2 cable plugs to each other there is no mechanical lock engaged. Since the connectors require little force to pull out, you could break a life circuit at 3x32A. Considerable arcing would result.

All valid points. The use case I had in mind was extending the UMC for use from standard wall plug i.e. UMC would be plugged to 220V 13A circuit and the Type-II cable would be 3x32A capable, no issues with too high current could occur in this case and even unplugging would not be an issue as 1x13A isn't that much :) Of course I'd not do the daisy chain for 3x32A or even probably for 3x16A :)

All valid points. The use case I had in mind was extending the UMC for use from standard wall plug i.e. UMC would be plugged to 220V 13A circuit and the Type-II cable would be 3x32A capable, no issues with too high current could occur in this case and even unplugging would not be an issue as 1x13A isn't that much :) Of course I'd not do the daisy chain for 3x32A or even probably for 3x16A :)

Isn't the plug designed to interrupt the proximity pins first when un-plugging? That would tell the EVSE to power down before the power contacts are broken.