Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMO Adapter (coming this winter)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
have you personally had issues?

An event at a City of Plano facility a couple of months ago had a non-working Blink. It didn't affect me, but the Leaf owner who attended couldn't charge and had to look elsewhere. He didn't have enough range to make it back home so it was kind of important to find a working EVSE.

have you personally had issues? When I did a 1000 mile trip in my Roadster I used Blink a lot and they all worked. I do think they are trying and have made improvements.

I was in your area a few months ago and my granddaughter wanted to stop at Cracker Barrell. Two different CBs Blink chargers did not work. Fortunately I was not desperate for a charge. I have also tried the one at CB headquarters in Lebanon and it worked the first time but not the second. Also at two others I found them to be derated? Only permitted charging at 11mph. I have tried to stop there to support the infrastructure although I have never really needed the charge but it now doesn't seem worth it. Perhaps some of the Blink problems are bankruptcy related but I know I m not going to use them at .49 per Kw. BTW I am in greeneville frequently. Lets talk.

Prior to the sale they dropped all Commercial Blink units to 17amps unless the had been retrofitted with new J1772 cables. Currently the new owner has not provided public information regarding replacing the cables. The company I work with is offering owners (after 12/31/13 they are owned) replacement cables and then the units can be enabled to 30amps. After enabling them to 30amps the (then owner) can take the unit offline from the Blink Network and can be free.

The point of failure of the Blink Commercial Unit is the display. The real trick is by pass the display. This can be done if the (then owner) wants to not charge any fees and go offline.

When the adapter was first posted at the store, didn't it say available winter, or something similar? Now it says 'Available Soon'
That could be big trouble, as the center console has been 'Available Soon' for quite a long time.

I want this adapter because I currently have no place to plug in my car over night (I live in an apartment in NW Portland). I emailed Tesla to get on the list for the adapter and was told yesterday that they haven;t even started production of the adapter which is a huge disappointment. My guess it will be ready in Jan or late feb.

I want this adapter because I currently have no place to plug in my car over night (I live in an apartment in NW Portland). I emailed Tesla to get on the list for the adapter and was told yesterday that they haven;t even started production of the adapter which is a huge disappointment. My guess it will be ready in Jan or late feb.

wow, that is a bummer! Then again, I am very happy that is is coming, happy that it isn't some huge box you lay on the ground with a cord like some were talking, also very happy it's not multiple thou$ands.

It still is disappointing ... I remember in July promises of this year, then heard of Feb-March. Now Q3 '14 is quite a ways away...
I find this quite puzzling. So the question is, how well connected is the source of the statement Q3/14. We have had in the past Tesla people make a variety of statements that weren't backed up by the factory.
Given that Elon committed to Japan roll-out in Q1/14 and Japan without CHAdeMO adapter seems foolish... why wouldn't be there a CHAdeMO adapter for Europe as well. Or will the cars in Japan have a third, yet again different charge port?
Yes, we've had Tesla slip some things. Ok, almost everything :) -- but slipping this by a year seems really weird. And announcing now that they'll slip it by a year seems even more weird.

The adapter is being offered in the UK as an £850 (ouch) option when you finalise your design. I've added one to my order.

While this doesn't confirm anything, it suggests that they are planning for an EU variant to be ready for the first UK deliveries in March.

As a side note: It looks heavy, so I hope it is secure, as I would hate to come back to my car after a charging stop to find it has fallen out, or worse, been taken.

The adapter is being offered in the UK as an £850 (ouch) option when you finalise your design. I've added one to my order.

While this doesn't confirm anything, it suggests that they are planning for an EU variant to be ready for the first UK deliveries in March.

As a side note: It looks heavy, so I hope it is secure, as I would hate to come back to my car after a charging stop to find it has fallen out, or worse, been taken.

The port locks the cable to port (i.e. adapter) and the CHAdeMO protocol locks the CHAdeMO port to the adapter before any power is transferred. Therefore while charging happens all connections are locked. After the charging ends the CHAdeMO part may unlock, but the car will keep the port locked as far as I know. And the locking pins should be powerful enough to hold the adapter easily without breaking. Look at the pics on store.teslamotors.com

will ask ETA from them too

Tesla answered, but not too helpful.

I really don’t have any information on the release of the European version, other than that it will be after the North American version. The North American CHAdeMO is targeted for a release by the end of the year, with widespread availability early next year.