Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMO Adapter (coming this winter)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla answered, but not too helpful.
I really don’t have any information on the release of the European version, other than that it will be after the North American version. The North American CHAdeMO is targeted for a release by the end of the year, with widespread availability early next year.
OK, this is speculating wildly, but based on the things that we know and based on what is being said here...
  • in North America by December 54th (sorry, couldn't resist) or so in small quantities
  • better availability around end of Q1
  • at the same time (March?) shipments to Japan
  • they can string people there along for no more than a month or two until CHAdeMO is available (and that seems high - I think CHAdeMO is an absolute must have in Japan)

Give it the same two months or so until volume is available, so I'd guess Europe will see them around May / June of next year?

I repeat, wild speculation, just trying to put a story around the assumed dates that we have heard and some market context.

chad.jpg

Picture from Japan car show - it does exist!

I'm just surprised that Tesla went with the Type 2 connector in Japan instead of the Model S (TSL02) connector they're using in the US, given the similarities in their electrical infrastructure. Is the original Model S connector getting any use outside of the US and Canada?

I'm just surprised that Tesla went with the Type 2 connector in Japan instead of the Model S (TSL02) connector they're using in the US, given the similarities in their electrical infrastructure. Is the original Model S connector getting any use outside of the US and Canada?
Maybe the Japanese regulations require either a Type 1 or Type 2 inlet and don't allow non-standard inlets?

The Type 2 connector is superior to the Type 1 connector, so it's a good thing they went with Type 2 :) It would only require a Type 1 -> Type 2 adapter on the vehicle side for stations with fixed cables. (Which is almost all of them).

Do the Euro-spec onboard chargers work fine for single-phase L2 charging? I mean, can it charge as fast as a US spec car (80A) using single phase? I don't know much about it. But as long as cars with the type 2 inlet are as capable as US-spec cars, I guess it doesn't matter much. Neither version has a J1772 inlet, so an adapter is required with either version. It's just a clunkier connector.

Do the Euro-spec onboard chargers work fine for single-phase L2 charging? I mean, can it charge as fast as a US spec car (80A) using single phase? I don't know much about it. But as long as cars with the type 2 inlet are as capable as US-spec cars, I guess it doesn't matter much. Neither version has a J1772 inlet, so an adapter is required with either version. It's just a clunkier connector.
The EU version is also capable of doing 80A single phase OR 32A 3-phase.

It think it uses some relais to configure the chargers parallel on the same phase instead of spreading them out over all three phases.