Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMO adapter wait frustration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
CHAdeMO adapters are included with every TESLA Model S purchase in Japan. I asked the same exact question about the weight to the DS. Response was they have been testing these adapters for some time now and no issues with the connectors to date and the adaptor is kind of heavy. Will update once I have my car in hand.....Approx. Dec 22nd...

So when is the big export from Japan to Europe starting? I wonder if the adapter works on a EU car. I'd even pay the shipping costs from Japan just to find out :)

So when is the big export from Japan to Europe starting? I wonder if the adapter works on a EU car. I'd even pay the shipping costs from Japan just to find out :)

As much as I'd like to help after speaking with current owners here in Japan, TESLA treats this product like a controlled substance. Currently spares are not available...... And the power connectors here in Japan are the same as in the US.

Bonnie, can you please share your experience with charging the MS at CHAdeMO stations in general? Without violating any NDA, of course.
Given the density of those stations around town both in NorCal and SoCal, am going to get the adapter but, would prefer a vote of confidence from you.

"***NOTE: A vehicle software update must be performed at the service center if Supercharging is not enabled." Does this mean that the CHAdeMO adapter can be enabled without enabling the Supercharger? I have a 40/60, so would have to upgrade to a 60 to get supercharger capability. I also understand that the Supercharger speed is much reduced on a 60 (Bjorn tested it at half the speed of an 85). The CHAdeMO would thus give me close to Supercharger speed at a small fraction of the supercharger/60 upgrade cost if it can be enabled independently. I believe this is unlikely, but will look into it further.

"***NOTE: A vehicle software update must be performed at the service center if Supercharging is not enabled." Does this mean that the CHAdeMO adapter can be enabled without enabling the Supercharger? I have a 40/60, so would have to upgrade to a 60 to get supercharger capability. I also understand that the Supercharger speed is much reduced on a 60 (Bjorn tested it at half the speed of an 85). The CHAdeMO would thus give me close to Supercharger speed at a small fraction of the supercharger/60 upgrade cost if it can be enabled independently. I believe this is unlikely, but will look into it further.
In a request from Bjorn, I will be Supercharging my car from Charge now to 100% within the next week or so. His speeds were extremely slow compared to what I charge with on my 60. I do not know if it's a European car limitation only at this point, but he could not get over 90kW on the 60 loaner he got, I easily hit 105 and sustain it for quite a while. The last time I timed it, my charge time from 0-100% was only about 20 minutes more then a 85kW pack.

Yeah, I'm a newbie. :) So it's been "coming soon" for over a year? Yikes! I'm in San Diego, and the nearest supercharger is in San Juan Capistrano. Tesla has plans apparently to build one in the area, but nothing on the immediate horizon. There is a DC charger close by, which is why I want (need) the adapter. I take delivery of my MS this month and have no rapid charging option, because I live in a condo building that doesn't have the electrical capacity to accommodate EV charging stations.

Yeah, I'm a newbie. :) So it's been "coming soon" for over a year? Yikes! I'm in San Diego, and the nearest supercharger is in San Juan Capistrano. Tesla has plans apparently to build one in the area, but nothing on the immediate horizon. There is a DC charger close by, which is why I want (need) the adapter. I take delivery of my MS this month and have no rapid charging option, because I live in a condo building that doesn't have the electrical capacity to accommodate EV charging stations.

Don't believe them. You have electric ovens in the building, right? They generally use NEMA 14-50 outlets with 10 kW available (the only EV that can benefit from more than that is a Model S with the optional dual chargers,) and the typical person cooking a turkey dinner for Thanksgiving uses far more electricity then the typical electric car commuter.

The condo might not want to support an EV charging station, or might not have enough capacity routed to the garage, but not having enough capacity overall is highly unlikely.
Walter

I have a monitor. My Wolf peaked at 5 kw and used 8 kwh for a turkey. The fact is they already have the ovens and they may not have capacity to add anything - just like they may not have capacity to add another oven.

Point is a little moot. In CA, everyone uses NG for anything they can - including usually ovens. So they may not have electric ovens in the building.

I have a monitor. My Wolf peaked at 5 kw and used 8 kwh for a turkey. The fact is they already have the ovens and they may not have capacity to add anything - just like they may not have capacity to add another oven.

Point is a little moot. In CA, everyone uses NG for anything they can - including usually ovens. So they may not have electric ovens in the building.

Huh. I would have expected it to use more than that.

You ordered a Model S without knowing you had a convenient way to charge it?

I haven't seen this here yet but according to InsideEVs the CHAdeMO adapters are now shipping:

Tesla Now Shipping Model S CHAdeMO Adapter

However, the comments question if that's really true and some suspect the picture might be one of the chargers that bonnie got borrowed for the folks in Tennessee.

I'm not going to jump to any conclusions but commenters have a tendency to jump to the conclusion that things aren't happening when they really are (e.g. the first delivery with Autopilot sensors was called a fake). So it could be real or it could be not shipping yet, but either way thought I'd share.

Edit: Looks like this was discussed over here:
CHAdeMO adapter shipping?!?! (Unconfirmed)