Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMO adapter wait frustration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well in Estonia we have three packages you can take:

1) No monthly fee, fee per charge is 4.5€ and CHAdeMO is limited to 1h (AC @ 22kW is limited to 4h)
2) 10€ / month and per charge 2.5€ fee
3) 30€ / month includes free 150kWh of power with no session fees and after that usual session limits apply with 1.2€ per session fee

And the network is extensive. I even did the math that if I charged at least 360kWh on that network, then on the third package it'd be cheaper than charging at home, just inconvenient unless you live next to one of the chargers ;)

Where do you find the information about 4 hour limits on AC charging? Being in Estonia right now, with a single charger and still waiting for the CHAdeMO adaptor (got on the waitlist in Jan) it's a quite significant difference if I can charge for four hours for 4.5 EUR rather than only one hour.
http://elmo.ee/pricing/ only talks about 60 min limits.

Where do you find the information about 4 hour limits on AC charging? Being in Estonia right now, with a single charger and still waiting for the CHAdeMO adaptor (got on the waitlist in Jan) it's a quite significant difference if I can charge for four hours for 4.5 EUR rather than only one hour.
http://elmo.ee/pricing/ only talks about 60 min limits.

Oh fun, where you at? :) Anyway, the information there is for CHAdeMO only, the AC part was normally 2h (i.e. twice the CHAdeMO), but they started to roll them to 4h about a year ago. So at least 2h for sure on AC and in many if not all stations it's now 4h. But you need an access card :)

Got a mysterious box in the mail today and it turned out to be my adapter. I honestly had no idea what it was since it has been almost three weeks since I ordered and haven't been invoiced yet or anything. There was an audible "Oh yeah..." when I opened the box. Now I just need to find somewhere to store it for 5 months...

I also had a delay in shipping so I inquired about it. Here's the response I received:

Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 10:18 AM

Hello Marc,

Thank you for contacting Tesla Motors. We have been informed that as of yesterday, we are experiencing a delay shipping out the latest batch of CHAdeMO Adapters. We hope to resume shipping next week. Unfortunately, we do not have any further information to provide at this time and we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

To further apologize for the delay, we have issued a refund for the shipping fees associated with your order.

Regards,
Krista

http://shop.teslamotors.com

p 510.896.6417 | e [email protected]

Just got an email update stating my CHAdeMO adapter just shipped (again) today after last week's false start. Let's see if it goes through properly this time and actually gets shipped.

I was excited to try out my new CHAdeMO adapter on my drive into the Detroit suburbs tonight. Stopped at the Nissan Tech Center. Plugged in using the appropriate procedure but could not charge. The charger kept kicking off and giving an error saying something about a poor electrical connection or something similar. I plugged and unplugged multiple times without any luck. It would act at first like it was going to charge. The Telsa port would pulse green and the green charging light was on the actual charger. Then within a few seconds the charger would click and show the red error light on the charger box. Very frustrating. Any suggestions? Is it a charger issue or is it possible that my adapter itself has an issue. A few pics of the charger is below.
image.jpg

image.jpg

I've never used one of those. All the ones I've charged at have the (I guess) old style weird squeeze handle. How do you operate the yellow button? Connect and then push?
No squeeze trigger, just the yellow button, which works pretty much similar to the way a J1772 works. The handle basically locks the adapter to it automatically when you push the two together and then you use the yellow button to release the adapter from the handle when you are done charging.

I was excited to try out my new CHAdeMO adapter on my drive into the Detroit suburbs tonight. Stopped at the Nissan Tech Center. Plugged in using the appropriate procedure but could not charge. The charger kept kicking off and giving an error saying something about a poor electrical connection or something similar. I plugged and unplugged multiple times without any luck. It would act at first like it was going to charge. The Telsa port would pulse green and the green charging light was on the actual charger. Then within a few seconds the charger would click and show the red error light on the charger box. Very frustrating. Any suggestions? Is it a charger issue or is it possible that my adapter itself has an issue. A few pics of the charger is below.
View attachment 75331
View attachment 75330

Hi, were you able to charge even a little bit? If so it looks like a very common, dreaded incompatibility issue with Nissan. In my experience old Yazaki handle and grey button tend to have higher compatibility than yellow button.

Hi, were you able to charge even a little bit? If so it looks like a very common, dreaded incompatibility issue with Nissan. In my experience old Yazaki handle and grey button tend to have higher compatibility than yellow button.
I was unable to charge at all. The car screen showed zero charging occurring before the charger itself faulted out with an error. I tried again today on my trip back home and had exactly the same issue occur. I called Tesla and asked if they could have the engineers pull my car's logs and see if they could determine if it is a problem with the car (doubtful), the adapter (possible), or the charging station itself (likely IMHO).

I was unable to charge at all. The car screen showed zero charging occurring before the charger itself faulted out with an error. I tried again today on my trip back home and had exactly the same issue occur. I called Tesla and asked if they could have the engineers pull my car's logs and see if they could determine if it is a problem with the car (doubtful), the adapter (possible), or the charging station itself (likely IMHO).

Thanks for the info, that's what I never experienced with Nissan chargers... Could be that the station was broken. Typically, with those incompatible stations, they'd let you charge at least 30 seconds, then stop charging. In some cases the charge lasts close to 30 minutes before failing.

Got my car yesterday. Went straight to the nearby CHAdeMO station (ABB Terra combo CHAdeMO and CCS). Got around 42KW but close to taper zone so I could not test the full potential of the charger (rated to 50KW)

View attachment 75485
That's right at what I got (50kW) when I used the CHAdeMO a couple days ago. Was pretty happy with that.
IMG_1282.JPG

I requested Nov 2014, received email to order 3 weeks ago... My experience with the adapter is my max is 45kw based on numbers from Tesla dash... On the charger, it reads higher numbers if charge and energy delivered consistently..