Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMO adapter wait frustration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, what is really crazy is owning a BMW i3 and only being able to fast charge at a few CCS chargers, even though they have chademo versions for Japan. Once again, Tesla leads the way (no other car supports more than one DC charge standard).

No, what is really crazy is owning a BMW i3 and only being able to fast charge at a few CCS chargers, even though they have chademo versions for Japan. Once again, Tesla leads the way (no other car supports more than one DC charge standard).
The thing that boggles the mind is that none of the other vendors apparently are considering switching to the Tesla plug - which would give them access to Tesla chargers, J1772, and CHAdeMO. But I guess they all consider it a strategic mistake to "endorse" anything Tesla...
Still, very disappointing.
CHAdeMO adapter still shows "coming soon". Has anyone who got on the waitlist after Mar 18 received "the email", yet?

Tesla's DC charging solution is pretty damn good. I mean, in a connector that is smaller than a J1772 connector they have DC charging that is over 2x as fast as the CHAdeMO ridiculously huge connector as well as AC charging. One port. Why has no one else done this?!

The thing that boggles the mind is that none of the other vendors apparently are considering switching to the Tesla plug - which would give them access to Tesla chargers, J1772, and CHAdeMO. But I guess they all consider it a strategic mistake to "endorse" anything Tesla...

This partly the case, they don't want to credit Tesla with anything.

The other thing is that OEMs think and move very slowly. They won't adopt a standard that hasn't been in development for at least 10 years.

Thus, we get CHAdeMO and CCS, the very best the 1980's have to offer. :rolleyes:

Tesla's DC charging solution is pretty damn good. I mean, in a connector that is smaller than a J1772 connector they have DC charging that is over 2x as fast as the CHAdeMO ridiculously huge connector as well as AC charging. One port. Why has no one else done this?!

Because creating a meaningful "standard" that involves multiple car manufacturers, charging station manufacturers, energy providers, the SAE, etc. and that doesn't reek of compromise is nearly impossible.

Which is why Tesla went their own way, and while on the face of seemed like a bad idea at the time, it has proven by others in similar situations (e.g. Apple) to be the best solution for their customers.

Sidebar question on CHAdeMO charging: is it as "safe" for the battery pack as Supercharging? The very few times I have used a CHAdeMO, I have not noticed the same taper/rampdown effect. Is that because the CHAdeMO is only 50kW max to begin with?
Well, the car communicates with the charger how much current it wants. Because of the slower charge at medium SOC levels it is possible that CHAdeMO gives a higher current longer into the charge (we had this long discussion about people limited to 60kW on some superchargers - they also reported higher currents at higher SOCs). But I definitely have seen the CHAdeMO taper past 70% or so - my guess is it's just a different profile. I can't see why it would be less 'safe' as it's the same electronics managing the charging process. And given the 12 months of beta testing they had my guess is this has been looked into in great detail.

Sidebar question on CHAdeMO charging: is it as "safe" for the battery pack as Supercharging? The very few times I have used a CHAdeMO, I have not noticed the same taper/rampdown effect. Is that because the CHAdeMO is only 50kW max to begin with?

Chademo is supposed to be 62.5 Kw max. The manufacturers have determined that 50 Kw is enough.

A lot of the supercharger taper is due to pack heating. At 40-50kW the pack isn't going to heat 1/4 as much as it does at 100-120kW. 50kW is actually still under the 0.7C rate that most lithium-ion cells are charged at without liquid cooling.

Don't they get this by taking the max current and voltage of the system, 125A * 500V = 62.5kW, even though you never see both of those at the same time? Real systems see ~125A *400V max = 50kW.

Of course if you did that with the superchargers, they would be ~166kW...

Chademo is supposed to be 62.5 Kw max. The manufacturers have determined that 50 Kw is enough.

Last edited: