Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMO adapter wait frustration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So about 120mph charge rate during the half hour, starting near 50% SoC. Not bad, but not great (only 2x the rate I get at home on my HPWC).

I received my adapter today (nice packaging btw) and managed to test it out. Unfortunately, I could only manage to burn myself down to 55% SOC on my S60 prior to reaching the local Nissan dealer with a free-to-use ABB Chademo unit. I plugged exactly in the sequence the nice instructions that came with the adapter suggested. Worked flawlessly. I was drawing about 35kW (337V@105A) initially, and it stayed essentially between 35kW and 32kW the whole way to my set charge limit of 80% SOC. I didn't realize it had hit that limit, so i lost track of time (while talking to a Leaf-owning Nissan sales guy who was interested the Tesla). But I think it added about 52 mi in 27 min. I'm happy with that.

It could just be that the list is shrinking as people are invited to purchase, so that two days ago when Morristhecat was #120, you were at >120, and now you've both moved up.

I asked the Tesla person whether the 120 position was a relative position or an absolute position and she told me that I was number 120 from when the list was created, and that emails had been sent to about 50 of the people on that list, leaving me at about position 70 now.

IMG_5159.JPG

My adapter arrived today. Just need to run the battery down so I can test it out...

I received mine today as well. it's #477.

It's a quite a bit heavier than I expected.

I tested it at a a nearby ngr EVgo ABB dual CHAdeMO/CSS charger (Carlsbad Outlet Mall).

I was only down to 45% before starting (I skipped charging last night, but my commute is just not that long)

It started charging at around 32kW, but moved up and hoovered around 37-38kW fairly quickly. I Charged for a little over 20 minutes with no problems. The adapter cable was slightly warm to the touch, but not really hot.

View attachment 71835

This looks a lot like the ngr EVgo ABB dual CHAdeMO/CSS charger is limited to 100A. That would correspond to your kW numbers and the battery Voltages that I have seen. Did you notice if the current stayed at 100 Amps for most of the charging?

As many CHAdeMO chargers here in Japan derated to 107A, some work at 125A continuously over one hour. I usually charge at highway service plazas for one hour and 15 minutes. In my experience even the charger is 125A spec, some chargers might lower the power to 107A, maybe because the charger doesn't know Tesla. I've seen this behavior at least once.

This looks a lot like the ngr EVgo ABB dual CHAdeMO/CSS charger is limited to 100A. That would correspond to your kW numbers and the battery Voltages that I have seen. Did you notice if the current stayed at 100 Amps for most of the charging?

It dropped below 100A from time to time, but not for too long. I'm not sure why, since there was no one else charging. It would be interesting to see what happens if some one else was using the other CHAdeMO charger, or the shared CSS charger.

The label says 125A, but I never saw anything over 100A. I will try again some time when I have the battery at a lower stating point, to see it it goes any higher.

label.jpg

It dropped below 100A from time to time, but not for too long. I'm not sure why, since there was no one else charging. It would be interesting to see what happens if some one else was using the other CHAdeMO charger, or the shared CSS charger.

The label says 125A, but I never saw anything over 100A. I will try again some time when I have the battery at a lower stating point, to see it it goes any higher.

Hmmm... I wonder if the 100 Amp limit if caused by the ABB CHAdeMO charger or if the Tesla adapter throttles back to 100 Amps to avoid stressing CHAdeMO chargers.

Those who have your CHAdeMO adapters, please report your charging experiences. Interesting data are Volts, Amps, SoC, CHAdeMO make/model, Tesla battery size.

First CHAdeMO adapter arrived in Estonia and today the owner tested it with one of the 163 ABB stations he visited. The charger pulled for over an hour around 40kW (355V 110A was what I saw on the pic he posted).

- - - Updated - - -

Just wanted to add that mist chargers are limited to 35-40kW by utility contracts, the chargers are otherwise rates to 50kW I think.

Just got this from ChargePoint via e-mail. Maybe Tesla will have to develop a Combo Plug adapter too :smile:

ChargePoint has teamed up with BMW and Volkswagen to create express charging corridors along heavily-traveled routes on the East and West Coasts. We’ve set a goal of installing nearly 100 DC fast chargers by the end of this year.

We already offer you EV charging at home, at work, around town and out of town. And with our DC fast charging initiatives, you can go farther with your EV.

The express charging corridors will be along the most heavily populated and trafficked regions on Interstate 95 on the east coast from Boston to D.C., and on the west coast covering and connecting the metro areas of Portland, San Francisco, Los Angeles and San Diego. These corridors will provide EV drivers with the freedom to go farther and enjoy all the benefits of driving an EV over long distances.

The stations will be publicly available to all drivers and can be accessed with your ChargePoint card or with the mobile app.

All the fast chargers will have the SAE Combo connector used by both BMW and Volkswagen, and many will also have CHAdeMO connectors. We’ll often co-locate the DC fast chargers with Level 2 ChargePoint stations which can charge all EVs.

I forget when I joined the waitlist. I may look it up later for completeness.
Edit: I joined the waitlist for both CHAdeMO and Premium Center Console on Oct10/2013. (I have since chosen not to get the center console for my Sig.)

I was contacted via e-mail the morning of Feb4/2015 (Wed) and ordered within hours, with quick confirmation of my order via e-mail.
I received a follow-up e-mail on Feb5/2015 (Thu) with a FedEx tracking number and an ETA of Feb9 (Mon).
The adapter arrived on Feb9/2015 (Mon) in the early afternoon.
Evening of Feb9/2015 (Mon) I confirmed a peak charging rate of 46 kW at the AeroVironment charger* in Skykomish, WA.

For those (like me) that are new to CHAdeMO usage, with the Tesla adapter it's very important to use the gigantic trigger to lock in the adapter before beginning the charging process. Otherwise the adapter and CHAdeMO connector [1] separate easily and [2] fail to negotiate the beginning of a charging session properly.

* Sky Deli, 148 5th Street N, Skykomish, WA 98288

Last edited:
Evening of Feb9/2015 (Mon) I confirmed a peak charging rate of 46 kW at the AeroVironment charger* in Skykomish, WA.

* Sky Deli, 148 5th Street N, Skykomish, WA 98288

Do you remember your Volts, Amps, and SoC that gave you that 46 kW?

For example, 368 Volts at 125 Amps with a SoC of about 25% would give your 46 kW result, or 383 Volts time 120 Amps at about 60% SoC would also work.

Do you remember your Volts, Amps, and SoC that gave you that 46 kW?
For example, 368 Volts at 125 Amps with a SoC of about 25% would give your 46 kW result, or 383 Volts time 120 Amps at about 60% SoC would also work.
The rated miles at beginning of charge were around 170 I think. Unfortunately, I didn't note the current and voltage but I think it was around 125A and 380V because I was discussing the charging rate with my passenger and I mentioned 120kW at SC for some newer-than-mine cars and there was discussion about why the 125 was higher, etc. [The units were hard to see for tired eyes.] Also the streaming API fields don't include the amp/voltage breakdown -- just the power. And my charging session was apparently short enough that it lived "within" a single log file so the query APIs around the charge (beginning of the containing log file and of the next log file) have the "not charging" state.

Code:
timestamp,speed,odometer,soc,elevation,est_heading,est_lat,est_lng,power,shift_state,range,est_range

Beginning...
Code:
1423542406675,,44368.9,56,288,51,47.711180,-121.360813,-1,P,148,106

Peak rate lowest charge...
Code:
1423542864236,,44368.9,63,288,51,47.711180,-121.360813,-47,P,167,119

Peak rate highest charge...
Code:
1423543152116,,44368.9,68,288,51,47.711180,-121.360813,-47,P,179,128

End...
Code:
1423543429568,,44368.9,72,288,51,47.711180,-121.360813,-1,,190,136