Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMO adapter wait frustration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I placed my name on the waitlist in late January and was just offered the chance to order it last night. So my guess is that they'll be completed within a week on the waitlist and open it up to general availability.

Don't know my number but placed 2/13/15 and waiting. Car arrives 3/20 so I won't be without Chademo for long. I've got a free one 5 miles away in an area that wouldn't be a bad supercharger location - ie lots of shops/restuarants/coffee to walk to. Finally something that can make CAians jealous. Did I mention free? Of course off peak is $.05 so the draw is not great but if I forgot to plug in...

How long does it usually take for the order to get underway?

I got the e-mail on March 4th and placed my order on March 5th but still have not received any confirmation invoice or tracking info from Tesla.

Considering I paid $60 for shipping, I expected it to at least be on its way by now.

How long does it usually take for the order to get underway?

I got the e-mail on March 4th and placed my order on March 5th but still have not received any confirmation invoice or tracking info from Tesla.

Considering I paid $60 for shipping, I expected it to at least be on its way by now.
That's odd. I got a confirmation email for the order within hours and on $9 shipping had the adapter in less than a week.
My guess is that something went wrong when you submitted your order. Have you called them and asked?

I also had a delay in shipping so I inquired about it. Here's the response I received:

Hello Marc,

Thank you for contacting Tesla Motors. We have been informed that as of yesterday, we are experiencing a delay shipping out the latest batch of CHAdeMO Adapters. We hope to resume shipping next week. Unfortunately, we do not have any further information to provide at this time and we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

To further apologize for the delay, we have issued a refund for the shipping fees associated with your order.

Regards,
Krista

http://shop.teslamotors.com

p 510.896.6417 | e [email][email protected][/EMAIL]

Ordered 3 weeks ago. waiting for email. The good news is there are 8 or 9 CHAdeMO chargers being installed in North Carolina and 2 in South Carolina, Rock Hill and, Greenville . See PlugShare. They are Greenlots. The 1 in Greensboro list as $8.00 per charge. Sounds a bit high by some. To me it beats walking.:love:

The 1 in Greensboro list as $8.00 per charge. Sounds a bit high by some. To me it beats walking.:love:

Many of the new CHAdeMO 50kw stations being installed in NC are $8 per charge, which doesn't really make much sense. Sure for a few Tesla owners it will make some sense, but for the general EV public I'd imagine it won't get much use at that price. Say a Nissan Leaf wants to make use of one, which would give it an 80% charge for $8. So we are talking probably 50 (real) miles added. That's over double the price per mile of gas for a similar sized ICE. That's a heck of a premium to pay. I mean its great they're being installed, but they'll likely sit idle most of the time.

Many of the new CHAdeMO 50kw stations being installed in NC are $8 per charge, which doesn't really make much sense. Sure for a few Tesla owners it will make some sense, but for the general EV public I'd imagine it won't get much use at that price. Say a Nissan Leaf wants to make use of one, which would give it an 80% charge for $8. So we are talking probably 50 (real) miles added. That's over double the price per mile of gas for a similar sized ICE. That's a heck of a premium to pay. I mean its great they're being installed, but they'll likely sit idle most of the time.

For Tesla owners, that is not so bad. Assume 40 kW, so in an hour you get 40 kWh, at $8/hr and a 90% AC->DC efficiency, that works out to $0.18 per AC kWh. Given the cost of installing in the CHAdeMO, and convenience, that does not seem too expensive for 100-130 miles of driving.

For Tesla owners, that is not so bad. Assume 40 kW, so in an hour you get 40 kWh, at $8/hr and a 90% AC->DC efficiency, that works out to $0.18 per AC kWh. Given the cost of installing in the CHAdeMO, and convenience, that does not seem too expensive for 100-130 miles of driving.

Heck time is money, hopefully you can do something else at the location as it is sucking down the KWH. We do value our time right, we are talking minimum wage here or as they are agitating here locally maybe close to 1/2 of minimum wage?

$8 for a full charge that is cheap
Yes, $8/session is cheap. If they will let you fill a S85 in one session it's even cheaper. In the SF Bay Area, eVgo's plan that has no monthly fee has a per session fee for DC Fast Charging of $4.95 plus $0.20/minute. The session stops after 30 minutes, so you have to pay for another session to continue charging. That's $10.95 per half hour. If you're going to charge more than an hour a month, every month, then you should get the $14.95/mo plan with 1 year commitment because it's only $0.10/minute with no per session fee.

Last edited:
Here in Quebec, Canada, there are 2 choices for DC charging.

There is the "Circuit Électrique" which is sorta sponsored by the national electrical company. They have L2 charger at $2.50 per charge (no time limit). For DC charging, they charge $10/hour (CAD which is roughly $7.80 USD), billed by the minute.

The other alternative is "Azra". Same price : $4.99 for 30min, charged at the minute.

Well in Estonia we have three packages you can take:

1) No monthly fee, fee per charge is 4.5€ and CHAdeMO is limited to 1h (AC @ 22kW is limited to 4h)
2) 10€ / month and per charge 2.5€ fee
3) 30€ / month includes free 150kWh of power with no session fees and after that usual session limits apply with 1.2€ per session fee

And the network is extensive. I even did the math that if I charged at least 360kWh on that network, then on the third package it'd be cheaper than charging at home, just inconvenient unless you live next to one of the chargers ;)

Of course you can't compare NC pricing with Europe or CA....

$8 is reasonable even for a Leaf. I don't have a Chademo on our Leaf because NC had zero in March 2013 with no plans either. I now have 2 within 6 miles. My wife takes over the Leaf Friday and it would have been great to have the option to pay $8 when you get in trouble. Heck $20 is fine in an emergency. $1 is almost too much routinely - we pay $.05 off peak so $1 fills the Leaf.

Per cost L3 charging is meant to be a rare situation for most. You can't compare it to gas.