Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Which is 5x faster than the typical public J1772 (now typically crippled to 203V and 24 amps). Not sure about you but I will take 5x the speed any day especially along routes where there is no plan for Supercharging.

It must be different out East, but for travel purposes, public J1772 charging(the 30A variety) is completely useless, unless one plans to spend the night. It's much better to just find an RV park.

If I can paraphrase Allen Iverson
"We're talking about 25kW CHAdeMO station. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about 25kW, not a Supercharger, not a Supercharger, not a Supercharger, but we're talking about 25 kW. Not the Supercharger that I go out there and drive to and charge every week like it's my last but we're talking about 25 kW man."

Classic. I'm in the Philly area and I saw that interview live (on TV) when it happened. "I'm supposed to be a franchise player and we talkin' 'bout practice?"

Any additional news about the adapter yet?

We've all seen photos of people, apparently beta-testers, using this adapter in the wild. However, we don't know when it will be released. I don't think the beta-testers know much more as well, but are bound by a non-disclosure agreement anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

the typical public J1772 (now typically crippled to 203V and 24 amps).

Are any networks besides Blink crippling what should be be 30 amp stations?

Are any networks besides Blink crippling what should be be 30 amp stations?

Not that I know of but because I am here in Tennessee and Blink installed 80+% of all charging stations for us it is a very real issue as very slow charging just became VERY VERY slow charging. If I recall Blink installed nearly half of all public charging stations so it is a significant % of what is out there.

Then from what I have seen traveling; most RV parks are a bit off the road with very little within waking distance. So while they are an option they are not often a great one to charge as even 40 amps is only like 30 miles/hour or about 6 hours to charge a nearly depleted battery

Then from what I have seen traveling; most RV parks are a bit off the road with very little within waking distance. So while they are an option they are not often a great one to charge as even 40 amps is only like 30 miles/hour or about 6 hours to charge a nearly depleted battery
I have used a 30A 208 V j1772 once, and will never fall for that again. 12hrs vs 6.5 is a huge difference. Most J1772 charging is a joke. I will agree that most RV parks aren't in the best locations, but what exactly do people do for 12 hours even in a good location, while the car charges? It's bad enough to try and kill 6 hours.

Which is 5x faster than the typical public J1772 (now typically crippled to 203V and 24 amps). Not sure about you but I will take 5x the speed any day especially along routes where there is no plan for Supercharging.

I would take that too. But there aren't many really outside west coast, Houston and Tennessee. They are all within city limits. But of course if there was a 25kW station along a route that would be better than level 2. Until they start deploying 4-8 CHAdeMO stations at a location and place them along major routes the adapter won't be useful for many people. Still decent for destination charging if you aren't staying overnight.

Wait, is the Tesla in the Plugshare pic SockBlocking or was it actually using a Chademo adapter?

Tesla has indeed used this charger at San Juan Capistrano with their CHAdeMO adaptor.

- - - Updated - - -

(and I'd still like to see a 2nd charger installed at SJC!)

There are 22 Marriott properties to go throughout SoCal, in addition the the charge plaza that you already know about. So, what would you like first... more locations or more chargers at existing locations?

- - - Updated - - -

Until they start deploying 4-8 CHAdeMO stations at a location and place them along major routes the adapter won't be useful for many people. Still decent for destination charging if you aren't staying overnight.

I hope we are the "they"... with already the first dual CHAdeMO install in the USA that I'm aware of, we will likely also have the first 4-8 CHAdeMO charge plaza.

Pretty sure they're only working on an adapter for the US/JP model charge port. The Mennekes 2 version would have to wait even longer — they haven't even released an UMC for Mennekes 2 yet.

The euro version has been seen in the wild too, under test by Tesla.

If the problems are techincal, they will probably appear almost simultaneously; if there are regulatory issues that would be a reason for one or other to be delayed unpredictably.

There are 22 Marriott properties to go throughout SoCal, in addition the the charge plaza that you already know about. So, what would you like first... more locations or more chargers at existing locations?

Personally I think more locations first.
I hope those 22 stations will be of the stable, non-Nissan 50kW variety.
Just like 208V/30A Level 2 chargers are annoying, I'm sure we'll soon (OK, at some point) start complaining about 25kW CHAdeMO stations... That's still >3h with an empty 85...

SJC is special in that it's the last Marriott heading south before Pendleton which makes it a natural place to stop to charge, so in this case, I think it actually makes sense to get a 2nd stall there as we all know how much a 2nd plug reduces your chances of finding the plug unavailable. Especially once the adapter is available and Model Ss start using the stations for 60+ kWh charges. For hotel use, I'm actually a bit surprised they aren't going for L2 stations as overnight even at 30A is usually plenty unless you can be sure to keep cars moving through the QC station.

I hope we are the "they"... with already the first dual CHAdeMO install in the USA that I'm aware of, we will likely also have the first 4-8 CHAdeMO charge plaza.
CSU Northridge has had dual Nissan QCs for 6 months now. Still not sure if they are the first location to have two.

I have used a 30A 208 V j1772 once, and will never fall for that again. 12hrs vs 6.5 is a huge difference. Most J1772 charging is a joke. I will agree that most RV parks aren't in the best locations, but what exactly do people do for 12 hours even in a good location, while the car charges? It's bad enough to try and kill 6 hours.

Sleep? We've exceeded 4000 miles now on our vacation, and only done two SuperCharges. The rest of the trip has been mainly charging while speeping and a few sessions of 22kW AC during the day.