Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to chime in here. The Nissan dealers I have dealt with while driving my Leaf were all very friendly. The problem is that they didn't seem to understand how important uptime on the Chademo chargers was. I had to flatbed my Leaf because the Chademo had been down for three days and no one was fixing it. I think it took 2 weeks for that charger to get repaired. Also note there is usually only one Chademo at each dealership. In a supercharger desert with Chademos available it would be nice to have the adapter but I wouldn't plan on using them the way I plan to use Superchargers.

(LMB Spouse)

We've only used one, at the largest Nissan dealer in South Carolina. They were extremely friendly about using one of their two chargers, moving one of their own Leafs which was plugged in when we arrived on a busy Saturday morning. It took them 20 minutes to find someone to give us a tour of a Leaf, and he knew less about it than we did. In their defense, I think he said they sell four or five a year so it's not a focus. The seats were comfy, though.

Chicken or Egg?

I've charged overnight (never saw the staff) at one Nissan dealer in Gorham, NH. I spoke with the Service Dept. a week beforehand who were happy to have me charge, and let me know it was accessible 24/7. Late in the day I arrived I called ahead just to be sure. Service Dept. was closed so I got the Sales Manager. Neither he nor any of the remaining staff were even aware they had a charger. He explained they didn't have much demand for Leafs, though in his case I'm not surprised because though the situation has improved slightly, in June 2013 there was next to no charging infrastructure North of Concord, NH.

I have noticed (at least locally) a shift there. Many have switched to card access pay per use on their CHAdeMO and so they are a bit better about letting "random" people drive up and use the charging since they aren't giving away the power for free anymore. On the other hand, if their service department wants to charge a customer car, you might get told you need to wait in line.
In SoCal the same switch to card access pay has occurred at most Nissan dealer CHAdeMOs. Some are Chargepoint, but many are EVgo (NRG). A friend of mine was charged about $20 to put 18 kWh in his LEAF at a Nissan dealer in Van Nuys, CA. Plugshare now shows 50 or 60 CHAdeMO in the greater LA-OC area, but I hear many reports that at any one time perhaps 20% or more are inoperative. Sometimes they overheat, other times people hit the big red emergency stop button rather than the blue stop button. Many of the new stations installed by NRG are not at Nissan dealerships, so they are not constrained by business hours, but that does not help if they are not working.

I agree that it would be quite risky to depend upon getting a charge at any single CHAdeMO location outside of town without backup choices. If it is at a Nissan dealer, you can call ahead, but be sure you are talking to someone who knows the difference between CHAdeMO and J1772.

The Nissan dealers I have dealt with while driving my Leaf were all very friendly. The problem is that they didn't seem to understand how important uptime on the Chademo chargers was. I had to flatbed my Leaf because the Chademo had been down for three days and no one was fixing it. I think it took 2 weeks for that charger to get repaired.

In some cases, the dealership is waging battle with Nissan Inc. over who should pay for the repair. Remember that they are franchises, not a direct part of Nissan Inc. We had a Nissan dealership here in Atlanta who let his Chademo stay broken for two months during one of these fights. We've also seen the dealers neglecting the DCFC stations by not bothering to clean the air filters, even when it's pointed out to them that they are clogged.

This is especially true for the 2013 Chademo units that were ruled out by Nissan, where they gave it to the dealer for free. The dealers are simply not incentivized to care that much.

This may change soon, now that NRG is rolling out upgrades (at least in our market) that cost money to use, and perhaps the dealership is getting a cut of it.

In some cases, the dealership is waging battle with Nissan Inc. over who should pay for the repair...

I wonder if NADA thinks this benefits customers.

On another note, A friendly Nissan dealership in Kansas City bailed me out by letting me charge my Model S overnight when my hotel's station was out-of-order. I offered to pay, but they refused to take any money.

All the 100-110V countries use the proprietary connector, and all the 220-240V countries use Type 2.

I guess would depend on how you define these terms. It could be said the US is a 240V country, because that is what most residences are supplied with. I think use of the Type 2 connector has more to do with phases. In the US, residences almost always have single-phase electricity. In other places, three-phase is more common.

I guess would depend on how you define these terms. It could be said the US is a 240V country, because that is what most residences are supplied with. I think use of the Type 2 connector has more to do with phases. In the US, residences almost always have single-phase electricity. In other places, three-phase is more common.

Hmm I had no idea that US residences are supplied with 240V. I assumed everything is 110V since that's what all the household appliances use.

Hmm I had no idea that US residences are supplied with 240V. I assumed everything is 110V since that's what all the household appliances use.

Yep. Typical US households have 240 split-phase wiring. There is 240V measured between the two hot wires, and 120V measured between neutral and either hot. Most household outlets are 120V, but some (such as for an electric oven or dryer) are 240V. And we (US Telsa owners) mostly charge at 240V at home, either through a NEMA 14-50 outlet or an HPWC.

Yep. Typical US households have 240 split-phase wiring. There is 240V measured between the two hot wires, and 120V measured between neutral and either hot. Most household outlets are 120V, but some (such as for an electric oven or dryer) are 240V. And we (US Telsa owners) mostly charge at 240V at home, either through a NEMA 14-50 outlet or an HPWC.
If you reason that way, the european countries that have 230V between neutral and hot should be called 400V countries because that's what we have between phases. Ohh and we have 3 phases into the house normally which means I can max out a single MS charger with only 16A of current.
Well except for Norway which have a weird electrical system...

I see, that makes sense. But I thought that only the US and Canada have 100-110V. :smile:
Then the US Model S owners could find someone in Japan to buy them the adapter there and ship it to the US, right?

When I was in Bahrain some neighborhoods used US style 110V outlets and some used 220V with UK outlets. just throwing that out there...:rolleyes:

If you reason that way, the european countries that have 230V between neutral and hot should be called 400V countries because that's what we have between phases. Ohh and we have 3 phases into the house normally which means I can max out a single MS charger with only 16A of current.
Well except for Norway which have a weird electrical system...

I said earlier that I think the classification of single-phase and three-phase makes more sense than voltage. I believe that Tesla used the Type 2 connector to accommodate three phases. Of course, the grid is three-phase everywhere, so in hindsight, maybe Tesla should have used the Type 2 connector everywhere.

By the way, your measurement is different than my measurement. I'm measuring one phase (because that's all I have). You're measuring between phases.

So, for anyone subscribed to this thread, purportedly the CHAdeMO adapter will be available starting in January.

Has anyone been able to secure an order?

I've been on the wait list since October 2013, so I should be fairly high on the list. I have not received and email saying I can order yet.

I assume they will send a private link to people on the waitlist first, as they have done in the past for wait listed items. When that happens, there will be plenty of post saying they place the order.