Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My friend, who traveled with his Nissan Leaf from Slovenia to Scotland, sent me photos of his journey. On one of them, I've noticed a Tesla Model S charging at Chademo station, using the Chademo adapter:

imag1881.jpg

They corrected their error. The page is back to saying $2950 for activation & adapter.

It also now says "Adapter + CHAdeMO Onboard Hardware Activation" ("CHAdeMO" added.) This makes very little sense for $2,950, which is exactly the cost of the CHAdeMO adapter plus supercharger activation.

Adapter + CHAdeMO activation for $2,450 makes sense (no supercharger access) or Adapter + Supercharger activation for $2,950 makes sense.

Tesla: please get it together!

It also now says "Adapter + CHAdeMO Onboard Hardware Activation" ("CHAdeMO" added.) This makes very little sense for $2,950, which is exactly the cost of the CHAdeMO adapter plus supercharger activation.

Adapter + CHAdeMO activation for $2,450 makes sense (no supercharger access) or Adapter + Supercharger activation for $2,950 makes sense.

Tesla: please get it together!

More likely the latter. As Chademo and SC activation are the same, and doubt they would want to track the difference between them.

Using the ChargePoint App and filtering for Level 3 and ChargePoint network only, there are only 5 CHAdeMO chargers in the SF Bay Area. 4 Nissan dealers and 1 hospital in Monterey. 3 dealers are free, 1 is $5 per session and the hospital is $6.50 per session. I don't know if the session cuts you off after 30 minutes or not. If it does, you would have to pay again to resume charging.

There is a new CHAdeMO charger in Palo Alto on El Camino Real. Heard about it in the last week or so.
It's not actually on El Camino, it's across the CalTrain tracks from Stanford Shopping Center at the corner of Lytton Ave and Alma St. Apparently, there is no card reader and you just press the start button. It is a curbside installation and people on PlugShare are complaining that the cable is a little short, presumably for the center mounted Leaf port. To charge a Model S, you would probably have to park facing traffic unless the adapter gave you enough extra cable length. Bring a towel too, just in case that giant metal CHAdeMO handle is touching the car as the cable stretches around.

"It was more than a year ago when Tesla Motors first unveiled its Model S CHAdeMO adapter. The price way back then was $1,000. Status – coming soon. While the status of coming soon remains, the price has been cut by more than half: $450 . This confirms that Tesla is nearly ready to begin selling this adapter to the public at a far more reasonable price than was first claimed."

InsideEVs: Tesla Model S CHAdeMO Adapter Now Only $450 - Was $1,000

I brought up Plugshare yesterday to look for some local chargers and it appears most Nissan dealers in eastern MA now have CHAdeMO chargers!
This is a huge surprise to me. The adapter will come in handy IMO.

Nissan dealers really don't want to provide charging and many deny even LEAFs if they haven't been purchased from that dealer. I wouldn't count on a high success rate charging on CHAdeMO at Nissan dealers ...

"It was more than a year ago when Tesla Motors first unveiled its Model S CHAdeMO adapter. The price way back then was $1,000. Status – coming soon. While the status of coming soon remains, the price has been cut by more than half: $450 . This confirms that Tesla is nearly ready to begin selling this adapter to the public at a far more reasonable price than was first claimed."

InsideEVs: Tesla Model S CHAdeMO Adapter Now Only $450 - Was $1,000

That blog was about 3 weeks late with the info about the price drop. It was reported here when it happened.

Nissan dealers really don't want to provide charging and many deny even LEAFs if they haven't been purchased from that dealer. I wouldn't count on a high success rate charging on CHAdeMO at Nissan dealers ...
Fortunately I have had a VERY different experience with Nissan dealers. I have used 5 different ones for charging and they were ALL VERY helpful and supportive. Just plan to spend some time answering questions about EV ownership.

Fortunately I have had a VERY different experience with Nissan dealers. I have used 5 different ones for charging and they were ALL VERY helpful and supportive. Just plan to spend some time answering questions about EV ownership.

It seems like it would behoove a Nissan dealer to do this. After all, they have a captive audience and could easily use it as an opportunity to show off a Leaf "for the kids to drive".

I have noticed (at least locally) a shift there. Many have switched to card access pay per use on their CHAdeMO and so they are a bit better about letting "random" people drive up and use the charging since they aren't giving away the power for free anymore. On the other hand, if their service department wants to charge a customer car, you might get told you need to wait in line.

(LMB Spouse)

It seems like it would behoove a Nissan dealer to do this. After all, they have a captive audience and could easily use it as an opportunity to show off a Leaf "for the kids to drive".

We've only used one, at the largest Nissan dealer in South Carolina. They were extremely friendly about using one of their two chargers, moving one of their own Leafs which was plugged in when we arrived on a busy Saturday morning. It took them 20 minutes to find someone to give us a tour of a Leaf, and he knew less about it than we did. In their defense, I think he said they sell four or five a year so it's not a focus. The seats were comfy, though.