Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
During the opening of the Montreal Tesla Store / Service Center (the biggest in North America!) the availability of the CHAdeMO adaptor was THE question: WHEN???

Since Jerome Guillen was there, I directly asked him. I took the time to explain him that the «available soon» is posted since 18 months!! Especially that I spotted hundreds of CHAdeMO adaptors boxes during my Fremont visit in October!

He responded that it will be officially commercialized in North America in January 2015 FOR SURE! He even authorized me to cite him.

I made an official article here (french):

http://roulezelectrique.com/exclusif...-janvier-2015/

KIA CHAdeMO power level

Kia is planning a bunch of 100 kW CHAdeMO stations. Does the adapter support 100 kW?

Kia powers ahead with fastest EV chargers in Europe
I have seen a 100 kW Kia DC station charging a LEAF at a Kia dealership in Cerritos, CA. It is dual hose, one hose CHAdeMO, the other SAE. Each hose is 50 kW max, not 100 kW, but they can both be powered at once, so maximum power that can be supplied is 100 kW. The units are from ABB, look very sturdy, and apparently have plenty of charger cooling to handle a full 100 kW. Since most of the time only one hose will be in use, these units should not overheat, unlike the Nissan units made by Sumitomo. The LEAF draws 44 kW for only a few minutes at the bottom of its charge. A Tesla might want to draw maximum power for 40 minutes or more, so a Sumitomo would very likely overheat.

I should think the adapter will have no trouble with 50 kW. I have also seen Plugshare reports of Nissan dealers in Santa Fe NM and eastern CO with ABB CHAdeMO, but they were using a ABB model rated only 20 kW. If in a given town you have a choice of Nissan or Kia CHAdeMO, go for the Kia.

Last edited:
I love how the mainstream OEMs conveniently ignore Tesla when they're trying to pump up their (non)achievements. There are over 100 Superchargers in Europe capable of 135kW total power (or 35% more than Kia boasts here).

Yeah seriously, that press release was kinda awkward to read.

“These are the first chargers in the region to offer so much power"
Uhhh...

At least they're trying tho...

To answer a question from a few pages back, Tesla has stated that their CHAdeMO adapter is rated for 100 kW use. I believe this is the maximum power supported by the CHAdeMO standard.

There may not be any 100 kW ChadeMo chargers in the field yet, but Tesla's cars and adapters are ready!

GSP

Are the Nissan chargers in the US made by Sumitomo or DBT under license (as European ones are)?

That's interesting, they build them similar to how the Tesla SCs are built. The 100kW unit contains five 20kW modules.

ABB (or more to the point Epyon, the company they bought) were using the multiple brick architecture before Tesla even announced the supercharger. It's good common sense engineering.

That's interesting, they build them similar to how the Tesla SCs are built. The 100kW unit contains five 20kW modules.
One difference is that the Tesla 10 kW units are single-phase, wired in sets of 3 in 3-phase Y configuration, 277V phase to neutral, and I believe everyone else's modules are 3-phase. When I saw an Eaton 50 kW CHAdeMO being worked on several years ago, I could see the 3-phase structure (sets of 3 coils) in each 10 kW drawer. The Tesla design is more compact and simpler inside, and the production volume is high, keeping the price low.