Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mario: Ok. Obviously you can't always trust car salesperson :wink: Guy there definitely told me, they have one there. One possibility is, that he did not know, what a CHAdeMO adapter is. Auto-Outlet also tells on their site how you can charge Tesla from CHAdeMO stations, but forgets to tell, you need an adapter which is not yet available :rolleyes:

Reading the Tesla Motors UK forum it seems that the European CHAdeMO adapter may still be under development.
May be we should lobby Tesla for a CCS solution instead given the time it takes for Tesla to get any adapter developed, tested and approved.
Ecotricity has just committed to CCS support at its charging stations in the UK and FastNed has CCS support in the Netherlands.

I would disagree :) Estonia has an extensive network and it's all CHAdeMO with no plans to upgrade it to CCS any time soon. I'm guessing all of those Ecotricity ones will also feature CHAdeMO charging so why bother with CCS...

Because a CCS adapter would be WAY cheaper as no electronics is necessary. I'm not interested in paying ~€1000 for the CHAdeMO adapter but I would happily pay €150 for a CCS adapter.

I'd rather buy an €800 (the actual price, not €1000) adapter in the next couple of months that I can use everywhere than a €200 future adapter that I can't use anywhere ;) Simpler or not ;)

We have 25% VAT in Norway, so it's €1000 here ;)

More or less all of our public CHAdeMO locations will be upgraded to dual or triple standard this year. This is very logical now that only the Leaf and iMiEV use CHAdeMO while the i3, e-Up and e-Golf will use CCS. Next year there will most probably be sold more CCS cars here than CHAdeMO cars.

Two days ago their on-line store listed availability of the North American adapter as this winter. Today its merely "Coming Soon".

Could be because technically "coming this winter" would now mean "between December 2014 and March 2015" - and while that may be when it turns out shipping (given Tesla's track record) I highly doubt that Tesla wants to leave people with that impression.
The fact that they are already saying "June" to me means "maybe in 2014, maybe not".

I love almost everything about Tesla, both my car and the company.
But I am utterly appalled by their inability to give us reasonable time estimates for anything.
Every time I hear people talk about the Model X shipping this year (even Tesla doesn't claim that any more) or even "Q1 2015" I cringe. I would be very surprised if they managed to ship the first Signature car in 1H15 - and wouldn't be surprised at all if my delivery slipped into 2016.

Could be because technically "coming this winter" would now mean "between December 2014 and March 2015" - and while that may be when it turns out shipping (given Tesla's track record) I highly doubt that Tesla wants to leave people with that impression.
The fact that they are already saying "June" to me means "maybe in 2014, maybe not".

Keep in mind that "coming this winter" was posted in fall of 2013... Now that winter is over and its spring 2014, I think they realized that the timing was outdated, so they just went back to "coming soon"... Probably a harmless mistake to not catch it earlier...

I suspect the redesign of the 14-50 adapter resulted in the CHAdeMO adapter being delayed... Likely the same engineering team that works on both. Now that the new 14-50s are being sent out (although I haven't received mine yet...), hopefully they get this back on track...

Will need CHAdeMO in 4-5 month, and I believe the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter will not be ready. I hope it will, but in parallel I try to build my own. I solved the CHAdeMO part, I bought the complete specification to have the detail of the CAN protocol. This part is OK. Will need to find a CHAdeMO socket, but I think it's doable.
The more complex now it to understand how the Tesla talks to superchargers, it seems it uses the same protocol than CCS charger, based on Green Phy PLC on pilot line. Tried to verify this morning, I seen a modulation from the car on the oscilloscope when my EVSE wallbox send a 5% duty cycle. Tomorrow I will verify if it can be Green Phy modulation. I just learned the Green Phy PLC protocol works with 1155 sub carriers frequency, between 2Mhz and 30Mhz. Will try to see if I see something between 2 and 30Mhz with the scope, but the better way will be to use a spectrum analyser to see if there is really multiple carriers between 2 and 30Mhz (Will take it at work monday). If yes I think we will able to conclude that they really use Green Phy PLC to communicate with supercharger, as CCS charger.
Next step will be to buy a Green Phy chip (QCA7000) or a development board, found some things interesting, asked for quotes but received no answer for now :(

Any help or ideas are welcome, my topic about this development is here : Supercharger protocol for diy CHAdeMO adapter
Best regards

Will need to find a CHAdeMO socket, but I think it's doable.

When I was looking into the feasibility of this, I found in the Nissan part catalogue 296B13NA1A which appears to be the CHAdeMO socket with cables already crimped into it. Online dealers in the USA were quoting $730 for this part - expensive, but for a 1-off probably easier than buying the connectors and then having to find tooling to do the crimps. Might get lucky and find a Leaf in a scrapyard?

(warning: this is just the result of reading the parts catalogue - I haven't confirmed that this is definitely the right part).

Hi Tony,
Here are a few from me....

Rabobank, Goleta - 70 amp Clipper Creek
Rabobank, Santa Maria - 70 amp Clipper Creek
Rabobank, Atascadero - 70 amp Clipper Creek
Marsh St Garage, SLO - 70 amp Clipper Creek

They're out there, you just need to look...It would be awesome if Plugshare would realize this and offer a specialized filter...

One public at my office 1129 Pacific Street SLO in case the Marsh street is occupied (two blocks away). Free to TMC members during office hours. On Plug Share and designated as 70 amps in description.

Regarding the Tesla protocol: I met 'sefs' at the CMU Electric Garage yesterday and he has converted a Tesla mobile charging cable into a J1772, saying that they use the same protocols. This is consistent with the fact that you can plug a J1772 charger into a Model S with just a simple, passive adapter. 'sefs' certainly knows more about this than I do, so please ask him before relying on my memory.

Regarding the Tesla protocol: I met 'sefs' at the CMU Electric Garage yesterday and he has converted a Tesla mobile charging cable into a J1772, saying that they use the same protocols. This is consistent with the fact that you can plug a J1772 charger into a Model S with just a simple, passive adapter. 'sefs' certainly knows more about this than I do, so please ask him before relying on my memory.
Is this ac-charging or high power dc with plc?
Ac, nothing special, model s already have standard connector in europe and uses the standard protocol...

Looks like Tesla's CHAdeMO adapter is almost ready. I came across the purchase link with the active buy button. I went through the purchase process successfully. I hope it's for real... I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Screenshot_2014-04-06-22-56-09.png