Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMO Charging the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Last night I received the 2019.24.4 software update for our Model 3. So this morning I tested Tesla’s CHAdeMO adapter to determine the rate of charge, and see how many miles I’d get and how long it would take to charge from a given SOC. Summary: 45 minutes gave me 139 miles of rated range and cost $8.69. Tesla’s CHAdeMO adapter is easy to use and provides more charging options for the Model 3.

IMG_4564.jpg
A DC charger at a charging station in Sacramento.

This site where I charged has one DC charger with dual plugs to charge EVs with either CHAdeMO or CCS charging ports. It can charge one car at a time, delivers a maximum of 125 amps, and provides maximum power approaching 50 kW depending on factors such as state of charge, battery pack temperature, etc. I arrived at the station with 126 miles of rated range – 39% SOC – in our long range RWD Model 3.

Start-1024x302.jpg
I arrived at the station with 126 miles of range / 39% SOC.

If you haven’t used CHAdeMO chargers before the plugs are substantial, and by that I mean big. But using the adapter, while not dead simple like a Supercharger, was straightforward and easy: I removed the CHAdeMO plug from its holster on the charger, connected it to Tesla’s CHAdeMO adapter, and plugged the adapter into the Model 3’s charging port.

This station is operated by Greenlots. To start a charging session you either call their 1-800 number, use the Greenlots phone app, or a Greenlots RFID card. I have a Greenlots account and their RFID key fob so I held the key fob next to the labeled sensor on the charger and it verified my account. The charger provides you with easy to follows instructions. I pressed the button to select the CHAdeMO plug, and then pressed the button again to start the charging session.

Adapter-and-Greenlots-1024x489.jpg
I connected Tesla’s CHAdeMO adapter to the charger plug, plugged the adapter into my Model 3 charge port, and used an RFID card to start the charging session.

The charger delivered 22.8 kWh in the first 30 minutes, providing about 90 miles of rated range.

30Minutes-1024x322.jpg
This DC charger sent 23 kWh to the Model 3 in 30 minutes, adding 90 miles of rated range to the pack.

The session started with the charger delivering 42 kW when the battery pack was at 39%. The power slowly increased, hitting 49 kW when the battery pack reached 80% SOC. I didn’t charge long enough to see where the taper would begin, but I’m guessing that would be in the range of 80-85% SOC.

It took a total of 45 minutes to go from 39% to 81% SOC. This included the time it took me to plug in and initiate the session. In 45 minutes the charger delivered 33.7 kWh (according to Greenlots), adding 139 miles of rated range to the pack.

StartandFinish-1024x375.jpg
The charging session started with the charger delivering 42 kW at 39% SOC, and the power slowly increased hitting 49 kW when the battery reached 80% SOC.

At this location Greenlots charges 25¢ per kWh, plus taxes and a 35¢ session fee. Total cost for this charge was $8.69, so just under 26¢ per kWh, which is comparable to the cost of using a Supercharger. The cost of using CHAdeMO chargers varies depending on the network that operates the station.

CHAdeMO charging stations are not Superchargers, yet. Some of the new stations coming online provide more than 125 amps, but I believe Tesla’s current CHAdeMO adapter will accept no more than 125 amps (please correct me if I’m wrong). CHAdeMO chargers don’t span the entire country, and generally don’t have as many charging stalls per site compared to most Supercharger locations. But some regions of the country have a good number of CHAdeMO charging locations that support EV drivers. So while 139 miles in 45 minutes is slower than a Supercharger, it’s better than L2 charging. Most importantly this gives us more charging options for road trips and regional travel.

I’ve used this station before to charge our 2012 Toyota Rav4 EV, thanks to Tony Williams’ CHAdeMO charging port, JdeMO. Adding the CHAdeMO charging port to our Rav4 EV expanded the horizons of that car, and I expect the CHAdeMO adapter to come in handy for our Model 3. I don’t expect to use it for local charging, but plan to use the adapter on longer trips we have planned.

Rav.jpg
Quick charging my 2012 Rav4 EV at this station several years ago.

If you are new to EVs and want to know how to find CHAdeMO charging stations, Plugshare is a very good resource. Go to that website (or download the phone app), click on the filter tab, and select CHAdeMO (or any other type of charger) to find charging locations near you.

CHAdeMOAtlanta-1024x543.jpg
Screen shot from the Plugshare.com website showing the location of CHAdeMO charging stations in the Atlanta area.

Final note: In the United States the two non-Tesla DC charging standards are CHAdeMO and CCS. The CHAdeMO charging standard was designed and promoted by Japanese power companies and auto manufacturers including Nissan and Mitsubishi. The Nissan Leaf, which came on the market in 2010, is the best selling EV with the CHAdeMO port. Other auto manufacturers use the CCS DC charging standard. Cars with the CCS port include the Chevy Bolt EV, BMW i3, VW e-Golf, and other European made EVs coming on the market. Ultimately cars with a CCS port will outnumber those with CHAdeMO. At some point Tesla may sell a CCS adapter for use in the United States, but there’s no indication of that yet.

This guest post from Steve Noctor originally appeared on his blog It’s Electric

Last edited by a moderator:
For DrivetheARC, if you only have an Android phone, I'd recommend not going to/depending on a reservation station (Lucky at Bernal in SJ or Pacific Pearl in Pleasanton each have one of two set to that) until they fix their Reserve button on Android bug. Otherwise, you'll only be able to the use the non-reservation station w/promo tickets. iOS is fine.

If you want free juice and your Reserve button works, it's best to reserve a slot on the reservation charger during one of the times where you can also get a 100% discount promo ticket. That way, you'll have a decent chance of charging for free on either charger. There's always the possibility that one or both are broken...
My Android DTA app version got updated to 3.3.1 today and I confirmed the Reserve button works on the two reservation stations now. I pinged the Bolt driver I mentioned earlier and he confirmed it, as well.

Bad news regarding DrivetheARC (for those in limited parts of Nor Cal): the free and discounted juice is coming to an end on Feb 1st: Switching Over to Regular Price Operation - DRIVEtheARC. Oh well. It was good while it lasted. I got lots of free juice from them during COVID.
There was ambiguity in the email DTA sent about "free reservation". I called EVgo asking if the just the reservation was free or if the charge was free, as well. They seemingly gave the wrong info telling me only the reservation was free.

I've used both the reservation stations today (Pleasanton and Lucky at Bernal in SJ) + the one at Lucky at Bernal a few days ago (after repair sometime after Feb 1, 2021) and like previous reservation sessions, they don't show up in the EVgo app as either a billing or charge event, so they didn't cost me anything. I'd imagine on or after Feb 26th, the DTA app and/or reservations will no longer function.

A Model 3 pulled up next to me at Lucky at Bernal in SJ and used the paid EVgo station w/his CHAdeMO adapter. As I left, I saw his charging rate at 49 kW and briefly at 50 kW.

Too bad the 19 cent/kWh Santa Clara County Water District DC FCs have been down for awhile, nearing 2 months of downtime. :/

My local AAA offers free fast charging, and this gave me an excuse to experiment with the Chademo adapter. The best part - it offers more peace of mind, for example, when I drove down the mountain yesterday.

Now, the local AAA office claims that "Apparently Tesla adapters can break these stations." This makes no sense - These Chargepoint stations are brand new, and it would be a major flaw if Teslas can break them! Besides, I charged twice one one day at the same station and it was working fine. Seems like the BMW owners complained that Tesla owners should charge at the supercharger nearby. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 618714.jpg
    618714.jpg
    540.9 KB · Views: 71
My local AAA offers free fast charging, and this gave me an excuse to experiment with the Chademo adapter. The best part - it offers more peace of mind, for example, when I drove down the mountain yesterday.

Now, the local AAA office claims that "Apparently Tesla adapters can break these stations." This makes no sense - These Chargepoint stations are brand new, and it would be a major flaw if Teslas can break them! Besides, I charged twice one one day at the same station and it was working fine. Seems like the BMW owners complained that Tesla owners should charge at the supercharger nearby. Thoughts?

That tesla owners should charge at the supercharger nearby, unless they cant for some reason, because other EV drivers dont have that option. If the situation was reversed (BMW owners charging at the supercharger) tesla owners would be posting all over the internet in a frenzy talking about "whats wrong with them?!?!?!?!".

Probably confused the CHAdeMO adapter with the SETEC CCS adapter.

In California, each month there become fewer and fewer places that can't be reached via the SuperCharger network. While I travel with a chademo adapter (and a 14-50 extension cord) I've never had to use them. While non-Tesla L3s are also growing, I just don't see any real places these L3s unlock that the SuperCharger network doesn't already service. (Again, someone can undoubtedly point out some edge cases, but they really are becoming the exception.)

For me, the chademo adapter is strictly for emergencies. It's a lot more work to connect/pay, and once it's going, the charging rate is much lower.

That said, if Tesla ever releases an official CCS adapter, I will probably buy it, and minus a few test charges, never actually need it. I'll just have it for piece of mind.

That tesla owners should charge at the supercharger nearby, unless they cant for some reason, because other EV drivers dont have that option. If the situation was reversed (BMW owners charging at the supercharger) tesla owners would be posting all over the internet in a frenzy talking about "whats wrong with them?!?!?!?!".
Well, in my case I would prefer to use the closer-to-me (by about a mile) ChargePoint station with my CHAdeMO adapter if that DC FAST station was reliably working all the time. The main reason, beside being on a route which I travel more often than going to the area where the SC is located, is that it's a much cheaper to charge /kWh ($0.19 vs $0.31). Have to recoup some of the almost $500 the CHAdeMO adapter cost me, right?

That last time that I was at the ChargePoint station I had just plugged in when a guy pulled up and asked how long I was going to be there. I told him about 30 minutes and he said he'd wait (it's the only public DC FAST station in the lot). BTW, he did ask me why I was using the Chargepoint station instead of a using a Supercharger and I quoted him the price difference. I then noticed that my car stopped charging so I restarted the session and it stopped again. I told the guy that I didn't know if it was my adapter or the station but that I was going to go to the Supercharger and that he was free to plug in. Turns out that the station had been offline for at least a week beforehand (and it's still been down since early January). So yes, it's nice to have the option of using a Supercharger or ChargePoint station depending on the situation. If it were reversed and BMW, Bolt and Prius drivers were able to plug into a SC, you're probably right in saying that there would be an uproar. If/when it does happen though, and Elon's on record as to Tesla's willingness to share the Supercharger network with other automakers, the charging cost for non-Tesla drivers should be set a little more than what it would normally cost them. A "convenience" tax, if you will.

Well, in my case I would prefer to use the closer-to-me (by about a mile) ChargePoint station with my CHAdeMO adapter if that DC FAST station was reliably working all the time. The main reason, beside being on a route which I travel more often than going to the area where the SC is located, is that it's a much cheaper to charge /kWh ($0.19 vs $0.31). Have to recoup some of the almost $500 the CHAdeMO adapter cost me, right?

That last time that I was at the ChargePoint station I had just plugged in when a guy pulled up and asked how long I was going to be there. I told him about 30 minutes and he said he'd wait (it's the only public DC FAST station in the lot). BTW, he did ask me why I was using the Chargepoint station instead of a using a Supercharger and I quoted him the price difference. I then noticed that my car stopped charging so I restarted the session and it stopped again. I told the guy that I didn't know if it was my adapter or the station but that I was going to go to the Supercharger and that he was free to plug in. Turns out that the station had been offline for at least a week beforehand (and it's still been down since early January). So yes, it's nice to have the option of using a Supercharger or ChargePoint station depending on the situation. If it were reversed and BMW, Bolt and Prius drivers were able to plug into a SC, you're probably right in saying that there would be an uproar. If/when it does happen though, and Elon's on record as to Tesla's willingness to share the Supercharger network with other automakers, the charging cost for non-Tesla drivers should be set a little more than what it would normally cost them. A "convenience" tax, if you will.
If it's only a mile (even in Bay Area traffic), the higher charging rate at the SuperCharger will more than makeup the extra travel time.

BTW: It's widely considered bad for battery health to use fast charging as your primary charging method. You're primary energy source should be a L2 EVSE.

• Disagree
Reactions: smatthew
If it's only a mile (even in Bay Area traffic), the higher charging rate at the SuperCharger will more than makeup the extra travel time.

BTW: It's widely considered bad for battery health to use fast charging as your primary charging method. You're primary energy source should be a L2 EVSE.
The difference in charging/traveling time does not even enter into my mind. The 40% cost saving does. My charging profiles typically go from about 50% to 90%.

Yeah, I know that DC charging is best reserved for long trips. I bought a HPWC before I got my car but it's still sitting in the box in my garage. One of these days I'll get it installed....

The difference in charging/traveling time does not even enter into my mind. The 40% cost saving does. My charging profiles typically go from about 50% to 90%.

Yeah, I know that DC charging is best reserved for long trips. I bought a HPWC before I got my car but it's still sitting in the box in my garage. One of these days I'll get it installed....
Charging all the time at 150kW+ is bad for battery health. Probably not a big deal charging at 40-45kW all the time.

Now, the local AAA office claims that "Apparently Tesla adapters can break these stations." This makes no sense - These Chargepoint stations are brand new, and it would be a major flaw if Teslas can break them!
Ah, yes, I do know the origin of that legend. The CHAdeMO at our local Nissan dealer got a sign posted on it forbidding the use of any adapters, because of a couple of instances of them being supposedly "broken" by them.

Here's what's really going on. In "ye olden dayes" of early CHAdeMO deployment, there were some really crappy, badly built CHAdeMO stations, with insufficient cooling installed. At that time, the only expectation of their use was Nissan Leafs, with tiny 24 kWh batteries. So the CHAdeMO stations were built to only expect to be used for about a half hour at the most--maybe 20 minutes for most sessions. And so their cooling was just barely marginal for running that long.

When Teslas started using the stations, their much bigger batteries were starting to run these stations for an hour and a half or two hours, and they were leading to some of those el cheapo stations overheating and "breaking". So it spawned this legend that it was the adapters that "broke" the stations, when it was really just them running for longer than they were (cheaply) built for.

My local AAA offers free fast charging. Seems like the BMW owners complained that Tesla owners should charge at the supercharger nearby. Thoughts?
If you want a place to try your adapter for free charging I have had great luck with the Pala Road Park & Ride in Fallbrook, CA, and there are two DCFC stations at the AAA in Artesia, plus all the DWP stations around LA.

I don't understand why so many people say they HAVE to charge at the Free CHAdeMO and us Tesla owners can't use them because we have Superchargers. I have looked and they have WAY more places to charge than we do if we are not allowed to use anything but Tesla chargers. Locally we have Blink, many ChargePoints, Electrify America, EVGo, Greenlots, and Volta and a smattering of off-network chargers.

Plus, this is a free charger, why do you want me to pay while there is free charging deployed to encourage electric car adoption.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocky_H
I don't understand why so many people say they HAVE to charge at the Free CHAdeMO and us Tesla owners can't use them because we have Superchargers. I have looked and they have WAY more places to charge than we do if we are not allowed to use anything but Tesla chargers. Locally we have Blink, many ChargePoints, Electrify America, EVGo, Greenlots, and Volta and a smattering of off-network chargers.
That's a bit disingenuous. Sure, there are more locations, especially inside urban areas, but there are almost surely more actual Tesla plugs. Worse most new CHAdeMO locations these days have ONE CHAdeMO plug and 2 to 3 CCS Combo plugs and the charger the CHAdeMO is on is shared with a CCS plug. Sure, if you need a charge and CHAdeMO is what's available, of course use it, but if you're making some poor LEAF who needs 20 min on the only CHAdeMO plug in their range wait while you take 40-60min filling a huge (to them) battery, you can see where that might rankle.

Side question: Why are so many Tesla owners so damned cheap? I live about 5 min from a Supercharger, and the thing is ALWAYS full. It's 5 miles or so from the nearest freeway and in an affluent neighborhood. 90% of the homes in the area are single family homes, or townhomes with garages, yet there it is at 9AM on a Sunday morning full to the gills. I'm forced to believe that a significant fraction these folks have free Supercharging and are determined to get every free kW they can rather than charge in the convenience of their own garage. Bizarre.

Last edited:
Side question: Why are so many Tesla owners so damned cheap? I live about 5 min from a Supercharger, and the thing is ALWAYS full. It's 5 miles or so from the nearest freeway and in an affluent neighborhood. 90% of the homes in the area are single family homes, or townhomes with garages, yet there it is at 9AM on a Sunday morning full to the gills. I'm forced to believe that a significant fraction these folks have free Supercharging and are determined to get every free kW they can rather than charge in the convenience of their own garage. Bizarre.

Never underestimate the power of "free gas".

Are they mostly Model S/Model X?

Reactions: israndy
That's a bit disingenuous. Sure, there are more locations, especially inside urban areas, but there are almost surely more actual Tesla plugs. Worse most new CHAdeMO locations these days have ONE CHAdeMO plug and 2 to 3 CCS Combo plugs and the charger the CHAdeMO is on is shared with a CCS plug. Sure, if you need a charge and CHAdeMO is what's available, of course use it, but if you're making some poor LEAF who needs 20 min on the only CHAdeMO plug in their range wait while you take 40-60min filling a huge (to them) battery, you can see where that might rankle.

Not saying it's extremely rational to save a few cents when you own a $100k vehicle (or even a $50k vehicle for that matter), but there is generally a link between frugality and wealth.

Side question: Why are so many Tesla owners so damned cheap?
there is generally a link between frugality and wealth.
For reference: The Millionaire Next Door, by Thomas Stanley