Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMO Initial Impressions...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see that a CHadeMO station has been installed in downtown Huntsville, AL; I read it was donated to the city by Nissan. There is not a fee to use the charging station itself, but you have to pay $2 per hour for the parking space while charging. If true, sounds like this is a good deal for users. (I wonder - is this an uncommon way of provisioning these units, or are other cities doing this?)

This is a fairly standard way of charging for chargers -- parking is valuable, and metering time is much easier than metering electricity. I don't know how common it is with Chademo in particular.

The problem with the CHAdeMO stations is that they do actually require periodic maintenance (cleaning air filters and the like). I'd be worried about relying on a donated charger where no one will ever maintain it once it's installed.

#RANT:

Just got back from a CHAdeMO hunt to test out my new adapter and record a How-To video and review video.
Results were not good, not good at all. And not Tesla's fault either.

First 2 stations, one was ICED by a campus shuttle van that looks like it hadn't been moved in weeks (Covered with thick snow). Couldn't get to it. Thought no loss, it was a 25kW unit at the University. Went to the University's other 25kW unit, offline. That sucks.
Went to the next one. A Nissan Station. Temperature Sensor Error, Contact unit administrator. Went to the front desk to let them know it was offline. The front desk people didn't even know they had a Charging station (Despite it being 20 ft from the front entrance where they sit and work for 8hrs/day...)

Fourth try, was the MOST Disappointing.
I went to ABB themselves. YES, the PEOPLE THAT MAKE THE DARN STATION! First, pulled up. RFID Card required according to the sign on it. Said see front desk attendant. Went in. Attendant said sorry, no go, it's offline. I said Oh.... She said it's been down for 2-3 MONTHS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, THE COMPANY THAT MAKES THEIR CHAdeMO STATIONS OWN STATION HAS BEEN OFFLINE FOR MONTHS! She gave me the number of the man in charge of repairing it. Talked with him. He said, yah, been down for a while. The cord is damaged. Said it was his fault not repaired yet. Said he ordered the wrong one from HQ. I said "Oh". Then I asked when it would expected to be back online. He said about the 20th of MARCH!!!! Another MONTH. So ABB's own station, will be offline for 4 MONTHS! @_@ Disappointing.
I expected problems with the Nissan Branded Station, as I already knew of the plague of Temp Sensor errors, but ABB? And a Month to get a replacement cord whip???

Now, I was interested in potentially down the road purchasing a CHAdeMO station for family business, but, ABB, Constructive Criticism, thats a BAD way to sell them!

So, all CHAdeMO stations in Milwaukee County are offline.
Next closest, Illinois, or Madison Wisconsin. I might try the Madison one Saturday, or Friday Night. I know that ones online, at least according to Plug Share, someone used it within the last couple days. And it's run as part of a Pilot Program my Madison Gas and Electric (MG&E). They will be switching that one to a for profit unit (Charging to Charge) starting beginning of April. But until then, I have a RFID Access card I've been itching for over a year to use on that station :)

Wow, that's disappointing! But I'm not surprised. I used plugshare to check all the CHAdeMOs in my area and it seems like half of them are either down or have limited access. The ones that do work have the problem that it's usually only one charger. There is a good chance it's used when you arrive.

I live in Madison and am so glad I didn't bother getting chademo equipped leaf when I leased in 2013 because I didn't think that Nissan would do a good job of getting stations installed and usable. The MG&E station in town is Useless because it is too close to home. I don't trust that I can use the ABB charger due to it being private and limited access. Everything else is outside the vehicle range. This is another reason why I think that chademo is a dead end system outside of Japan.

My leaf Lease is up soon I will have supercharger access in April. Thanks for all the videos!

I live in Madison and am so glad I didn't bother getting chademo equipped leaf when I leased in 2013 because I didn't think that Nissan would do a good job of getting stations installed and usable. The MG&E station in town is Useless because it is too close to home. I don't trust that I can use the ABB charger due to it being private and limited access. Everything else is outside the vehicle range. This is another reason why I think that chademo is a dead end system outside of Japan.

My leaf Lease is up soon I will have supercharger access in April. Thanks for all the videos!
Your Welcome.
The MG&E I will say is surprisingly on the ball when it comes to keeping there charging network online. Every station outtage, they send a mass email to everyone on there list alerting them to the outtage, likewise when the station is repaired or back in service, and for upgrades.
I have a feeling Scott Marshall at Marshall Auto Body will also be on the ball, given his commitment already. 2x80amp stations, 70kW of solar, and now a CHAdeMO being installed. And given that he's a Tesla Authorized Body Shop, I'd say he will definately keep that thing online.
But I agree, it's mostly useless for traveling in the "Low Range" EV's. Accept to get a fast charge to continue a days errands. But we only have 5 CHAdeMO's currently in the entire state. 4 in Milwaukee, 3 were offline 1 was iced, but might have been offline, since it was iced didnt even bother to check. and #5 in Madison, is online, but Madison is island'd to the point it's useless accept for faster then level 2 charging to finish a days work.

#RANT:

Just got back from a CHAdeMO hunt to test out my new adapter and record a How-To video and review video.
Results were not good, not good at all. And not Tesla's fault either.

First 2 stations, one was ICED by a campus shuttle van that looks like it hadn't been moved in weeks (Covered with thick snow). Couldn't get to it. Thought no loss, it was a 25kW unit at the University. Went to the University's other 25kW unit, offline. That sucks.
Went to the next one. A Nissan Station. Temperature Sensor Error, Contact unit administrator. Went to the front desk to let them know it was offline. The front desk people didn't even know they had a Charging station (Despite it being 20 ft from the front entrance where they sit and work for 8hrs/day...)

Fourth try, was the MOST Disappointing.
I went to ABB themselves. YES, the PEOPLE THAT MAKE THE DARN STATION! First, pulled up. RFID Card required according to the sign on it. Said see front desk attendant. Went in. Attendant said sorry, no go, it's offline. I said Oh.... She said it's been down for 2-3 MONTHS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, THE COMPANY THAT MAKES THEIR CHAdeMO STATIONS OWN STATION HAS BEEN OFFLINE FOR MONTHS! She gave me the number of the man in charge of repairing it. Talked with him. He said, yah, been down for a while. The cord is damaged. Said it was his fault not repaired yet. Said he ordered the wrong one from HQ. I said "Oh". Then I asked when it would expected to be back online. He said about the 20th of MARCH!!!! Another MONTH. So ABB's own station, will be offline for 4 MONTHS! @_@ Disappointing.
I expected problems with the Nissan Branded Station, as I already knew of the plague of Temp Sensor errors, but ABB? And a Month to get a replacement cord whip???

Now, I was interested in potentially down the road purchasing a CHAdeMO station for family business, but, ABB, Constructive Criticism, thats a BAD way to sell them!

So, all CHAdeMO stations in Milwaukee County are offline.
Next closest, Illinois, or Madison Wisconsin. I might try the Madison one Saturday, or Friday Night. I know that ones online, at least according to Plug Share, someone used it within the last couple days. And it's run as part of a Pilot Program my Madison Gas and Electric (MG&E). They will be switching that one to a for profit unit (Charging to Charge) starting beginning of April. But until then, I have a RFID Access card I've been itching for over a year to use on that station :)

My experience with CHAdeMO charging stations has been similar, but not as bad. I have found more that are offline/don't work than not. Still, in the bay area, there are 79 Level-3 charging stations in the same area that has 3 superchargers (one of those is the Tesla Factory). So the reason this adapter is of value is simply to increase the availability of charging locations which effectively increases the range.

Plugshare is a great source of information on the state of any individual charger.

- - - Updated - - -

Wait - islandbayy what is a P120? And how did you get one?

Loyd

CHAdeMO is an abbreviation of "CHArge de MOve", equivalent to "move using charge" or "move by charge". The name is a grammatically awkward pun for O cha demo ikaga desuka in Japanese,[1] translating to English as "How about some tea?", referring to the time it would take to charge a car.[2] CHAdeMO can charge low-range electric cars in less than half an hour.

DoMO ArigaTO

My experience with CHAdeMO charging stations has been similar, but not as bad. I have found more that are offline/don't work than not. Still, in the bay area, there are 79 Level-3 charging stations in the same area that has 3 superchargers (one of those is the Tesla Factory). So the reason this adapter is of value is simply to increase the availability of charging locations which effectively increases the range.

Plugshare is a great source of information on the state of any individual charger.

- - - Updated - - -

Wait - islandbayy what is a P120? And how did you get one?
Took two 60kW packs, mine and one from a salvage car and doubled them up. Had to put shims in my suspension to raise the height of the car so the second pack wouldn't ground out. Completely reversible. I used duck tape :)

- - - Updated - - -

Got to test the adapter out today finally. Was disappointed with the results. Most likely the stations fault.

One of the 20kW stations that were ICED yesterday, the one I didnt check, was open today, and ONLINE!!! WOW!!! Couldn't believe that.

Anyways, first off, plugged in the adapter to the CHAdeMO cable. seems to click and lock in.... I wiggle it and all seems sturdy and strong (And I was suprised how light the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter it, but the CHAdeMO itself is heavy as heck!).
Anyways, move the wand and adapter over to the charge port, the adapter pops right off the end and bounces..... All I thought was Oh Sh-Bleep...... Sounded fairly empty inside though...

Re-attached, tried again. Plugged er in, and hit the stations start button, and IT WORKED!!!!!!! YAY!!!!
Expected, since I only had a 33% Charge, about 55ish rated miles on my 60 pack, that I'd get the full 20kW. Thats a Big NOPE Houston! Most I was able to get was 12kW. Now, I'll take that over one of them common 30 amp J1772's any day, but c'mon.........

40 amp charge rate at 309v. 12kW about 56 miles per hour, which dropped to about 48ish as charging commenced.

I made a first time video of the process, will be uploading this evening. Going to try and get to Madison this weekend to use the 44kW MG&E unit, and do a higher power video. On top of that, I will have my thermal camera to check the adapters temps at higher power.

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_5967.JPG
IMG_5968.JPG
IMG_5969.JPG
IMG_5970.JPG
IMG_5971.JPG
IMG_5972.JPG
IMG_5973.JPG

Charged today at an ABB station here in Tallinn. The in-city ones are limited in input power to 35kW so max you get is 30-35kW from it. Attached the adapter to the CHAdeMO cord, then to car and even though it took us 5 min to get the charger authorized (was testing with an ABB chap and he tried activating via phone, but that didn't work so he ended his own AC charging at some point and used his card as it was a test so I didn't use my own swipe card). Hitting start and the charger quickly did a safety test and started charging. Was getting around 30kW power at start and around 27-28kW later on. When I arrived I had 73% SoC, but unlikely it impacted.

Some photos:
IMG_0961.jpg
IMG_0962.jpg
IMG_0963.jpg
IMG_0964.jpg

Well, as usual, I'm good at finding bugs and what not. I discovered one of the reasons that Tesla really didn't like the idea of allowing a 3rd party system direct access to there precious battery packs.... Mine almost got COOKED last night. Should I start a new thread for this? I think so, let me know if you agree. I did a video on the problem, it's uploading right now. I am reviewing my notes and what happened a bit more, but I will say the car protected it self! and opened the contsctors until problem resolved then resumed charging. was half asleep, so will continue this in the morning with fresh head :) but, it sure does appear the chademo station tried pumping in power at voltages over 120v HIGHER then my pack is rated at.

Well, as usual, I'm good at finding bugs and what not. I discovered one of the reasons that Tesla really didn't like the idea of allowing a 3rd party system direct access to there precious battery packs.... Mine almost got COOKED last night. Should I start a new thread for this? I think so, let me know if you agree. I did a video on the problem, it's uploading right now. I am reviewing my notes and what happened a bit more, but I will say the car protected it self! and opened the contsctors until problem resolved then resumed charging. was half asleep, so will continue this in the morning with fresh head :) but, it sure does appear the chademo station tried pumping in power at voltages over 120v HIGHER then my pack is rated at.

If you start a new thread, please post a link here. You have me concerned about using the adapter and want to hear your experience.

So I have tried my adapter now with 3 different stations. In all three cases it errors out 3 or 4 times at first and then I am eventually able to get it to work. Are others experiencing the same thing? The manual refers to occasional firmware upgrades for the adapter. Anyone know if tesla has released any yet?

You were probably seeing the isolation check process. I'm not sure why the car displayed it, but it happens before all chademo sessions. The contactors stay open, and the station applies voltage to see if any current leaks. If anything leaks, there is a compromise in the circuit isolation, and it prevents the session from continuing.

I apologize, in the spec it's called out as "Insulation test for DC Current" (Page 38).

To summarize:

Charger applies test voltage to DC side of charging circuit to check from ground fault and short circuit inside the charger and within the charging cable. Test is conducted before each charging session. The test is stopped immediately if anything out of the ordinary occurs.

Chademo station is looking for 100 kohm resistance between positive and negative bus minimum.

Can you tell us what kind of stations they were?

Not it sure how to answer this. One was a Blink station, the other two are eVgo. All three are Level-3 CHAdeMO stations. Beyond that I don't have a descriptor for them

- - - Updated - - -

You were probably seeing the isolation check process. I'm not sure why the car displayed it, but it happens before all chademo sessions. The contactors stay open, and the station applies voltage to see if any current leaks. If anything leaks, there is a compromise in the circuit isolation, and it prevents the session from continuing.

Well the the error is reported by the charging station not just the car (in some cases the car reported no errors). I would have to completely restart the charge process to get things going. In 2 of the cases I physically disconnected the charging station before it finally worked.

Would this align to what you are suggesting? If so it is a horrible user experience.